home

Author Topic: My Horus Heresy era Space Wolves  (Read 16646 times)

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
Re: My Horus Heresy era Space Wolves
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
Yeah, it's a great kit for bits and I will probably have to buy another one in the future at this rate.

WIP picture of another Legion Tactical Squad. I wanted to make this sergeant look more Imperial than the previous one that was a bit more classic Space Wolves looking.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
Yeah, it's a great kit for bits and I will probably have to buy another one in the future at this rate.

WIP picture of another Legion Tactical Squad. I wanted to make this sergeant look more Imperial than the previous one that was a bit more classic Space Wolves looking.

Terran-born maybe? They look really good.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »
Thanks. I had this little notion in my head that he had extended service near Terra and grew to appreciate their culture, but I like your idea too.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2016, 08:20:45 PM »
I was wondering about that the other day, someone mentioned that space wolves don't have successor chapters because the canis helix doesn't work away from fenris and I wondered if that means there were never any terran pre Russ marines

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
Well, the Forge World pet chapter the Minotaurs seems to have mixed geneseeds that supposedly includes Space Wolves, Iron Warriors and something else to form some kind of chimera of a geneseed. So it might just be because making use of the Space Wolves geneseed is more trouble than it's worth?

From a resource viewpoint the High Lords of Terra might as well cram out more Ultramarine or Imperial Fist successor chapters that just seem to work without trouble.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:04 PM »
I always liked to imagine there must be a fair bit of politics behind it as well. Making new space wolves might be more hassle then it's worth, but when half your elite military seems to be made up of Ultramarines there's probably a fair bit of pressure to keep them happy. More ultramarine sons, happier Ultramarine leaders.

Not to mention the frequent issue the space marines have with inquisitors.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2016, 12:00:32 AM »
It could also be as simple that the Emperor had a fix for the problem back at Terra in the 31'st millennium and that it was lost after the Horus Heresy like many other things.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2016, 12:43:40 AM »
Somewhere I was reading that the space wolves even managed to whip up a cure themselves before Magnus the red came along and ruined everything.

Sibling rivalry at it's best.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
"Prospero Burns" had a terran-born Space Wolf. He was one of the last and that book took place a couple decades before the start of HH. I guess that more light will be shed, when the Razing of Prospero will be released at the end of this year.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »
Strange the terrans had nearly died out of the SW. The other legions still had loads of them. Corax exiled loads, the traitor legions purged most of them on the first istvaan battle prior to drop pod massacre. The big E must of worked them hard to get them all killed so quickly.
The SW did have one successor chapter call the wolf brothers. They lasted a few millennium.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »
I seem to recall reading that the Space Wolves were generally more reckless in battle than the other legions.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2016, 05:22:21 PM »
It's a side question but why did Corax exile the one's in his legion? Did they just not fit with his plan/vision?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
Perhaps the Space Wolves have an advantage of some sort that makes them useful in keeping around?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2016, 09:00:45 PM »
Well, they are Space Marines and the Imperium relies a lot on those. So even if they have a defective geneseed and refuse to be part of the Codex Astartes, they are still a major asset. Hell, Blood Angels also have a defective geneseed that makes them dangerous and the Dark Angels is obviously hiding something.

As long as they do their job the High Lords of Terra probably don't care how funky the loyalist geneseed is.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2016, 12:31:20 PM »
It's a side question but why did Corax exile the one's in his legion? Did they just not fit with his plan/vision?

They were brutal oppressor, raised from the savage xeric tribes of terra. Used by the E to punish planets. They reminded him of the overseers of deliverence to much. He sent them out as nomad predication fleets to the out skirts of the galaxy. He didn't recall them even after the legion was massacred. One fleet went on to be the carchadons.

So why you complaining!

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »
Well, Terra was basically a poluted deathworld of thugs before the Emperor conquered it. I could see the Terran Space Marines having been more callous and cruel than Space Marines that was recruited from more civilised worlds.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
@Ursa, how do you intend to expand your army? I figure you have tacticals/grey hunters a dread and termies, you thinking long fangs, tanks, what's next?

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Besides the additional 20 Tactical Marines I intend to make I will have a Tactical Support Squad with Volkite Calivers, because Martian deathrays are fun and potentially dishing out 40 wounds per turn with ten Marines is kinda appealing). I have two Contemptor Dreads that I will make one of them go melee with a chainfist (because I kinda wanna have one berserker Dreadnought that can Smash in vehicles if he has to). I do have ten Terminators that I will give chainfists, powerfists and power axes. I also intend to make a Heavy Support Squad with missile launchers because I got ten missile launchers from all the sprues and ebay. I'm also considering turning the plastic heavy bolters into autocannons or something for another Heavy Support Squad that I can pick up on ebay. I figure I'm gonna turn the second Chaplain into a Librarian and I'm gonna wait and see what to do with the second Praetor.

Beyond that I'm gonna wait and see what GW releases for the next Horus Heresy boxed game that's apparently coming out later this year. I should have most of my guys painted by then.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
Sounds good. How 'portable' are they to 40k? I saw the bezerker dreads the SW have in 40k which looks a bit insane and the assault ram gunship. I always liked the scouts but in 30k there seem to be a power armour equivalent so how that works with the maturation of the black carapace I have no idea.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
Honestly, even if I have the Space Wolves codex, I found it to just be a boring army list so I didn't spend a lot of time looking up the units. I really intend to play with the 30k Legion Astartes rules against other 40k armies, so I haven't given any thoughts about carrying over units to the Space Wolves codex.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
Most of terran-born Marines were assholes. Callous, aloof, muderous and so on. The real difference was with Night Lords, as Nostramans were even worse than Terrans and probably World Eaters. The only "good" Terrans were Imperial Fists, Ultramarines (probably) and maybe White Scars? I dunno, the FW's Heresy still has a lot of undescribed parts about the legions for me to make a full assessment of them all.

BTW the terran Space Wolf from Prospero Burns was a cool guy, who saved the protagonist's life at the cost of his own. He was also one of the oldest Wolves at the time and a Rune Priest. :blush:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:06:55 PM by Xathrodox86 »

Gneisenau

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »
I do rather like the idea of a Terran born that found nobility and brotherhood after joining the Space Wolves, but he would never let himself forget where he came from. At Prospero he would be severely wounded and later put into a Dreadnought. Then he would die tragically at the siege of Terra while defending his former homeworld. (Edit- I actually don't think the Space Wolves was present for this battle. So I guess he would have to show up for the aftermatch to hunt down enemies in hiding.)

I was wondering how I should modify my third Contemptor Dreadnought to stand out a bit, I might model it after this idea.

I have also been meaning to paint minis for a few days now, but I haven't been getting anything done due to tension headaches and moodswings brought on by increased dosage of medication. I'll make it my goal to at least paint the Terran sergeant during the week.

Does anyone feel like making up a name for him?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:31:12 PM by Ursa Doom »

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
bob

So why you complaining!

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »
I think I will go with Bob Russ.

Thoughts?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2016, 03:15:14 PM »
Kharex Valaris.

Also if you want to make him unique add some distinguishing bits to the mini. Then, when you'll be doing his Dreadnought model, add the same bits to the chasis, alongside some unification-era symbols, like the Eagle and Lightning Bolts. It'll make wonders for the model.

Gneisenau