home

Author Topic: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Love is in the Air  (Read 55881 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Constable Fittly
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »
Pre battle jitters? Incredible.  Is that a piece of Brie he's holding?
Awesome stuff!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Sergeant Abba Stronginthearm
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
A Ghost - not Brie but a piece of turnip carved into the shape of a garlic bulb

This dwarf wears a black arm band as he has died in the books. Seen here enjoying his rat pie and chips, something he didn’t do in book life as he was murdered leaving the pie shop.

New figure with GS work.

Sergeant Abba Stronginthearm

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:14:06 PM by JAK »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
 :-D

Such character.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
'A Ghost - not Brie but a piece of turnip carved into the shape of a garlic bulb'

Of course! You said as much in your fluff. Me just missing the point again.
The guy with the rat pie - just awesome - as Zyg said - such character
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
All your models are well thought out, but this run of dwarves has so much character and such great details. I can smell the roses, the (false) garlic and the vomit... and I really want pie and chips now! :::cheers:::

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Constable Keenside
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2017, 07:01:23 PM »
In an effort to modernise the Watch HQ speaking tubes and a pneumatic messaging system were installed. Unfortunately rats gnawed the leather work and the tubes got crossed resulting in Keenside losing a few teeth.

Repainted figure with added rats and message carrier.

Constable Keenside.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:14:47 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Constable Ironbender
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2017, 06:45:26 PM »
Ironbender is only mentioned by name but I saw a cosplay costume as a dwarf like this so just had to do it.

Repainted figure on half-barrels.

Constable Ironbender

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:15:23 PM by JAK »

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Constable Ironbender
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2017, 02:37:16 AM »
On barrels, it is too funny,  I am going to steal  that excellent idea sometime soon.  steveb

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Corporal Ringfounder
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
During a time of high tensions between the troll and dwarf communities Ringfounder had his helmet dented by a thrown half brick and resigned from the force. Here he is carrying his letter of resignation.

Repainted figure.

Corporal Ringfounder

(I forgot to stick the brick on the base)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:15:56 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Dwarfs
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
A group shot to finish of them before going to the painting event – they didn’t win but got more likes on the Facebook page than the winner.

Thanks to everyone for looking and your comments – your viewing suffering will continue as there will be more - but I’m not sure when.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:16:24 PM by JAK »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) The Dwarfs
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:24 PM »
Love these, thanks for sharing  :::cheers:::

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) The Dwarfs
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
Yes! Love em all. Can't wait to read about them now in the series. That dwarf with the resignation letter says it all 😸
Thanks for posting.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Istat u
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »
Major PTompson-Forteskew-PSmythe (retired) is a cantankerous old bat never short of raising an issue with those he meets in the street; watch out if it’s you as he’s prone to waving his walking stick in front of your nose. He’s just had his most recent altercation “Move that thing Sonny, I nearly tripped over it – mind Little All’s buns - look at me while I’m talki…………

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:09:35 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Medusa
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
One of the things I’ve always liked about the Discworld series is the images that form in my head when reading, which is surprising as in truth descriptions are a little lacking. This is, however, very good for a modeller and allows a great deal of interpretation. My favourite example is the Pseudopolis Light Dragons (page 4 of the By Jingo thread) which was developed from a short paragraph in one novel. Today’s figure is not quite as dramatic as the Dragons but is based on a couple of lines which had no relevance to the main story.

“That woman they put in the Watch last month, the weird one from out Ephebe way. Gust of wind caught her sunglasses and three people turned into stone.” said the old lady.
  ‘She was a Medusa,’ said Glenda, ‘The wizards managed to turn them back again, though.’

I’m sure PTerry thought of her as being in a recognisable human form and size, like Medusa in the TV series Atlantis, otherwise the old lady would have said more than ‘weird’. However, there is at least one comment on the Net where he has been known to have discussed having snakes for hair so perhaps I should have just added a head scarf to the GW figure and a long dress to cover the tail, leaving  the rattle sticking out, but where’s the fun in that.

The bits I initially planned to use.

The WiP. The bow and arrows didn’t fit properly; she needed to be holding her sunglasses so no free hand for a sword and mirrored shield either which just left a spear.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:07:59 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Medusa (part two)
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
Still having problems with posts due to Server Errors so this is a continuation of above post.

Finished figure.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:20:04 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Medusa (part three)
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
Still having problems with posts due to Server Errors so this is a continuation of above posts.

Not sure which living sculpture to add on the base?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:20:27 PM by JAK »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Medusa (three posts)
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
Quite the figure there!  I'm amazed at the creativity with this Disc World stuff.  I haven't read Pratchett's stuff, and some how I'm not sure I'd appreciate it much, it seems a bit wacky, but I'm not complaining, just observing.

I'd use the figure on the left, he looks suitably amazed, surprised, fearful, and looks like he's been turned to stone in the middle of it.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
The greenstuff work is great. How did you do the scales?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Medusa (finished)
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »
Warlord – the scales are just a small dia. Brass tube pressed into a thin layer of fresh GS. Didn’t expect it to work as well as it did so didn’t put the effort in to make the pattern symmetrical.

Finished Medusa, with victim, ready to go off to part three of the painting event.

I now have 3 weeks to build and paint a possibly human unit for part four of the event (and more importantly for On the March 2017)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:20:52 PM by JAK »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
I thought it might have been something like that - like a biro lid even. It looks great, and your paintjob makes it look like you did plan it, so nicely done!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »
Thanks Warlord.

Brass tube gives much thinner gaps than the Biro or other plastic tubes. I can’t think that I’ll be doing this again in the near future but would think that with a pair of pliers you could squeeze the tube into a hexagonal shape. Brass also comes in hollow square sections so can have diamond scales as well if wanted.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
Really awesome! I hope the bread carrier makes an appearance.  I think my favorite so far is the dwarf with the resignation letter. Absolutely priceless.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
Really awesome! I hope the bread carrier makes an appearance.

I will eventually add him to one of the display/movement boards.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
Excellent medusa! Would quite like to see that polished hoplon though, possibly slung on her back. It would also add some bulk to what is otherwise a very tall, thin model. But it's very good as is!  :eusa_clap:

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Lance-Constable Slapper
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Uniform

The Watch uniform isn’t really described anywhere in the books other than helmet, breastplate, knee breeches and boots with nothing on colours; although Vimes does comment in one book that he preferred a uniform you could lurk in. At the start of the series the equipment was old and rusty and fitted where it touched.  The ‘official’ Paul Kidby illustrations are a bit drab and plain while the original novel illustrator Josh Kirby used gold metal and red and white.

The illustration of Nobby in the Peeled Nuts, a historical re-enactment society, is a very over the top Elizabethan style with multi-slashed clothes, enormous ruff and a multitude of feathers which is partly why the toned-down Empire style was chosen to be the base for this army. 

For colours we wanted to honour the Kirby red and white but keep it lurkable. While looking for a new paint supplier over the past months I found a range by Humbrol intended for model railways. They had a good selection of colours but many had a gloss finish and were not clearly marked as such; I did find matt versions of a dark red, fawn and a mid-blue which have been used. Good paints but need to be stirred rather than shaken to mix.

To start our next batch of figures we have:-

Lance-Constable Slapper

His claim to fame is that he was one of the men sent to take over from the Palace Guard after an assassination attempt was made on the Patrician. Being a typical Watchman he has ‘acquired’ a non-rusty helmet and the longer spear of a replaced Palace guardsman.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:23:29 PM by JAK »