home

Author Topic: Stirland / Sylvania Regiment New  (Read 30108 times)

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
Re: Stirland / Sylvania Regiment New
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:53 PM »
She looks awesome dude! I can't wait to see her finished!
The shaved down feet and codpiece work really well and make her look a lot more feminine! I wish I'd thought about it for mine. The only thing I would say is maybe trim down the shoulder guards just a tad to make them look a little less elven.

I'm actually pretty honoured to get to name her! I christen her Isabella de Montfort, cousin of Sophia de Montfort of the Talabheim' greatswords and claimed descendants of the famed 'Maiden of Talabheim'. Though I'll let you decide how she became the leader of the Stirland swordsmen!

Love that rapier btw! Awesome choice of weapon  :::cheers:::

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 03:57:50 AM »
I finished up Isabella de Montfort about 10 minutes ago, and Im posting a quick pic, Im still trying to figure the eyes I cant seem to get them just right. I know what you mean about the spurs on her armor, Ive been thinking about it all day, but I have decided to live with them for a week to see if they grow on me. I dont want to remove them now and regret it later so we will see. Now all I need is to static grass the whole army. I also got a lone halberdier in the mail today. I Plan on painting him up in either Solland or Hochland colors and using him in the free company.

I dont know Matt, Im gonna have to think of really good story to explain why a well-bred aristocrat like Isabella de Montfort would willingly spend time with a rag-tag band of illiterate and superstitious Stirlanders.  :-D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:00:11 AM by Doc J »
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
Liked seeing your militia and bowmen. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
She looks awesome! Black armour FTW!

The pose and the rapier look even better now she's painted up. It's definitely the weapon of a noble, maybe an heirloom? Can't wait to see her with a whole regiment of swordsmen behind her.

Love the classic monopose halberdier. He'll look great mixed into the free company as an old soldier.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
I just finished my monopose Halberdier for use in the militia. I thought about Hochland colors, and then I figured I should do one of the former provinces. I painted this guy up in the colors of Old Sylvania. Later might paint up a 5 man detachment in these colors but for now he'll remain in the militia. Has anyone else done troops of some of the former provinces like, Drakwald, Solland or Sylvania? If so post them up I'd like to see some.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 04:50:55 PM »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 07:55:54 PM »
That is quite a list you've compiled, it was very helpful thank you.

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »
It's all about the black armour Doc!

It's nice to see the variety of colour you're using in your force. Keeping it interesting, and fitting with a rag-tag band of Stirlanders. That purple puff and slash looks very effective.  :::cheers:::

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 04:57:47 AM »
Hey I know that armor can be spelled correctly two ways but, when I type "armour" on my computer it comes up wrong, when you type "armor" on your does it come up wrong? Is it because my computer is here in the states and do computers in the U.K. say that the American spelling is incorrect?
Not an Empire question but please indulge me.

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 04:14:21 PM »
Haha, yeah it's cos I'm in the UK and we sure love to add extra extra 'u's' in our words. Honour, colour, harbour, neighbour etc. And don't even get me started on Queue...  :-D

Yeah we have different keyboards with the £ sign on and we can set Google Chrome and Windows to display in UK English so our spellcheck doesn't go crazy! If you type in American English over here you'll get a lot of red squiggly lines under the words.

Random question to you if you don't mind, do you guys spell the weapon 'Axe' or 'Ax'?

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:32 AM »
yeah 2 different spellings UK and US :)
If you use Firefox you can install multiple dictionaries for spelling check. just right click in text field to bring up the menu with spelling check - language (add dictionary)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
I use both ax and axe depending on whatever takes my fancy that day, but I believe ax is the correct
 way here in the states. I've read alot of books from the U.K. and I picked on the different spelling so I sometimes I use your spellings if Im not paying attention, I've been hit on it many times when turning in papers at school.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:09:08 PM by Doc J »

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 10:51:24 PM »
Ive got a something just for Zygmund today, Beastmen! I have to admit I cheated a little, I bought these figures with a base coat and a few base colors on them. I planned on completely repainting them but I looked at them and figured that I couldnt base coat them any better than the previous person had, so I decided to just finished them. I think they look ok, good enough for bad guys anyway  :laugh: I have also added another man the my swordsmen, its a classic Bretonnian model. I wanted a greater variety of armor styles like chainmail which is lacking on most empire models, so I tried this guy. I used Stirland colors and an Empire shield to make him look more Empire but I think he still looks like a Bret. I also tried a little more free hand on the shield a horn and a key, the horn looks bad but I think the key turned out. What is the symbolism of the key I see it on alot of empire artwork? I also took the pics in daylight.

The way I got them

Finished ( I have finished some of them )

Swordsman ( Im very happy with how this guy turned out )

Just for kicks I  put this one in photoshop and added some snow capped peaks and gave the beastmen torches

The Marauding Beastmen sweep into Northern Bodenwald out of the Black Mountains intent on burning the smaller settlements, and the Stirlanders move to meet them.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:36:32 AM by Doc J »

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 09:37:49 PM »

I just got this guy off ebay. Im trying to decide whether to use him with my swordsmen or militia. Im not thinking in any tabletop tactical terms but instead what would look cooler. What do you guys think? also if you can think of a better color scheme tell me I need ideas.

Teal and Black, Teal and Purple with the Militia

Green and Yellow with the Stirland Swordsmen

Offline LarsRock

• Members
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
If you decided to make a full command group for the militia, this guy would look great! Perhaps it would look like a couple of professional mercenaries, rallying up a mob in the local town? :biggriin:

Just a thought. :happy:
Behold as Rome burns, as do I
´Tis not the last empire to crumble

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:48 PM »
What LarsRock said   :smile2:

Nice looking Swordsman  :::cheers:::
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »
I think you guys are right he would be cooler in the militia as far as the command group Im definantly going with teal and ? something. I finally thought of a flag has any seen the red lobster flag

I think it looks cool but doesn't take itself to seriously perfect for a plucky band of militia. The Red Lobster reminds me of the Black Griffon. Im still working on an acceptable design for the regulars.

Offline LarsRock

• Members
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 09:37:22 AM »
I vote that all the villagers should have napkins tucked into their shirts or pockets!  :biggriin:
I see an angry mob of hungry villagers, who was disturbed while attending the yearly lobster-palooza.. :-P

Offline LarsRock

• Members
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:11 AM »

And this guy should be their leader.. :biggriin:

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
 :lol: wheres the model with the frilly cravat it looks kinda like a lobster bib, funny thing is Ive never even set foot in the restaurant I always just see the flag and think "man it would be awesome to be at the head of an all-conquering army marching under the banner of a red lobster, that would really strike fear into the heart of your enemy, oh no the red lobster approaches, a half days march from the castle sire!". The flag in another time could have worked, people always use colored animals, red stag, white wolves of Middenheim, bears, fish, golden eagle, Dragons, Manticore of Ostermark, unicorns, pegasus, mermaids, red bull of Ostland, VonOttenheim's black griffon and now the red lobster of Stirland

Offline LarsRock

• Members
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
I think it's a great idea, especially because it's original! :icon_biggrin:

The last thing I'll add, and then I'll stop, I swear, is that you should put in the Halfling hotpot as a unitfiller! :icon_lol:
That would seriously be epic! An angry mob of lobster-craving villagers supported by a halfling chef and his famous lobster and crayfish bisque! :biggriin:

Sorry, I just felt like I had to share the idea with you.. :engel:

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 02:36:59 AM »
I just got some static grass after complaining about not having it since August and Ive start to use it. I do not remember it being so thick and heavy is it just me, does anyone have any tips to get it to stay on? #grassiskickingmyass  :laugh:

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 02:57:58 AM »
(( DocJ,

I do like your Swordsman with him dramatically stabbing the sky.  Odd question on the heraldry... what do the horn and key mean?  At least I think it's a horn.

As for the Lobster, I have seen sea creatures in heraldry before... usually on coastal areas.  And Maine.  At least coastal Maine... inland Maine is... kinda snarky about the whole lobster thing.  Anyway, still, it's pretty awesome!

Also, iffn you don't want to drop the coin to get the Halfling Hot Pot and "chefs crew", you could go for an Ogre Butcher too.  They have a... pot of soup too. Just... with mystery meat.  Like the Mankanshokus use in Kill La Kill.  And easy-bonus points, if anyone gets the Kill La Kill reference. Or, you could get the Cauldron from the Dark Elf line too.

OH!  And don't let those Oxford-English people fool you with their fake spelling of words.  It's Armor... not Armour.  The same way it's Color and not Colour.  They're just jealous of Webster and his desire to make written text cheaper, by removing erroneous vowels and letters. ))

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:40 AM »
The Hunting Horn is the official symbol of Stirland,  The key I dunno its on alot of shield designs in the heraldry book. Yes its a bad horn Ive done good ones but that wasnt one of them.

Im keeping my army 100% human infantry for now if anything I'll add some normal ogre mercs

erroneous vowels  :lol:

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »
Yeah the hunting horn looks good, I like that you're keeping a common symbol across your army, and one that is more unique to Stirland.

The trick with static grass is to block out some areas on the base with a reasonably thick layer of PVA glue, dunk the model in static grass so that these bits are completely covered, and then shake the model pretty vigorously to dislodge all the grass in the wrong places. Leave it overnight to dry, and then blow on it and shake it again to get rid of any last traces of loose grass. The key with static grass is getting it in natural looking clumps.

If we're removing unnecessary vowels, surely it should be 'erroneos' :P