home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 201561 times)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:08:57 PM »
Greetings,

As some of you already know, my friends and I are preparing a massive game around the historical Battle at the Gates of Kislev. No?! you didn't know it yet?! How is that possible?! Click here now! http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,51441.0.html
Well, for the rest, I like to share with you some of our works.
This is a big project: I have an entire imperial army (about 10.000 points) to paint in 7 months (plus scenery, plus some chaos units, plus conversions). Please, can you pray for me?

Anyway, it must be done.

And to start this blog, let me show you what I've been working on lasts weeks: an special war altar of Sigmar inspired in an awesome illustration of the warhammer rulebook of 7th edition. It's not finished yet: it remains a unit of 20 flagelants in chains pulling it.
Hope you like it! Any comment will be welcome.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:21:30 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:24:02 AM »
WOW
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 12:30:16 AM »
very impressive.  steveb

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 06:12:46 AM »
Now that is a war altar truly worthy of sigmar. !

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 06:35:35 AM »
Thank you. This is the illustration that inspired me. Neverless, I don't you who is his author; maybe Paul Dainton or Karl Kopinsky?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »
That is really, really cool!

If I had one tiny criticism, it's that the big open deck of the altar looks a bit empty. Maybe some more crew or more fire or more relics or more trophies?

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »
You are right. The first idea was to put some little torches on the flancs, but I didn't achieve it. If I can find another crew, this could be an improvement. Will see... For now I will leave it in this way while painting another stuff.

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
Coolness  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

True massive heroic Warhammer style.  :biggriin:
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
It's a great piece and very well done. But .. you're gonna need more than 20 flagellants to pull that!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
Wow! This is great idea as a Great project! Good lucky and good work!

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »
It's a great piece and very well done. But .. you're gonna need more than 20 flagellants to pull that!
true that. it could be a crazy mixture of draft animals and flagellants as well.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Booah

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:18:52 PM »
I echo what had been said. That War Altar is amazing. This sonds like a brilliant project.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 11:39:13 PM »
14 of the torch heads like the priest is holding, would look fantastic with seven on each side.  that would also make it look a little more dynamic due to the flame action/direction.  perhapsif you do not have 14 we could take up a collection from forum members and see if we could get you that many, are you interested in doing that?  steveb

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
 :-o

Wow! Phenominal! That a an incredible WAlter! I can't wait to see what else you have brewing...

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 06:31:12 AM »
Sorry for the delay. I've been very busy these days.

true that. it could be a crazy mixture of draft animals and flagellants as well.

Hmmm... I will think about that

14 of the torch heads like the priest is holding, would look fantastic with seven on each side.  that would also make it look a little more dynamic due to the flame action/direction.  perhapsif you do not have 14 we could take up a collection from forum members and see if we could get you that many, are you interested in doing that?  steveb

Wow! I didn't think in the flaming flagellants heads... nice idea! Maybe 14 is too many but I'm sure I got 10 of them, at least. Thank you very much about the offer Steveb.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »
Well, last weekend I finally finished my first imperial unit ever. And it was not 10 handgunners or 20 spearmen... but an horde of 59 swordmen! (and 2 captains)
My own army comes from Ostermark (the reason is simply: I like his colours acheme the most), and this is good for our game, since Ostermark is the closest province to Kislev, so it's seems plausible that Ortermak provides a lot of troops in the Battle at the Gates of Kislev.

The standard is not finished yet; first I will paint the rest of the standardbearers of the army and then I will paint all the standards together.

Lastly, I want to comment that 90% of my army is second handed (not sure if that expression is correct. I mean I bought it not new but already used, from other gamers). The advantage is that is cheaper, and they are already assembled and mostly printed. So I gain a lot of time. Disavantage: the painting is not good and they are not polished. I will repaint all of them but first I had to polish them all: about 450 infantry models (only infantry!!). I spent almost a week to prepare all of them... and yes, it wasn't funny... :icon_lol:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »
WOW, sweet army dude
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »
Looks like an outstanding paintjob on the State Troopers!  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:

Care to take a closer picture? The captains especially.

Looks like you're proceeding swiftly. Either you must have lots of time, or you are a very fast painter.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 11:54:12 PM »
Good job! First brick done. On to the next  :-P

I can relate to the pile of used miniatures. That's what I do, too. Buying in bulk is the way to go for big armies. All it takes is some extra blood, sweat and tears and then they can head back into battle.

According to the history books, armies from all provinces joined in at the Gates of Kislev so eventually you will need to tackle your less favorite paint schemes. In fact, if you have 40k points and maybe half is spent on ogres, dwarfs, flagellants, knights and other non-state colored troops, that allows you 2000point armies for ten provinces right there. Sounds intimidating... For major extra cool points on the big day you would set up each provincial army together. They may all have the common goal to postpone the end times but still e.g., the proud Reiklanders wouldn't intermingle with stinky Stirlanders all that much. Gotta keep these guys at arms length.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 12:19:43 AM »
In fact, if you have 40k points and maybe half is spent on ogres, dwarfs, flagellants, knights and other non-state colored troops, that allows you 2000point armies for ten provinces right there.

Though in 2301 there would be 11 liveried provinces as the Westerland (Marienburg) would be still considered part of the Empire and it's last Count, Paulus van der Maacht, died during the war whilst on campaign with Magnus perhaps even during the battle itself.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »
Fantastic project !
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
Thank you soldiers!

Looks like an outstanding paintjob on the State Troopers!  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:

Care to take a closer picture? The captains especially.

Looks like you're proceeding swiftly. Either you must have lots of time, or you are a very fast painter.  :-)

Of course! But, as you can see, I'm not very good taking photos... I have to improve my skills on that...

Good job! First brick done. On to the next  :-P

I can relate to the pile of used miniatures. That's what I do, too. Buying in bulk is the way to go for big armies. All it takes is some extra blood, sweat and tears and then they can head back into battle.

According to the history books, armies from all provinces joined in at the Gates of Kislev so eventually you will need to tackle your less favorite paint schemes. In fact, if you have 40k points and maybe half is spent on ogres, dwarfs, flagellants, knights and other non-state colored troops, that allows you 2000point armies for ten provinces right there. Sounds intimidating... For major extra cool points on the big day you would set up each provincial army together. They may all have the common goal to postpone the end times but still e.g., the proud Reiklanders wouldn't intermingle with stinky Stirlanders all that much. Gotta keep these guys at arms length.

Well first, some considerations: we are 3 imperials collectors in this project. The first one, whose name is Diosko, have a little Middenheim army (about 3.000 point). The second one, Pep, is currently painting his army with stirland's colour scheme (about 10.000 points). His army is oldschool style, so some of you will enjoy watching his models. He also has a unit of each main knighly orders: Panther, Blazing sun, Reiskgard (or whatelse in this battle) and White Wolf. My own army is also about 10-12K points, ready to paint.
So, I have a dilemma right here. I wanted an army enterely from Ostermark and I usually pay special attention in the full army colour scheme. See for example the army of Middenheim of Hoodling's Hole: large army but perfectly united thanks to their limited colour palette. That was what I wanted.
But on the ather hand I want to recreate this battle as "real" as possible, and that means painting units from different provinces...
Ideally, would be enough with 2 or 3 units from the rest of provinces, that means (uncounting Middenland, Ostermark and Stirland), 8 provinces= 16-24 units more. Not only it's difficult to accomplish, but also I don't want 12K points army with an eclectic colour escheme.

Maybe I will chose the aristotellic way and will add some units from other provinces but not all of them... Tomorrow I have a meeting with Pep, the other game-organizer, and we will deliver about that.
But we are agree with you, Naitsabes, in deployment terms: each province will deploy united, with his elector count leading it.

Though in 2301 there would be 11 liveried provinces as the Westerland (Marienburg) would be still considered part of the Empire and it's last Count, Paulus van der Maacht, died during the war whilst on campaign with Magnus perhaps even during the battle itself.

Thank you very much, S.O.F., for this information. I didn't know it yet. This is what I love the most of this forum: your high knwoledge level.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:02:57 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »
Awesome work dude!

Your war altar is just amazing! Congrulations.  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Do you project to play with the 9th rules ?

Keep going your awesome army, I will follow it with attention!
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 11:33:59 PM »
Thank you Alex-bbr.
Yes, we'll use 9th age rules, only with specific minor changes (like maximum unit sizes)

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 12:32:27 AM »
Go for it my man, go for it  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)