home

Author Topic: Old time Grenadier surprise premium figure  (Read 2594 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
Old time Grenadier surprise premium figure
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:10:21 PM »
Long ago in the dark dark ages, in toddling age stage of D&D there was a company by the name of grenadier who at the time made very good figures by the standards back then.  To promote sales of their themed box sets of figures in every 100 boxes there was placed a gold plated wizard figure. The other night while going through old boxes of stuff I found one of them. I am not sure of the exact year, but this figure is older than many of the readers. and it is of the old style metal, if you will notice he has suffered what we used to call nose bump, or flat schnozz, where the face has encountered a hard surface.  I think that I will end up turning him imto a monument for the wizards plaza of Buggerhoff (silent h). steveb

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Old time Grenadier surprise premium figure
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »
1982 I think. About the time I started collecting minis. I've never seen one before, that's a really nice find!  :eusa_clap:

Of course, I have gold plated my own wizard miniature more recently  :icon_smile:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »
That might well be worth a fortune steveb - wave the picture around Chumley ...............  :engel:

Seriously though have you googled for value?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:44:14 PM »
no I have not bothered, it is a souvenier of a time and place long gone but much loved.  steveb

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »
Still, it might be something worth looking into.  And with a collection your size, it probably needs to be insured.  A house fire would be devastating.   :ph34r:

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:07:38 PM »
Still, it might be something worth looking into.  And with a collection your size, it probably needs to be insured.  A house fire would be devastating.   :ph34r:
:eusa_clap:  brings thoughts of a viking funeral to mind, a drinking horn, a bear skin to wrap up in, and good sword or axe. Surrounded by all my faithful vassals.... what more could you desire?  If I just lived in a house boat...........  :-)  steveb

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »
One of my really good friends (who plays me frequently) is an insurance claims analysist.   He is repeatedly after me to get my collection insured.  And mine is only half painted!  Still, he makes a good point.  How much would it cost me to replace everything if I lost it all in a fire?  Something to think about.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:18:10 PM »
Ah!  Not seen one of those before.  I still have some figures made by Grenadier, some classic ones they are.  :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 01:04:11 AM »
Ah!  Not seen one of those before.  I still have some figures made by Grenadier, some classic ones they are.  :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
they were the standard at one time, the later production figures as in fantasy warrior line were an almost exact match for many of GW's figures, in fact I have hiden many of them in my GW units after cutting their bases off with a dremel tool and mounting them on 20x bases, that is the metal ones not the plastic ones that came with their fantasy warrior game althought they were not bad either.  Originally their focus was on the D&D player and dungeon masters needs, got into the whole army thing just a step to late.  Their rules if I could find them now were not too bad, I think they took into account training or experiance, fatigue and units could have mascots with powers I think.  Anyone have a copy of those old rules hanging around?  steveb