home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS  (Read 258342 times)

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS
« Reply #625 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
I really can't get the 40k look everyone keeps talking about. These guys are great but wouldn't last long on a 40k battlefield without a serious upgrade.

I just see a bunch of dialed to 11 steampunk dwarves with advanced muskets who look like they belong under the ocean.(haha, with Tzeentch beforehand and Lovecraft Aelves coming up I wonder if that's the theme?)

The top-hat lord is my favorite, best mix of being dapper and authority. :biggriin:

My birthday's coming up and he's on my list along with the battletome.

You've been doing your homework! So much stuff!getting my head around flying assault dwarves 😸This is going to be fun

Nah, I just report what I see.

This is doing your homework:

Quote from: Carnikang 690078 9253811 1b87dbf173ba4e30bc5699304558515d.jpg
Quote from: H.B.M.C. 690078 9253799 a60de1168ea7f87d01569451f99d5d72.jpg

Quote from: NinthMusketeer 690078 9253513 90f12b2ac611d905c7a0947bb2b7b1bd.png
Its been itching me why the style seems so familiar, I realize now its the similarity to Elder Scrolls Dwemer I'm thinking of (in a good way).

I see the same thing.

Squats + Dwemer = Karakakarkkon™ Overlaeords™

Despite the amusing naming habits that have shown up, Kharardron actually takes words/roots from the old Dwarven language in WHFB.

Kharar - A possible adaptation of Khaz, meaning underground chamber/hall; possibly Skyhall/ship
Dron - Thunder

So, possibly Thunder Sky-dwelling? Meaning they are Overlords of the Thundering Skyships?

Reference found here. http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Khazalid

Also, forgot to post this cool paint job:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/5zc4k0/hubert_questor_of_the_galaxy/
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Duinila

• Members
« Reply #626 on: March 15, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »
So yea, steam punk dworfs!That's a thing now. Looking at a facebook page for AoS I am in, the minds seem to be pretty split on the subject of them tbh

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #627 on: March 15, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »
Oh hey, haven't seen you in a while! :biggriin:

The split opinions are to be expected. Some people were expecting upgraded regular dwarfs and rune golems(even though every sign since the beginning pointed to mechanized cloud armies) but what they got is a bigger step away from the Old World.

Then there's the whole "too many guns so it's 40k-lite" arguments which are just silly.

On the whole though, they are pretty well-received all over.

The upcoming Shadowkin should be interesting to see people's reaction at dark elves going Lovecraft. :icon_lol:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #628 on: March 15, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
Then there's the whole "too many guns so it's 40k-lite" arguments which are just silly.

I don't know I think it is warranted, clock-work Squats is equidistant from fantasy Dwarfs.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #629 on: March 15, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
I generally like them. Not blown away into "OMG AMAZING!" land but still pretty happy with them. I'd like to see the sky ship painted to look more like a blimp them metal, but otherwise I'm good with steampunk dwarves.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #630 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
Can't say that I like the steampunk aesthetic. Maybe I just hate fun?

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #631 on: March 15, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
Nah, just isn't to your taste. That's why there's so many "punks" out there in the first place. :-D

They said there's going to be alot of releases this year so it's better to save your money anyway. Maybe keep a Christmas list on hand. :wink:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #632 on: March 15, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
yuck
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #633 on: March 15, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
These are pretty much exactly as I expected them to be.  Better even.  But can I afford to start another army?   Proabably not.  REally tempted to get one of the airships though

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #634 on: March 15, 2017, 11:02:52 PM »
Nah, just isn't to your taste. That's why there's so many "punks" out there in the first place. :-D

They said there's going to be alot of releases this year so it's better to save your money anyway. Maybe keep a Christmas list on hand. :wink:

Oh I don't plan on buying much more this year. I already got plenty of things to sink my brush into.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #635 on: March 15, 2017, 11:21:13 PM »
What gas is supposed to be in those? Lighter than hydrogen? I dont see how they work.

Way too many guns (the gatling especially - but i hated the skaven one of those too), and the chain sword is not a good addition.

Love the concept though. And i think the airship could be really good with a bigger gas container above.

Good and bad. Interesting.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #636 on: March 15, 2017, 11:29:09 PM »
What gas is supposed to be in those? Lighter than hydrogen? I dont see how they work.

EM drive.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #637 on: March 16, 2017, 12:29:19 AM »
yuck

I look forward to your reaction with the Lovecraft Aelves.  :biggriin:

Way too many guns (the gatling especially - but i hated the skaven one of those too), and the chain sword is not a good addition.

Love the concept though. And i think the airship could be really good with a bigger gas container above.

Good and bad. Interesting.

I'm wondering about their machinery too. Their fluff mentioned they use alchemy and even a bit of the arcane so they could've made a new gas entirely or lighter materials for their ships. That they're in a realm of magic metal where the skies are filled with rare minerals but also deadly gasses could have a key part to play as well.

I'm gonna have a fun time reading their battletome to find out. :-D

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #638 on: March 16, 2017, 12:39:11 AM »

EM drive.

😸👆

I think these guys will grow on me. Third time I've looked and liking more and more. Looking forward to a new book on them. Any warscrolls out yet?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #639 on: March 16, 2017, 01:12:50 AM »
They won't be out till April but I'll keep my eyes peeled for leaks.  :smile2:

Also, interesting conversation I had on Dakka:

Quote from: Invul 690078 9253956 null
Quote from: Baron Klatz 690078 9253819 null

Quote from: Invul 690078 9253819 null
As the creator of the Dwemer, I heartily approve.

Care to elaborate? :)

Sure! I was the world designer for Bethesda's Elder Scrolls adventure game, Redguard, where the Dwemer first debuted, er, physically. (Previously, the Dwarves had only been mentioned as having disappeared.) The first Steam Centurions, Centurion Spheres, Airships, Dwemeri brass visages, etc., all appeared in that game. After that, I became the art director/world designer for Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, where even more of the Dwemer culture was revealed, primarily in the expanded versions of their ruins. Good times.

Anyhoo, I love these new models, and collecting them will have a small feeling of meeting old friends.

(I then squeed like any fanboy but you don't need that part of the comments  :wink: )

Then we have a glimpse of the new game:

Quote from: guru 690078 9255502 null
from twitter

This is a new board game coming from GW that is "very different than anything we've done"...coming later this year.

Don't worry, they said it'd have all new models. :biggriin:

[Edit]: Oh, here's some hints at the upcoming Lovecraft Aelves:

Quote from: Mymearan 690078 9254949 2bf8706c263775725193980811454140.jpg
This:

Quote from: Warhams-77 690078 9238385 null
This has been posted?

Hastings on Disqus/War of Sigmar (quotes via gw-fanworld.net)

As for the image, well I believe I MAY have already posted a week or so ago about what this could well be (of course I could be totally wrong, but it looks like what was described to me as the new Aelves faction for AoS, with a very deep one/cthulu feel - I do still feel that the eyes are very much Tau, but we never really got to see the facial features of the mistweaver from AoS ST did we?)
No more than everyone else really, I know there's at least one airship, other than that I "assume" they'll look similar in many ways to the cogsmith model aesthetically, but I guess a little more OTT and steampunkish. Quite looking forward to seeing them. As for exact release date I was expecting end of March, I was told they would be "NEXT" for AoS.

Which made people look closer at other minis to see this (tentacle on base):

And combined with older minis like this

And now this

It's certainly plausible.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:15:43 AM by Baron von Klatz »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #640 on: March 16, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
I really like the new Steam Dwarves. They fit really well into AoS theme. I'm also really curious about that Shadespire game. Wonder if it'll be a new version of Mordheim, what with GW ressurecting Necromunda and all.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #641 on: March 16, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Setting aside my traditionalist view of the Warhammer world (ie, to me these are massively out of place but potentially not for AoS) i do actually like the steam ships.

The rest just look too futuristic.

Any new aelfs won't bother me, as i don't have an elf army
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #642 on: March 16, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
Eh, some parts look arcane/sci-fi (or Jules Verne electric submarinish as my friend says) and some look Victorian Steampunk.

A little mix for everyone which is kinda the AoS vibe. At least it's agreed the ships look ace. :-D
Wonder if it'll be a new version of Mordheim, what with GW ressurecting Necromunda and all.

That's the main theory right now. The showcase at Adepticon would be perfect for a mix of the new starter set(cheaper and less models) and a follow-up game that focuses on Warbands.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #643 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
I like these cats!

(Nice cat avatar as well, cats are awesome. :-) )

Thanks! That cat has the best personality I have come across. We call it fluffy latouche and it is our cardiac cat! I walked out into the hall in the hospital and saw a pic of it for a good home. Looked at the wife and said we must get! And we got. It goes with our other calico that wandered onto the property and we just lost our 16 year old calico. All calicoes but not by choice.
And yes that starter set looks good!

That skaven and High Elf set looks awfully familiar.  Not that I'm complaining.  I bought that set back during 7th edition, and liked it.  Started the skaven, but the high elfs are still on the sprues.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #644 on: March 16, 2017, 10:53:34 PM »
Thanks! They are indeed my buds. Stick together like glue. My wife's daughter just showed me a pic of them curled up sleeping together. A mass of calico. 😸

I am indeed happy with the new steampunks. They have grown on me and I like the comment that there is something for everyone. Already thinking of a steampunk, fyreslayer , traditional army group. Underground , regular ground and airships plus Sharkbelly's subs has got it all covered.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #645 on: March 18, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »
Oh no... Why must everything get retwisted and made different to beyond comprehension?

Why not keep a few things proper fantasy? I fear to invest in what may turn out to get some really new twisted aesthetics or get the He-Man treatment. Something for everyone?

There are many cool models. But so far none of the new models have been beautiful. I liked the 6th ed wood elves. Grace and beauty. Now, so far the new minis of WE somehow followed the line, but were beefier.
So when the new official minis for the Wanderers come I believe we will see more things similar to the Shadowkin.

If the three aelven types were meant to be anything but stopgap, we should have seen some proper aelf fluff by now. But we are left with almost nothing, a few lines on a pair of pages.

It could be seen as a saving grace that they reused the Island of Blood set. But what does it tell us? Nothing but that GW had a large stock and decided to try and get rid of it. When that is gone. GW can redo them into something completley different.

Oh, I just wish I could find some hope. I sooo want to get reborn and love the new setting but it holds no promises...

Please, GW. Release some classic aelves so I can gain my trust in you back.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #646 on: March 18, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »
Sorry to be a bummer Mathi but I fear you wait in vain. The only things that will remain are the Legasy scrowls for the old models. Everything is changing so hoping for a return is kind of hopeless. I liken my life to a house with many rooms. Each one being like a former life. Every now and again we can walk into a room that once was but that's all it is. Something as petty as a hobby doesn't seem  to warrant a special room but it has one anyways as it was a huge deal for my son and me but it's gone. Either we embrace the new or let it go. I choose to embrace it and look forward to its rewards. Your son has alluded to liking the new system. I would ride that train as far as it will go if I could do it again.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #647 on: March 18, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
@Mathi,
Well, first, there's actually 5 types* of elves with high elves beingng split into the most sub-factions with the most prominent being the Eldritch Council,  Swifthawk Agents and Order Draconis. The first two get further fluff in the redone island of blood set and Shadows over Hammerhal as well as the Council's presence in the Phoenicium city. City of secrets took a bigger look at the Exiles (dark elves) and how they run their "legal shipping" operations in Sigmar's cities.

As for Wanderers, i doubt they'll be done like the Shadowkin. Their race has been humbled by fleeing the realm of life and returned to it pleading for Alarielle's forgiveness and have taken to wandering the wilds of the other realms trying to undo the chaos taint while harmonizing with those lands.

So Wanderers will probably get a varied-nature nomad treatment than the shadowy forest assassins of the past.(with how popular Breath of the Wild is I wouldn't be surprised if they take inspiration from it on how one elf can go from bow-shooting elk rider to fire resistant-armored knight on horseback, undead or otherwise for his mount)

With the Phoenicium city, realm of light and Teclis' and Tyrion's whereabouts unknown there's still a ton of stuff to uncover about the elves.

I'd also advise giving GW time to get to it all, that "something for everyone" was pointing to the fact the alliance books combine to have about 60 sub-factions they are in the process of fleshing out bit-by-bit as they also work on the new factions and a progressive storyline.

Final note, my internet connection is buggy right now but there's alot of new AoS news and leaks that I'll be posting later. :)

*(five types of Aelves: Sylvaneth, Wanderers, Exiles, Shadowkin,  High Elves)

@Artoban's Ghost, 

I wouldn't say that, remember that AoS was planned out back in 2011-2012 so many things in 8th were planned to go into AoS (Demigryphs, sky-cutters, iron breakers, etc.) and we've seen the older stuff like ghouls and savage orcs reworked new and potent sub-factions.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #648 on: March 18, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »
Good point and as always explained in a positive and thoughtful manner.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #649 on: March 19, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »
Spliting high elves to me was just a way to utilise all the models, but in the vein of smaller subfactions that are the appeal right now. I dont feel it counts... however interested in some ways to see how it all turns out...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.