home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS  (Read 258131 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
I saw a posted release schedule (leaked from WD) which suggests a bunch of Skaven are up next.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »
In the extract of the novel War Storm there is also a bit of snow / ice going in the realm of Aqshy (fire) while Vandus is heading north
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »
I read that and found it .... odd.

I really need to get some of these novels and read them so I can better understand the background and setting. Steg; what would you suggest? Is that big book a good way of getting the information? Should I just grab the novels?

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
In the extract of the novel War Storm there is also a bit of snow / ice going in the realm of Aqshy (fire) while Vandus is heading north

That is interesting,  I was thinking nothing but fire and lava.

I wonder if it will be like Banjo-Tooie's Hailfire peaks. :lol:

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 12:08:33 PM »

I really need to get some of these novels and read them so I can better understand the background and setting. Steg; what would you suggest? Is that big book a good way of getting the information? Should I just grab the novels?

I dunno, I liked the big book, but it's also still top level fluff and not yet really going into detail except for the scenario's and those are cool too have.
I dunno about the novels, so far read only that one extract and can't really tell if I like the writers style yet, though the story seems ok sofar, but also to short to really tell yet.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 12:18:27 PM »
I've got the big book so I could get the rules for a couple of Realms, which makes a point for selecting where you fight. I've read one novel "under the Black thumb" and although that was better written than the last few GW novels I've read it didn't really have a lot of fluff. Some good characters though almost tempted me to be Nurgle.

With the end times I only got the rules and fluff not the novels and then later found out they put a lot of details in the novels not in the fluff book. Probably so there was a reason to buy both. In the big book a character dies (won't say who) but there is no detail on how which I figured would be revealed in a later novel.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »

The big book is interesting and it appears there will be many of them if the speed of the next one is to go by. It doesn't tell you a huge amount if you want pure fluff, but it's nice to have and has some lovely artwork. I see it being great for people doing Khorne or Stormcast armies.

I bought the first novel and I won't lie, it was quite disappointing. It was very much an advertisement for what was in the box and frankly, a bit predictable the entire way through, although it had some interesting nuggets! It was certainly dark in places.

Big book +1, Novel meh...
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 02:37:25 AM »

I have been deeply disappointed with the main book and the novel "gates of azyr" to be frank.  Neither has much content.  The main book was the biggest let down.  It was more like looking at an issue of warhammer visions than the introductory fluff book for a brand new setting.  It's all a bunch of blah with WAY too much empty space and pictures.  The scenarios are cool though, the only really juicy part of the whole thing.  Comparing it to my 6ed book it's kind of a joke for the amount of content you get.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15:09 AM »
I think what happened with the novel was that GW was pushing for a battle-only perspective of the Eternals to give players an idea of their abilities.  Kind of par for the course really, the novels made after a release are supposed to show off what the new guys can do. We'll probably see better novels as the mortal realms and their inhabitants are revealed to us.

On to rumors, I was reading this sites current rumors and found Lord Crom to be correct, the quest for Ghal Maraz and the Skaven releases are on the horizon.

(A little caution on the site, my phone had alot of unresponsive problems with it so be careful)
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1560/655944.page

Interesting to note, I heard that, besides being the bane of chaos, Ghal Maraz is a large part of Sigmar's powers. One fellow said that Sigmar is actually getting weaker as he reforges the Eternals over and over again. Only the fabled warhammer can give Sigmar his full powers back, so that explains why he hasn't been on the frontlines.

Sigmar's been conserving his powers for maintaining his army, if he gets his hammer back it would be a game changer. We'd probably get to see a Sigmar model finally be made as well. :biggriin:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
He already has one Baron. ;) I've always envisioned this to be an actual model of the God-King. Look at the artworks from AoS. His armour is very similar.

Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »

Interesting sidenote, I just found out that the realm of Ghur has a frozen landscape upon it that the chaos mortals are remaking into a second chaos wasteland like the one from the-world-that-was. I wonder if the free people tried to recreate the Old World amongst the realms before chaos invaded?

Hmmm, do the current humans even know the Old World existed? I didn't think anyone escaped, except some divinities/divinities to be.

If they did, that would be cool

Also, having a frozen chaos place at least satisfies my desire for my marauders to be more vikingly!  :icon_smile:
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »
I think - with all the issues of portals, gateways, and the warping power of Chaos on both time and cause & effect - it is quite reasonable to say there are groups of people who were lifted from the Old World to the Mortal Realms through any kind of explanation.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Sounds more like myth to me.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
Going by the end times fluff I'm not sure if anything survived.  Aside from time travel it's safe to say the empire is well and truly gone.  The fluff blurb at the beginning of the warscrolls is just an excuse to use the old miniatures, and I don't think is an indication GW actually wants the old world to stick around in little bubbles messing up their new setting. 

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
I dunno, man - the fact they specifically say things like "Sigmaron" and so forth ...

They could have made it explicit it was pre-End Times - "use these Warscrolls to play games set in The Time Before using your old figures and Age of Sigmar rules!". But they didn't. I think GW is wanting to imply there are communities of people very similar to the Empire etc.

Now, that doesn't mean it IS the Empire - that is destroyed. But, rather, they are people who a living like the Empire did.

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
True, true, but I think if GW was serious about the aesthetic sticking around there would be more in the new books about it.  I'm fully expecting the old armies to be slowly phased out if GW ever releases anything that's not a stormcast or chaos model though. 

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »
I dunno, man - the fact they specifically say things like "Sigmaron" and so forth ...

They could have made it explicit it was pre-End Times - "use these Warscrolls to play games set in The Time Before using your old figures and Age of Sigmar rules!". But they didn't. I think GW is wanting to imply there are communities of people very similar to the Empire etc.

Now, that doesn't mean it IS the Empire - that is destroyed. But, rather, they are people who a living like the Empire did.

See Bold.. actually they did..somewhere. If I can find it back I will link it, but I thought it was the "What's new section" that described the warscrolls.

Also the Age of Myth where Sigmar roamed the Mortal lands that Dracothian showed him the path too (thus new worlds) he helped civilizations there build up like he used to see. And the Age of Myth was centuries long! So any Empire'ish stuff that there is would be from the eye of the Beholder being Sigmar.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »
My army remembers the Age of Myth fondly ... that was before the barbarian glory hound betrayed us.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 12:06:57 AM »
They could have made it explicit it was pre-End Times - "use these Warscrolls to play games set in The Time Before using your old figures and Age of Sigmar rules!". But they didn't.

See Bold.. actually they did..somewhere. If I can find it back I will link it, but I thought it was the "What's new section" that described the warscrolls.
Maybe p.2 of each warscroll compendium?
Quote from: p.2 of each warscroll compendium
The warscrolls in this compendium
allow you to use your Citadel
Miniatures collection in fantastical
battle, whether telling epic stories set
during the Age of Sigmar, or recreating
the wars of the world-that-was

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2015, 08:09:48 AM »
or that! LoL

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
If I get around to giving WAoS (sounds like a radio station) a try, and I hope to do so soon, it definitey will likely be the latter, and highly unlikely most definitely not be the former.

Hmmm ... HUMDNBTF!

(GP ... you being silly?)

Not me. :icon_mrgreen:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »
Based on my experiences, and what I have read of battle reports etc., the game is surprisingly tactical for a thing with 4 pages of rules. I think you will be - if you allow yourself to move away from the notion this is anything like Fantasy - pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of tactics and strategies which can be used in the game, and situations which fall out of the rules.

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2015, 01:21:13 AM »
So apparently we will get some new insights from the short video of the new book.
featured here http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/blog/blog.jsp

Beastmen make an appearance in a picture
Khorne Wrathmongers, Putrid Blightkings, Chaos Spawn warscrolls
As mentioned in the units thread: The Bleak Horde, chaos warriors of Tzeentch on how to paint section

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2015, 01:48:28 AM »
Interesting to see mere humans at 1:23.
War-priests obviously on the left.
What are the other humans?

• Members
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
Interesting to see mere humans at 1:23.
War-priests obviously on the left.
What are the other humans?

Can't tell from either vid on 1:23 (no humans), but warrior priests and flaggelants are featured often