home

Author Topic: Fires of the Old World 8th Edition Tournament  (Read 2727 times)

Offline danwhite

• Members
Fires of the Old World 8th Edition Tournament
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
Hi All,

So after spending the weekend at the Fires of the Old World tournament in Hockley, I thought I would right up about the games I played there.

The tournament was 5 games at 2400pt and used a traffic light comp system. special characters were allowed and all games were done on a 20-0 system with an additional 5 tournament points for a secret mission each game. I ended the tournament in 3rd place and was 200 points of bloodiest general (most Victory Points taken).

My List
Karl Franz on Pegasus with Ghal Maraz

Level 4 lore of Light with Dispel Scroll and 4++

BSB, Full Plate, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone

Warrior Priest, MR2

45 Halberdiers, Champ, Standard
det 10 Archers

5 Knightly Orders, Standard

5 Knightly Orders, Standard

4 Demigryphs, Champ, Standard, Steel Standard

2 Great Cannons

Hellblaster

Luminark of Hysh

Celestial Hurricanum

Game 1 - Dark Elves

His list

Dreadlord on Black Dragon, 4++

Level 4 lore of metal

Death Hag, +2 Str sword, Rune of Khaine

25 Corsairs

30 Witch Elves

24 Executioners

10 cold one knights

5 Warlocks

My first game was damning for me, nothing went right for me, and I made a lot of mistakes, clearly didn't have my game face on.

We both deployed on the same flank, I was fairly certain I could break the inside quickly as it was franz and the demigryphs vs the cold one knights then he had his dragon, corsairs witches and executioners, with his warlocks behind the Cold Ones.

Behind the demis I had my luminark. Next to the demis I had a cannon, with the Hellblaster supporting it, then a building (just outside of my deployment zone) my halberdiers and the archers behind them in front of the halberdiers were my two units of knights, and behind was the hurricanum and finally on the right was the other cannon.

Dark Elves got Turn one and it went wrong from there.

Turn 1 - Dark Elves

His unit of Warlocks had vanguarded down, and they made a beeline straight towards the side of my Hellblasterso they could charge and overrun into my over cannon, the Dragon pulled forward putting the building between it and one of the cannons, the knights came forward towards the demis, whilst the executioners and witch elves followed suit and moved towards the halberdiers. The corsairs unsurprisingly sat in the forest.

The winds of magic were not strong for him and with my channel and Luminark I ended up with an extra dice so he got no spells off this turn.

Turn 1 - Empire

I completely forgot about his death hag and thus chraged both knight units into his witchelves, my halberdiers moved up to block up his executioners if they tried to charge, my demi's charged into his cold ones, the rest moved up to support the units.

my magic phase saw  Banishment going off and killing 4 warlocks, with my hellblaster seeing off the last one. The Luminark went for the bolt of doom against his dragon, cast it and rolled a 1 to wound. the cannon that could see the dragon took a shot, and misfired, thankfully survived.

The demis made short work of the cold ones and the three left fled, I restrained and turned to face his flank with everything in range. the Witch Elves went a lot worse than I expected with the Death Hag taking 4 out and the witches 4 from the other unit. Naturally the two banners left ran, dieing on the run and the Witches overran clipping my slightly overhanging halberdiers :S

Turn 2 Dark Elves

The Dragon goes in to wipe the floor with my Halberdiers, the executioners turn to face my demis and the cold ones rally (why didn't I chase them down?!)

His magic phase once again sees no spells off between my extra dice and scroll.

Combat sees my Halberdiers take a pounding, my only chance is to take a rank off of the Witch Elves to stay steadfast. Hint I couldn't. The Halberdiers lose by 16 and get go for a jog, bth units chase, the witchelves hitting my hurricanum, the dragon my archers flank with my lovely light wizard.

Turn 2 Empire

with the now threat of executioners Franz gets out the way by charging alone into his corsairs, maybe I can kill thewizard and get some points back, the Demigryphs reform to take both units in the front (which I messed up again) Magic I get two 1s and cast speed of light on the demi's, he stops it on his one dice. My hellblaster opens up on the executioners dealing 6 wounds.

My lumianrk takes a pop shot down the flank of his cold ones, and rolls a 1 to wound (That's the second time in two turns)

Combat my archers get eaten, and stomped into the dirt and my wizard runs off the board, franz challenges because I'm an idiot and I fight a champ for a turn, win combat but can't get past ld 9 steadfast. and the witch elves destroy the Hurricanum

Turn 3 Dark Elves

The Dragon takes shelter behind the building so he can support the fight against Franz, the Witch Elves charge a whopping 15" into Franz flank, the executioners charge the demis, the cold one's charge the flank.

A bit of magic sees the Executioners with glittering scales, enchanted blades and the Demis Transmuted.

The demis flee off the table the executioners chase going 5" Franz doesn't challenge (he probably should have that turn) and takes 2 wounds in the ensuing madness but kills a Death Hag in return. Losing combat he runs and gets caught by the witches.

Turn 3 Empire

My luminark moves out of everythings arc and takes another shot at the dragon, rolling a 1 to wound (Third time's not the charm)

My hellblaster opens up on the executioners and kills all but 1 and my cannon takes out another cold one, my other cannon shoots the dragon, hit wounds the dragon doing 4 wounds and wounds the rider but it's ward saved.

Turn 4 Dark Elves

He moves his units around a bit to try and pin down my luminark, his Cold ones head for my artillery

Turn 4 Empire

The Luminark runs away a bit and tries to shoot his dragon, fails to cast. The Hellblaster opens up on the Cold Ones, two misfires, can't shoot this turn or next, the cannon misfires, can't shoot this turn, the other cannon falls just short of the dragon.

Turn 5 Dark Elves

The Cold One's charge the Hellblaster, removing it from play, the dragon pulls out to face off against the luminark the witches move in

Turn 5 Empire

The Luminark hides next to the Dragon and tries to pick off the lone executioner for some points. The cannon gets sared of the cold ones now next to it and grapeshots the remaining 2 to an early grave, the other cannon finally kills that damn dragon, but the rider wards it off again.

Turn 6 Dark Elves

With the death of his dragon the Dreadlord can now see my Luminark and wants blood he charges in, the with elves amble about in hopes of finding some more blood. The Luminark is beaten and the dreadlor runs off the table.

Turn 6 Empire

My Cannons try to blast off the remaining executioner but fail miserably.

End of game 20-0 but I did achieve my secret mission of more table quarters as I had a cannon in two different quarters and his whole army was in another so total of 5 points for me

I learnt a very good tactic here, it's called playing better.

Offline danwhite

• Members
Re: Fires of the Old World 8th Edition Tournament
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »
Game 2 - Beastmen

His list
Doombull, Mark of Tzeentch, Arabyan Carpet, 4++

Level 4 Wilds Dispel Scroll

Slugtongue

5 units of 10 Ungor Raiders

4 Tuskgor Chariots

6 Minotaurs

2 Razorgor Chariots

2 Razorgors

Cygor

Deployment

My opponent chose the Beastmen secret mission of have 2 units with the Beastmen Ambush special rule ambush, so two units of Ungor raiders started off the board. He then deployed a strong right flank with his wizards fairly central and his minotaurs and Doombull on the far right.

Having a tonne more drops than me meant I was down before him so I deployed quite castley in the middle of the board, with my warmachines spread to reduce damage on them.

Slugtongue Drops the Death, as he's in the middle of his army slugtongue hits everything with his special power and kills a cannon, the Hellblaster, then puts a wound on the Luminark and 2 on the Hurricanum, thankfully the wounds on the demis are saved by the Luminarks ward. :S

Turn 1 Empire

I'd like to deal with the Doombull before he can get too much into my lines so I hold back, moving my knights forward to open up the path for the rest of my army, and the demis with Franz pull up slightly more on the right to sweep the flank, I'm fairly confident that Franz will kill anything in his army outside of the Doombull, so I hope to lure him into some charges that will then overrun into the demis, they'll take some damage but nothing they can't handle.

Magic sees me casting Banishment at a unit of Ungor Raiders and causing them to flee, I try to shoot his Doombull off with the cannon but no such luck.

Turn 1 Beastmen

He pulls everything forward The Doombull flies up my right flank, I'm fairly certain he's aiming for my cannon but don't want to leave my Halberdier flank open. He charges two chariots and a Razorgor into the knights on the left flank, and fails the charge with the chariot and the Razorgor into the right flank, his Minotaurs move up and his Ungors with the level 4 moves down to get in range.

Magic he gets off Traitorkin on the Demis killing 1, and I pass my bitch test. he shoots at my knights and Demis but doesn't do any wounds. The Cygor throws his rock but misses everything, he had some bad luck with the Cygor aganist me but it wen't on to one squash a terrogheist and a Black Dragon.

His charoits and Razorgor rip through my Knights and the chariots overrun into the Demis the Razorgor i just out to the side.

Turn 2 Empire

I turn my Halberdiers so they can see the Minotaurs and the Doombull and my knights charge Slugtongues unit, he flees so I redirect into the Razorgor Chariot that failed the charge earlier. My hurricanum moves up to avoid being anywhere near the Doombull and so does my Luminark.

Magic I get Big Daddy Bolt off on the Luminark, Dealing 3 wounds to one of the razorgors and taking it off the table and I get off Birona's Timewarp and Speed of Light on the Halberdiers just in case they took a double charge from Minotaurs and the Doombull. I try to shoot him with the cannon again but no luck.

Combat sees my knights rip th chariot to pieces and overrun onto a hill and Franz and the demis do the same in their combat I reform to face the flank of the remiaing chariots and minotaurs.

Turn 2 Beastmen

The Doombull charges the cannon, which I was hoping for, the Minotaurs charge the Halberdiers but needing a 10 on 2 dice they fail. The level 4 moves up to some woods ( my mission was control more natural terrain pieces so I had to get rid of that unit.

His ambushers come on one on the right flank, one on the left, there's nothing on the left flank and my whole armies about to push forward so I'm not worried about the ones on the right either.

He tries to get Traitorkin off again, but I dispel it. his Cygor misses again and shooting just can't get through the 1+ of the Demis.

The Doombull goes through the cannon and overruns off the table

Turn 3 Empire

It's time for the push forward, Demis and Franz smack into the side of the chariot, the Halberdiers decide to go toe to hoof with the Minotaurs, my archers and level 4 pull up as far as they can away from the Doombull coming back on. My knights charge down on Slugtongues unit

Magic buffs up the halberdiers and puts Net of Amyntok on the level 4.

The demis rip through the chariot and reform to face the level 4 The Halberdiers with their buffs kill the Minotaurs and overrun towards the Cygor and the knights kill slugtongues unit and reforms to keep the hill.

Turn 3 Beastmen

The Doombull comes back on, and the chariot that was left charges the flank of the Luminark, the Razorgor charges the flank of the Hurricanum the level 4s unit tries to shoot the demigryphs but fail. The Cygor charges into the Halberdiers

Magic has nothing cast after the level 4 fails the Net's str test, shooting causes no damage and in combat the chariot kills my Luminark on impact hits and overruns into the Hurricanum also killing it on impact hits and overruns the Razorgor reforms. The Cygor is decimated by the Halberdiers who turn to face the Doombull and chariot.

Turn 4 Empire

The Demi's charge the level 4, he tries to flee but fails the str test, taking enough wounds to panic, so flees anyway, but then fails the str test to actually flee so just stands there as my demis come in autokilling the unit. The Halberdiers charge the Chariot

Banishment takes out the Razorgor and the Chariot falls to the Halberdiers who turn to face the Doombull, the Demi;s also use their free reform to turn to face the Halberdiers in case they need help.

Turn 4 Beastmen

His Doombull charges my level4, I flee and easily get away, his ambushing units move up slightly.

Turn 5 Empire

Halberdiers charge the Doombull and with some magic buffs take it off in one turn of combat

It's called there and I take a 20-0 with my secret mission.

The guys army was really cool, very fast but I think there was too much chaff that it was impossible to get his toys out of the way, he had a great story behind his list about a pig farmer who got attacked my chaos and he and his pigs were all turned into beastmen, so all his minotaurs were ogres with pigs heads sculpted on. Hopefully the next few games would go similarly.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
Might want to have this posted in The Battleground instead, there is more traffic for battlereports!
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/board,42.0.html

I haven't read through them yet but will soon!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline danwhite

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »
Cheers, I was looking for where they should go but couldn't find it :S