home

Author Topic: Finlay's AdMech army blog  (Read 38594 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Finlay's AdMech army blog
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 08:02:28 AM »
Might as well - the whole UK is turning BLUE

Two blue tanks rolling across the country ....................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 11:47:24 AM »
Might as well - the whole UK is turning BLUE

Two blue tanks rolling across the country ....................  :engel:
really?

although I don't fancy yellow, it's a bugger to paint.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
Sand/khaki?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »
Finlay ... are you planning to put photos in here of that awesome looking army I've seen elsewhere?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
oh! I was wondering if I should start my own one, but Guess I already had! yes, I will move photos into here and leave the other thread for other people who are doing Skitarii stuff, (or perhaps if GW do anything else that excites people!)

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
They look really good. I also like the red and blue combo. Im not sure about the tan for the severtor driver of the walker. Id consider either a more red brown or a dark blue For his clothes.
For the reinforced concrete walls for the base you can use some foam card for the concrete wall, with a coat of sand and pva mix to create texture. Then add little bits of wire poked into the foam of the card for the reinforcing bar. The wire makes  the bit look like a piece of wall with re bar.

Have you considered some browned grass tuffs for the bases as well, not to much, but especially on the larger bases. Plants prevail in the toughest conditions.
YUes, wasn't convinced by the driver. I think dark blue will just merge into the Skitarii and walker's blue though.

where do you buy all that stuff? can i get foam card in an arts craft store, or need more ebaying? I think that would probably look quite good on them.

And yes I had considered buying some of the "scorched" army painter tufts. I reckon a terraformed mars-ish planet would have some!

Hmm - I have a bag of 'em. Maybe I didn't get them from eBay?

Etsy has some https://www.etsy.com/search?q=watch%20gears
cheapest on ebay is like £20.
on etsy £7, plus P&P presumably.

I'm not sure it will look good (as in, like vehicle wreckage and not "look! steampunk cogs!") so not overly willing to shell out a tenner

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 10:13:40 PM »
Yes just foam card from wherever, also any type of wire, as long as it isnt to thick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWS-2-x-50-4mm-Self-Adhesive-Static-Grass-Tufts-Dolls-House-1-12-to-1-48-/171703793011?var=&hash=item27fa57f573

For tuffs
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
cheap tufts! bought some.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son

Pass the machete.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 05:27:41 AM »
One of the problems I have had is that the cock-munching eu have made it so you need a courier if you buy paint and we have very few hobby stores in cornwall. I end up getting supplies on the yearly drive to London or at Xmas when for some reasons our garden centres start selling loads of scenic crap for Xmas scenes.

It may not be much help finlay but I get lots of scenic bits as off shoots of diy projects so keep your eyes open for bits of wire etc

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »
One of the problems I have had is that the cock-munching eu have made it so you need a courier if you buy paint
Really? This sounds bizzare. I knew about the flight restrictions for spray paint, but acrylic paint is about as dangerous as water.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-3mm-5mm-Matt-White-Foam-PVC-Sheet-A4-A3-Foamex-Foam-PVC-Sheet-Sign-Board-/300699004210
this, fr1day? 3 mm version?

5mm is best, easier to put the wire in. Also a wall is 300mm thick IRL so it scales better.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »
I bought some n-gauge model railway walls, think will be ok... if not i'll order some of that!
as well as pin vice and some wire from little model trainshop. Hobby/craft store in town has closed down and lgs doesnt do scenery!

gonna order some barrels online.

I posted on warseer and people suggested the stuff I put on 'strider base is too clean, not sure how to dirty them up... maybe some rust effect on wire and girders, and either agrax earth shade or some brown drybrush on the rocks?

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »
Use some foam from a blister pack and some tin bitz paint and dab the spounge in paint, then paper to remove excess, then onto girders etc to create a rust spot effect. Then go over it with a lighter dab of matt orange. This will look like rust, but keep it light. They thinned black ink over all once dry.
The barded wire needs a count of gyphone sepia and agrax mix, then a thinned black ink once dry. This will age it.

So why you complaining!

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2015, 09:07:31 PM »
Man, do blister packs still have a bit of foam in them? I just had a flashback to four lead imperial guardsmen in a blister pack about twenty years ago. I feel old.

You may find that those flakes of stone from the angle grinder will be useful. Just keep an eye out before you throw things away.

How are you arming your descriptors finlay? I've gone for three with grav cannon and flamer and am debating about the other three.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
If I recall, the foam is gone, unless an older blister is bought, and only Finecrud now.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
my home made walls look shit! grr. This is why I don't make scenery!

Gonna try again, then Pig Iron do a sprue of ruined walls, and I also could buy a GW building and chop it up. (Basilica administratum, £16 from wayland).

Blue coats finished on the next 5 Skitarii. Added a bleached bone border to the cloaks as per warseer suggestion.
Also wondering if I should do inside of cloak a different colour for more contrast (which the GW painters did)- possibly bleached bone again, matching with the border.

Not sure! Haven't built them yet. Not sure how to arm the robots either. Depends on the formations you use (Tempted by the deepstriking one, which means build the destructs as the CC variant)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:36:33 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »
From reading on various forums and also youtube bat reps it seems like all phosphor is the way most go with the robots. I went with the power fists because i think the phosphor blasters can look like kak. That said I think the right paint job might do them wonders.

I want to go for breachers for the arc rifles but the problem is that the ccw seems like a complete waste of a hardpoint; they do look cool though.

For walls just a bit of polystyrene or wood and cover it in the ready made filler you buy for plaster repairs to give it a texture and then black spray and drybrush. I'm trying to get hold of 'how to make wargames terrain' on ebay which i remember is awesome.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
My bro bought me a "how to make wargames terrain", and i actually kept a bunch of polystyrene to do terrain with that I totally forgot about. Pretty sure I've got some filler somewhere as well so I might try that option!

The problem with my walls was texturing with sand pva. One time too much sand to pva, and the texture is too much, too heavy and thick, almost looks like a mossy wall.
Then the next time not enough sand, the glue slowly slid off, and can still see too much of the underneath wall.

I thought the formation with 2 units, and a Dominus priest, one with Powerfist ans the other phosphor was a good shout. but a bit deathstarry, and 680 points!

I would only use the breachers if using the deep strike formation.

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »
Try mixing the sand with a mix of pva and cheap paint. The paint will stabilise it and stop it sliding off. Polyfilla is ok but it can look a little smooth for the scale.

I big part of it is the painting. It completely changes the look. Even if you are not happy with it unpainted, a little black paint drybrushed grey will make it look great. Have faith.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »
crappy wall pics

I think it needs a mini layer of rubble around the bottom to show parts of the wall crumbling off.

Pass the machete.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Looking good

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2015, 09:29:11 PM »
Hmmm, it doesn't look bad as is, yet I can see it looking good with additional rubble, too.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2015, 09:40:52 PM »
It looks okay. The rubble at the base will make it look better connected to the base.

From a  technical view you mixed to much sànd into the pva. Try mixing it with paint and pva.

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
Any more progress?

So why you complaining!