home

Author Topic: State troop modeling opinions  (Read 2744 times)

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
State troop modeling opinions
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
I have a unit of Manaan's Blades that I built as halberdiers using the free company halberd arms with magnets to switch out with sword arms. Unfortunately I didn't plan too well and I used plastic cement on the left arms. Now that I'm finally getting around to making the sword arms, I'm left with the problem of whether I should permanently mount shields or not. The drawback being that when I have them with Halberds, the shields won't align with the current rules. If I magnetize the shields, the troops will have an unsightly magnet stuck to their forearm in Halberd mode as well (the arms are too small to recess the magnets into the forearm). What are other people's opinions on what looks best?

Here is how they currently look:

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: State troop modeling opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
you could instead mount a small piece of metal slab on the arm and paint it black (like the rest of the arm) and mount the magnet on the inside of the shields. Might need to retouch the black once in a while though.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:54:21 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen metal that I could use like that. I wonder if a flat hair clip would be a good ferrous metal to use since they are pretty thin.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »
I thought of the perfect metal to use if it is ferrous. Feeler gauges, the kind used by mechanics, are very thin and I have a couple of sets just laying around the garage. I'll have to see if a magnet will stick tonight when I get home.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:25:55 PM »
Hi SoonerSox.
I know the GW rule book says you can use shield with Halberds and this is fantasy. But in real life you need both hands on the weapon unlike a spear that can be held one handed as a thrusting weapon. I left all the shields off, but painted them and use blutak on the front rank only if shields required.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:09:14 PM »
Hi SoonerSox.
I know the GW rule book says you can use shield with Halberds and this is fantasy. But in real life you need both hands on the weapon unlike a spear that can be held one handed as a thrusting weapon. I left all the shields off, but painted them and use blutak on the front rank only if shields required.

In Age of Sigmar there is no shield option for halberdiers. It's not a critical matter as I can't imagine an opponent making a big deal out of it. I magnetized the right arms to be able to switch between the halberd and sword arm but didn't give enough consideration to how I was going to implement the shield. At the time that I painted these, I had no clue that Age of Sigmar was on the horizon so I didn't really think I would seriously ever want them to be anything other than halberdiers.

I just tested the feeler gauge and it is most definitely ferrous so I'm in luck. Now all I need is some small tin snips and I'll go that route. The thinnest is .203 mm/.008 inch which is the one I'm going to use.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:13:24 PM »
Hi SoonerSox.

In Age of Sigmar there is no shield option for halberdiers. It's not a critical matter as I can't imagine an opponent making a big deal out of it. I magnetized the right arms to be able to switch between the halberd and sword arm but didn't give enough consideration to how I was going to implement the shield. At the time that I painted these, I had no clue that Age of Sigmar was on the horizon so I didn't really think I would seriously ever want them to be anything other than halberdiers.

I just tested the feeler gauge and it is most definitely ferrous so I'm in luck. Now all I need is some small tin snips and I'll go that route. The thinnest is .203 mm/.008 inch which is the one I'm going to use.

Actually, Halbers can use shields also, doesn't matter what weapon the statetroops have
description
A unit of Empire State Troops has 10 or
more models. Units of Empire State Troops
are either armed with Halberds, Spears,
or Swords. Units of State Troops may also
carry Shields to battle.

It's in 8th that they could but would be a points loss to do so as they couldn't use it in combat
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 12:16:26 AM »
Interesting, so it doesn't make any sense why I wouldn't have shields on them all then. If that's the case I could just glue them on. Which is good because the snips I bought did not leave a fine enough edge on the metal to use it without a great deal of difficulty.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 01:49:51 AM »
It takes two hands to handle a whopper.  Ooops, I mean a halberd. :icon_wink:

I like the idea of switching the figure to sword and shield using metal and magnets though.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 04:21:06 AM »
Could use a pin vice and drill a small hole in the arm and put a small rare earth magnet in so it's flush and then paint over it. I've done that before.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
Here's a novel idea: What if you drill a hole in the base and put the magnet in there.
After that, you put a magnet on the back of the shield that you want them to have.
It'll be finicky, but the magnet should be with its side to the back of the shield.
Here, perhaps a picture will make it clear what I mean:

Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls