home

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar: Three Ways to Play  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
Age of Sigmar: Three Ways to Play
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:42:43 AM »

So, by this summer there will be three ways to play Age of Sigmar:

1. Open Play, with any number of models/armies/players

2. Narrative Play, with scenarios set in the world of the Age of Sigmar

3. Matched Play, with points and tournaments

What does everyone think?

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: Age of Sigmar: Three Ways to Play
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
I've really enjoyed having the competitive element removed.  I'd be extremely reluctant to go back to that style of playing.  I'll stick to Open play, or more likely Narrative play.

I fear it will quickly go back to only being set number of points with a plain pitched battle, and min/max lists.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:04:30 PM »
It doesn't say points for units / models... could be a reference to winning points to determine who wins a tournament.. I'm withholding any feelings till more is known
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:38:29 PM »
a bit more information I found :

That’s right, guys. As of this summer, you’ll have your pick of 3 great ways to play Warhammer Age of Sigmar. We couldn’t be more excited, and we’re certain you’ll love it too.

We’ll have more details for you soon. For now:

Open Play is probably the most similar to the way you play now, but there are new rules on the way to give you even more freedom, including the option for huge multi-player battles.

Narrative Play is as you’d expect – recreating the great stories and epic encounters from the Age of Sigmar. To help you forge your own stories within the Mortal Realms, there are also some really cool campaign rules and tools on the way as well.

Finally, Matched Play is something we know a lot of you have been keen to see. We’ve put these rules together in association with some of the world’s biggest tournament organisers, to create a new standard for balanced competitive play. And yes, it includes points values.

Okay Internet, go nuts.

Let's see how this develops

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »
U turning more than a U boat.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Champildhir

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/juan.pascualanaya
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:56:50 AM »
It doesn't say points for units / models... could be a reference to winning points to determine who wins a tournament.. I'm withholding any feelings till more is known

Eeeeh, no.... GW has even confirmed in the comments section of their post that even older warscrolls will have points...

Offline Champildhir

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/juan.pascualanaya
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:57:53 AM »
Actually, the points system will be largely based on the last SCGT2016 tournament. That's why they covered it. There will be a podcast by helenhammer later this week in which he will be able to give more details.

Source: twitter  :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »
U turning more than a U boat.
:icon_lol:

Ah!  And perhaps more like a U turning moose.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 06:27:02 AM »
Their whole no points thing could have worked it they'd made different formations readily available instead of releasing them in umpteen different books. Like you can choose between these valid formations and your foe can choose between these and have at it.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 07:02:03 AM »
What would really help is if you have the book, it could come with an unlock code or something for the same contents in the app.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 09:18:03 AM »
Their whole no points thing could have worked it they'd made different formations readily available instead of releasing them in umpteen different books. Like you can choose between these valid formations and your foe can choose between these and have at it.
yes.

I totaly understand why they promoted "you can use your old models", and made war scrolls for them. but it made it a bit of a sprawling mess.
Could have made a more coherent game without doing so, but then of course annoy the old vets even more.

Then again, I hate all the new models, so maybe not!

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »
The Bad Dice podcast has some more information about this:

The Generals Handbook is an awesome new release from games workshop that includes 3 new ways to play Age of Sigmar including Open, Narrative and Matched play.

Open play is pretty much Age of Sigmar as we know it now, Narrative is story driven along the line of the realm gate wars books and the 3rd version is Matched play which includes a FULL POINTS SYSTEM for all Warscrolls in the Age of Sigmar.

Ben Curry (Bad Dice Podcast), Dan Heelan (Heelanhammer), Wayne Kemp and Russ Veal (Facehammer) were invited into games workshop to, and i quote, “Help make it great”

This episode is our experiences on this fantastic weekend and a first look at what is coming in the Generals Handbook.

In the show, in addition to talking about the fantastic time we had meeting Jervis Johnson and other members of the studio, and getting to play stet some of the ideas and scenarios in the book and we also release more information about the contents of the book.

First thing, its a book and will be release in the summer.
There are 5 new campaigns including path to glory,
22 new battle plans from small games all the way up to epic battles between the games biggest characters.
6 new ‘Pitched Battle’ scenarios
Multi-player and team play and of course,
full points values for every Warscroll in Age of Sigmar.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 02:05:08 AM »
Perhaps they are trying hard, yet further wisdom may be obtained when we see the book.

Which will of course cost $222.

:engel:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 04:03:08 AM »
I've seen a rumour that it's going to cost £15.    That sounds too low for what it contains, but depends whether it's softback, and in the Grand Alliance price range or hardback in the Realmgate Wars price range.   Should think £40 is the most it's likely to cost.

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 04:15:23 AM »
The prices on many of the recent books have been quite reasonable.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »
"Ben Curry (Bad Dice Podcast), Dan Heelan (Heelanhammer), Wayne Kemp and Russ Veal (Facehammer) were invited into games workshop to, and i quote, “Help make it great”"

because GW don't hire any game testers. In case you didn't realise. Hope they paid these chaps, and not just abused the "wow we can help GW, I love GW, this is cool!"

4 consultants, for a day each, to help totally re-work their 2nd biggest product? that would cost a shit load if not abusing the fans for it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:44:49 AM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »
If the consultants had qualifications worth paying for, yeah. Don't know if these guys do. Have they written successful games themselves?

Honestly even if things get better it's still the same old GW running it... I just can't bring myself to trust them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »
Bingo!

Ding, ding, ding, next patient please!

:engel:

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 03:32:19 AM »
The General's Handbook is now up for pre-order,  and my local GW already has a copy, so I got to have a flick through it.  There is a lot of content in there covering open play, narrative play and matched play.  Definite buy for me.  The narrative stuff, especially Path to Glory for all the factions most interests me. 

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit