home

Author Topic: My Horus Heresy era Space Wolves  (Read 16640 times)

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
Re: My Horus Heresy era Space Wolves
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
The Chaplain was easy, but the Praetor has much less space to work with since his head basically rests against some kinda plating on the inside of the armour. So I had to shave off his hair on the left side of the head to make it fit. I originally wanted another head in there, but it was also too cramp on the height to fit in there.

So it was quite the headscratcher before I got it right.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »
My Space Wolves Praetor (which might be called Wolf Guard in 30k) with a Paragon Blade and Volkite Charger (the gun was originally supposed to be a plasma blaster, but upon closer inspection Praetors don't get to take them. So I decided that it counts as a Volkite Charger). I'm rather pleased with how he turned out.

I only have 25 Marines, 5 Terminators and 1 Contemptor Dreadnought left from the box to paint. Space Wolves should also get rules before the end of the year.

And here is a groupshot of what I painted so far.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Very good, especially the face.

With that painting standard that you have, may I suggest some accents on the dreadnought's shoulder pads? A line of lighter gray along the edges would do the trick.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I might do that, but I try to keep the highlights subtle for a more gritty look.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »
I really like the Praetor.  Great job of holding on to the viking-feel while not going into the awkwardly-cartoony end of things.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:17 PM »
Thanks! Keeping the theme more subtle was my intention, rather like the visual style the Space Wolves had in 3'rd edition. I also wanted them to look more in uniform with the Imperium since they are still fiercly loyal to the Emperor during this period and they hadn't become as indipendent as they are in 40k.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »
The work on the Praetor is impressive. How hard was it for you to do that Plasma Blaster? Looks neat!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:30 AM »
Thanks! The plasma blaster was a pretty easy to build since it's just two trimmed plasma guns glued together after filing them and a couple of bits.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »
Excellent.  Your style for the space wolves is very good to see.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »
Nice work. Are you planning any thunderwolves? I almost want to like them but I can't quite disassociate them from he-man in my mind.
One thing I love about space wolves is that most of the models are real individuals which you've captured well.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 07:24:07 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, I will probably get Thunderwolves in the future, but I don't think I will get to be using them in 30k, though. However, since I came to the conclusion that I have more fun painting 30k than 40k Space Wolves colours, I will probably paint all my Space Wolves in the 30k colours now.

I also feel like that I'm one of the few peoples on the planet who are not offended by by the notion of Space Wolves riding giant wolves. To me they were always a bit more on the mythical side than the other legions and chapters. As for individuality, I actually tried to tone it down for 30k, because I feel that 40k has overdone it too much.

As for my current plans; I think I should paint another 15 Marines before moving on to the Terminators.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, I will probably get Thunderwolves in the future, but I don't think I will get to be using them in 30k, though. However, since I came to the conclusion that I have more fun painting 30k than 40k Space Wolves colours, I will probably paint all my Space Wolves in the 30k colours now.

I also feel like that I'm one of the few peoples on the planet who are not offended by by the notion of Space Wolves riding giant wolves. To me they were always a bit more on the mythical side than the other legions and chapters. As for individuality, I actually tried to tone it down for 30k, because I feel that 40k has overdone it too much.

As for my current plans; I think I should paint another 15 Marines before moving on to the Terminators.

I also don't think that it's something absolutely stupid. I mean, the Empire has knights riding giant, battle chickens. SW's could tone down the "Wolf" aspect a bit, but they're fine and I absolutely adore the 30K Vlka Fenryka and their portrayal in "Prospero Burns" was superb.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 11:17:34 AM »
@Ursa Doom out of interest are the termies going to be lightning claws or combi bolter/power fist? I've yet to make mine and I've been trying to decide. Personally the lightling claw look is very reminiscent of horus to me but I've already got tons of 'tactical' terminators so I'm a bit fifty fifty

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 02:59:59 PM »
@red shift
I think I will give them powerfists and chainfists (that I do think look better than their 40k versions). Even if the claws do look pretty sweet, I like having strength 8 and being able to mess up vehicles in melee. When I get another 5 of them I will probably give them the sweet looking power axes made by forgeworld. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-SE/Cataphractii-Power-Axe-Upgrade-Set-2016

Having axes sort of jives with the idea of Vikings.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
Well, despite telling myself that I wouldn't buy another Betrayal at Calth box before I finished the first one, I went out and bought a second one. Mostly because I heard that GW was running out of them and there is a sneaking suspicion that they will instead of creating a whole lot more of them, they would instead start selling the kits in separate boxes at a higher price. :dry:

Either way, I will have enough 30k minis to last me all the way to autumn at this rate.

I'm also not sure what to do with the second Praetor, so suggestions would be appreciated. I think I will turn the second Chaplain into a Librarian/Runepriest.

There also seems to be a rumour that there will be a new Horus Heresy boxed game later this year with all new plastic kits. I'm crossing my finger for those cool looking Forgeworld bikes and Assault Marines making it into plastic.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »
I saw a cool wolf priest conversion where he is holding a wolf straining on its chain. Could you modify the bolter arm to be holding a chain? Never tried converting  terminator before not sure how easy it would be.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
Then I would also have to get a wolf and I plan on keeping this as low cost as possible as a challenge with what I can do with my bitbox.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »
Painted two more Tactical Marines this weekend and I decided to learn how to paint red hair while I was at it.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 08:23:40 AM »
That red hair is fabulous. :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 12:13:16 PM »
Yeah, I was going for the best red hair I could possibly paint.

And here is the fully operational 10 man (can go up to 20 in one squad) Space Wolves Legion Tactical Squad painted.

Now to consider what to do next.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 06:43:50 PM »
More wolfy goodness here! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 10:32:02 AM »
Great work, as usual. I'm surprised how well the 40K's Wolves shoulder pads work with 30K Vlka Fenryka. :::cheers:::

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, they look pretty great with the MK4. I just wish the upgrade packs were cheaper, since I end up not using a a lot of the parts that aren't the shoulderpads. However, I'm sure it's more bang for my bucks than I would get if I bought FW shoulderpads instead.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2016, 09:41:07 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, they look pretty great with the MK4. I just wish the upgrade packs were cheaper, since I end up not using a a lot of the parts that aren't the shoulderpads. However, I'm sure it's more bang for my bucks than I would get if I bought FW shoulderpads instead.

Well, the Wolves have a lot of trinkets that work great on their armour and aren't exactly 40K-exclusive. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
I was amazed at how good the grey hunters box was, includes loads of extras such as alternate heads to make wolfscouts etc, a really impressive kit.