home

Author Topic: Upcoming and Current Movies ...  (Read 176851 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Upcoming and Current Movies ...
« Reply #1400 on: December 19, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »
The entire film was cooked up just to get Jennifer Jason Leigh to run around naked for a little while.

Sounds like a great film to me!

A little ways off, but I am stoked for the new Dune movies coming out. I love Denis Villeneuve's work, and the cast is tight:

Rebecca Ferguson   ...   Lady Jessica
Timothée Chalamet   ...   Paul Atreides
Zendaya   ...   Chani
Jason Momoa   ...   Duncan Idaho
Oscar Isaac   ...   Duke Leto Atreides
Dave Bautista   ...   Glossu 'Beast' Rabban
Josh Brolin   ...   Gurney Halleck
Stellan Skarsgård   ...   Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Javier Bardem   ...   Stilgar

I didn't know anything about Timothée and thought he looked a little odd, but then I saw the Netflix film Henry and was like, yep, he's going to rock it. Pretty much a slam dunk cast it should be awesome.

For the record I like the original too, even tho its a mess. Been trying to read the novel for like 2 years now but just don't have the time.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #1401 on: December 19, 2019, 08:29:29 PM »
Important question. How does the upcoming Ghostbusters film fit into the timeline of the others?
Its pretty much Ghostbusters 3. If you watch the trailer, Paul Rudd shows them some 80s new clips of the first movie saying "back in the 80s it was like The Walking Dead"

The two main characters are Egon's grandchildren.

Just watch the trailer! It looks good and some of the scenes look like its based off the old 80s/90s cartoon show with the ecto1. One movie critic I follow said to him it seemed like the goonies but with ghostbusters.

Yeah I saw the trailer too and are looking forward to it. I bet it serves as a sort of sequel/reboot since these kids are pretty young and if the movie does well there will prob be a sequel.

I know he's old as dirt now, but would love to see Bill Murray make an appearance. Without dying for god's sake.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1402 on: December 19, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »
A little ways off, but I am stoked for the new Dune movies coming out. I love Denis Villeneuve's work, and the cast is tight:

Rebecca Ferguson   ...   Lady Jessica
Timothée Chalamet   ...   Paul Atreides
Zendaya   ...   Chani
Jason Momoa   ...   Duncan Idaho
Oscar Isaac   ...   Duke Leto Atreides
Dave Bautista   ...   Glossu 'Beast' Rabban
Josh Brolin   ...   Gurney Halleck
Stellan Skarsgård   ...   Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Javier Bardem   ...   Stilgar

I didn't know anything about Timothée and thought he looked a little odd, but then I saw the Netflix film Henry and was like, yep, he's going to rock it. Pretty much a slam dunk cast it should be awesome.

For the record I like the original too, even tho its a mess. Been trying to read the novel for like 2 years now but just don't have the time.
You should check out the Dune thread. http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=50495.25 I have only read the first novel but its really good.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1403 on: December 20, 2019, 07:23:28 PM »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1404 on: December 20, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1405 on: December 20, 2019, 09:12:36 PM »
Is that one of the characters from Farscape?

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1406 on: December 21, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
Is that one of the characters from Farscape?

That was a good show.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1407 on: December 23, 2019, 03:46:52 AM »
Don’t know if this is a new movie but but it’s Jim Carey so I suspect not. It’s the animated version of ‘The Christmas Carol’ and I find I really liked it. The only weak part was the chase scene with the ghost of Christmas future. Otherwise I liked this second only to the 1952 version which is untouchable.
It was on the Disney channel which we just signed up for online. The only problem is that there’s a glitch that pauses for about 2 seconds regularly. Not the soundtrack but the film. Most frustrating.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1408 on: December 24, 2019, 12:11:34 PM »
I wound up seeing Episode 9. I don't know why. I would have probably liked it more if the lights didn't remain on halfway through the film and there weren't 48 minutes of local adds and trailers

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1409 on: December 29, 2019, 05:44:00 PM »
I've only seen Treasure Planet in bits and pieces (and very few bits and pieces) but after watching Cinemawins about it, I decided to watch it.

HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS FOR SO LONG!!! Its great! Maybe its because I am a parent now but I went red faced, giving myself a headache, trying not to cry at the part where Jim and Silver are bonding mid film as the Goo Goo Dolls play. Beautifully put together story and the character designs and universe are just wonderful. I am surprised there isn't a "Guns of Icarus" style game set in this style. I remember watching a cartoon version of Treasure Island when I was a young kid on Nickelodeon, and I had seen Muppet Treasure Island, so I remember some parts of the narrative and was excited to see the parallels between the story and this sci-fi version. Jim's growth and the father figure he finally got was just so believable and somehow realistic. All in all, a solid film.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1410 on: December 29, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »
I've only seen Treasure Planet in bits and pieces (and very few bits and pieces) but after watching Cinemawins about it, I decided to watch it.

HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS FOR SO LONG!!! Its great! Maybe its because I am a parent now but I went red faced, giving myself a headache, trying not to cry at the part where Jim and Silver are bonding mid film as the Goo Goo Dolls play. Beautifully put together story and the character designs and universe are just wonderful. I am surprised there isn't a "Guns of Icarus" style game set in this style. I remember watching a cartoon version of Treasure Island when I was a young kid on Nickelodeon, and I had seen Muppet Treasure Island, so I remember some parts of the narrative and was excited to see the parallels between the story and this sci-fi version. Jim's growth and the father figure he finally got was just so believable and somehow realistic. All in all, a solid film.

I was obsessed with Treasure Island when I was young. I own several adaptions of it. The one to avoid is a 1995 cartoon adaption which features a Fred Flintstone esque Long John

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1411 on: December 30, 2019, 04:33:27 AM »
Treasure planet and the various Treasure Islands are all awesome. Especially the Muppet one!

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1412 on: December 30, 2019, 05:28:36 AM »
The one to avoid is a 1995 cartoon adaption which features a Fred Flintstone esque Long John
I am curious if its the one I saw on Nick as a kid. If so, it was my first time experiencing Treasure Island. Never finished it though. We had to leave at about the part where Jim meets the marooned guy that snagged Jim in a trap.

Treasure planet and the various Treasure Islands are all awesome. Especially the Muppet one!
I liked the Muppet one, but after seeing Treasure Planet, I think Planet is my new favorite adaptation.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1413 on: January 21, 2020, 04:27:56 AM »
Just saw ‘Valerian and the city of a thousand planets’.
I liked it. Thought it was fun. I think sci-fi isn’t popular anymore though.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1414 on: January 21, 2020, 05:25:32 PM »
I don't know about that. They still seem to pump out a fair bit of Sci Fi. Ad Astra, Star Wars, Alita Battle Angel. Although when I googled a list I noticed they seem to lump most marvel movies under sci fi these days and that seems pretty wrong to me.

I liked the idea of Valerian, but was disappointed in most of the movie. The two main characters have like anti chemistry or something and I just wanted them off the screen to show more trippy scenery.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1415 on: January 21, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
Well, half the cast of Marvel movies have been aliens or using science in a fantastical way.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1416 on: January 22, 2020, 03:48:35 AM »
Sure, i mean sci-fi more as like far fetched fantasy sci-fi like the 5th element and the like.
Star wars is established sci-fi so doesnt really count, and ad astra, the martian, and interstellar are all close to achieveable sci fi.
Was Alita popular? I liked it, but didnt think it was a big hit?
What I mean by popular, is I think the public are more consumed with superhero movies nowadays that experiment sci-fi generally by critics and audiences is not liked as much? Have a look at the last star trek movie - way more sci-fi and traditional star trek feel, but least successful.

I dont know, just a feeling I have.

Regarding the main characters ‘anti-chemistry’ i just think they chose a poorly for Valerian. He was very specific in his acting style, and I think it hurt what they were going for. But I’m not familiar with the source material - perhaps he nailed the look?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1417 on: January 22, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »
I think that's fair and a good point. I doubt Alita did that well. There was a ton of advertising, but not that much actual discussion or chatter once it game out.

For Valerian I have no idea about source material. I didn't even know it was based on anything until recently. I found the women really didn't mesh with him. She just seemed bored 90% of the time.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1418 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:42 PM »
Saw Jojo Rabbit today and it was a most excellent film. The world seen through a sensitive ten year old's eyes. Will see it again with Ruth!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1419 on: January 23, 2020, 12:55:34 PM »
Not sure where to put this. I’m sure there’s a podcast thread somewhere but can’t locate it.
This is about Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcast. I’ve just finished show #50 Blueprint of Armageddon. And starting #51 BoA #2.
Very dynamic and thought provoking lesson on recent military history (Napoleon to WW2) so far.
Got it on Spotify and now can’t listen to anything else.
I can’t do an explanation any justice. Just try listening a bit. Really amazing way of recapping everything we already know and terrifying us further.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1420 on: January 24, 2020, 11:44:01 PM »
She just seemed bored 90% of the time.

I thought thats how the character was supposed to be portrayed. Bored, too cool for school, etc.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1421 on: February 02, 2020, 02:30:26 AM »
I’ve always lead the spearhead in new and unchartered experience so I have to tell you I’ve just watched the ‘Coneheads’ movie for the first time. Yes, yes I hear you now saying ‘ how do you keep ahead of the curve’.
It was only 1993 when it was made. That was/is a funny movie. I recommend this for a good laugh.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:38:04 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1422 on: February 03, 2020, 07:28:56 AM »
I’ve always lead the spearhead in new and unchartered experience so I have to tell you I’ve just watched the ‘Coneheads’ movie for the first time. Yes, yes I hear you now saying ‘ how do you keep ahead of the curve’.
It was only 1993 when it was made. That was/is a funny movie. I recommend this for a good laugh.

Adam Sandler has a minor role in it. Fortunately he doesn't speak his lines in an insufferable manor. Nor is he juvenile for the sake of being juvenile.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1423 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:38 PM »
One of my favorite SNL movies. Up there with Waynes World, Tommy Boy, and The Three Amigos. Admittedly I haven't seen Blues Brothers. Always seem to catch it in the middle so I end up passing because I'd rather watch things I haven't seen from the beginning.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1424 on: February 03, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra