home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 86910 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »
Finished Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett. With recomdations from several members I bought a 2nd hand copy online for .60  cents plus shipping from amazon. Pretty cheap for an incredibly funny book. Almost every page was humorous. I can't remember laughing so much at his take on humanity. Definitely on my list of favourite authors. Now to find the next one to read. Thanks
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
@Artobans Ghost
"The fools were holding their trousers at half mast and had a fifty custard pie salute". Its been 11 years since i read Guards, Guards but
i still remember several quotes.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »
Bosworth 1485 by Michael Jones.  It's a different look at Richard III and how his final battle played out.  It's written more as a popular history, with academic notes not being that heavy in the text.  It's on the rehabilitation side of the story and has been quite interesting.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
Finishing the Eisenhorn omnibus. Some of the best, sci-fi fiction that I've ever read. Seriously. :icon_redface:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
Finishing the Eisenhorn omnibus. Some of the best, sci-fi fiction that I've ever read. Seriously. :icon_redface:

That omnibus was pure genius. Loved every letter. 
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »

That omnibus was pure genius. Loved every letter.

After that I'll start on Ravenor and finally - Bequin.

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »
Bequin? Did something get by me 😺?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
It's the last part of Abnett's inquisition saga, concentrating mainly on Bequin, Eisenhorn's blank. Heard mixed things about it.

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
Just finished for about the fourth time (about every ten years or so) 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer. Written in the 60's I think, it is about a French national (German mother, French father) who joined the Wehrmacht after the invasion and his personal journey across the Russian front and eventually joining  the Grossdeucthland division. It is not to be read as a historical narrative but strictly as a personal journey thru the total depths of hell and despair. It's a true story and relates the day to day struggle of that nightmare. One of my favorite books. 
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »
Just finished for about the fourth time (about every ten years or so) 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer. Written in the 60's I think, it is about a French national (German mother, French father) who joined the Wehrmacht after the invasion and his personal journey across the Russian front and eventually joining  the Grossdeucthland division. It is not to be read as a historical narrative but strictly as a personal journey thru the total depths of hell and despair. It's a true story and relates the day to day struggle of that nightmare. One of my favorite books.

I know that one, read it numerous times while a teen. I should look for that book next time I'm at my parents, it deserves another read.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:14 AM »
@Bawtrm - agreed about another read. I have given away 3 copies of this book to friends just in the hopes they read it. My final copy I'm hanging onto 😺 Truly inspiring on a human level.
Next up - just finished Warbeast by Gav Thorpe. Working my way thru the realmgate novels. Really enjoyed it and further into the fluff I go, I have to say I like it. Really understanding the new releases and so forth. Onto The Fury of Gork where I came upon a colour scheme that has me thinking .... - “The Sons of Mallus had been forge-struck under the zenith of the Dark Moon, and their armour was a polished black, edged in purple and gold,”
Just started this but I always liked Josh Reynolds
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2017, 11:45:09 PM »
Finished Fury of Gork. Probably my favorite of the realmgate Wars. Great battle scenes and fights and a pretty good insight into the orruk mindset - if you can call it that.
Back to 40k with Ezekiel and the dark angels. My first 40k army and on equal footing with my like of the Space Wolves.
Looking forward to it.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2017, 11:53:42 PM »
I started reading about the Silk Roads, a book called The Silk Roads, by Peter Frankopan, and in the beginning it was great. Really interesting to see how the wealth flowing from the trade roads kickstarted so many empires. About half way through the book though I'd just lost a bit of interest. Really interesting stuff, but he's only concerned about the history of economy. There's a lot of weird moments where major empires or people show up out of no where, he talks about them for a paragraph, then they disappear again. The Ottomans for example just kind of show up, conquer Constantinople, and are never mentioned again. Prior history knowledge aside, that seems like something that would effect trade.

So from there I've moved onto another really interesting book called Ghost On The Throne by James Romm. It's the history of Alexander the Great's empire, starting a week before he died. Everyone generally knows Alexander and what he did, but this book is all about AFTER him what everyone else did. His empire collapses incredibly fast as all his generals start fighting with each other and claiming his land.

It's a lot of stuff I only vaguely knew, so it's real interesting to finally get some names and places sorted. Just about all his greatest generals turn on each other, there's betrayal left right and center, and the empire disintegrates.

it's a really good book. It stays pretty informative but does a good job keeping the story interesting.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2017, 01:20:47 AM »
Ghost on a Throne looks really good. Always interesting to see how fast empires fall apart when it's only one truly inspirational person who starts them. What's even more amazing is empires that remain for long periods of time and the effort to do so.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
The novelization of Star Wars the Force Awakens really fill in some major plot holes. Like how what happens to Poe after the TIE crash. How Starkiller base actually works (worm holes), and an actual ground battle of the surface of Starkiller base.  Its like a LotR extended movie version.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2017, 12:24:33 AM »
I assume it also explains what significance those planets were that they blew up, what 'the resistance' actually is, what happened to 'the empire' after 'jedi', why the resistance has only a handful of xwings, etc?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2017, 09:54:29 AM »
I think it does go into more about the planets that were destroyed.  The Republic government no longer resides on Coruscant and rotates to hopefully cut down on corruption.  At the time of TFA the capital was in the Hosnian System and those planets were the ones targeted by Starkiller base.  The First Order has its own territory on the outer rim where the remnants of the Empire fled.  Instead of prolonging the civil war, there was a peace settled and the Empire and Rebels/New Repbulic went to their respective corners.  The Resistance is the remnant of the Rebel faction that didn't want to leave the Empire (now the First Order) to rebuild their strength.  They don't have a lot of manpower or weaponry because they're a splinter faction of extremists who couldn't leave well enough alone.

Some of that might be from other books, I don't remember where all the info comes from.  I think that's a weakness in story telling, to leave so many crucial gaps that they need to be filled in via books.

not together.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
So from there I've moved onto another really interesting book called Ghost On The Throne by James Romm. It's the history of Alexander the Great's empire, starting a week before he died. Everyone generally knows Alexander and what he did, but this book is all about AFTER him what everyone else did. His empire collapses incredibly fast as all his generals start fighting with each other and claiming his land.

It's a lot of stuff I only vaguely knew, so it's real interesting to finally get some names and places sorted. Just about all his greatest generals turn on each other, there's betrayal left right and center, and the empire disintegrates.

it's a really good book. It stays pretty informative but does a good job keeping the story interesting.

I studies the Hellenistic era for my MA and it's totally awesome.
My thesis was about macedonian-egyptian architecture in Alexandria.

re star wars, hopefully they fill a bunch of that in in the 2nd and 3rd films.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »
That's my hope as well, Finlay.

not together.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »
Stuff.

Ah, ok. Makes sense.

Some of that might be from other books, I don't remember where all the info comes from.  I think that's a weakness in story telling, to leave so many crucial gaps that they need to be filled in via books.

Yeah, i think they were going for a touch of ANH with its ambiguous references to the rebellion, the empire, and the clone wars.
Challenge it has though, is its continuing a story, not starting fully from scratch.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »
So from there I've moved onto another really interesting book called Ghost On The Throne by James Romm. It's the history of Alexander the Great's empire, starting a week before he died. Everyone generally knows Alexander and what he did, but this book is all about AFTER him what everyone else did.

I studies the Hellenistic era for my MA and it's totally awesome.
My thesis was about macedonian-egyptian architecture in Alexandria.

The hellenistic period is the most interesting part of ancient history imo. I recommend the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome TW or Medieval 2 TW if anyone's interested. Roma Surrectum is good too, same time period.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2017, 03:39:49 PM »
I assume it also explains what significance those planets were that they blew up, what 'the resistance' actually is, what happened to 'the empire' after 'jedi', why the resistance has only a handful of xwings, etc?
Yes but I think it is explained more in the novel Bloodlines (its about Princess Leia post war and pre Ep7).  The resistance forms because the Republic refuses to do anything about the New Order (Empire Remnant).  The Galactic situation is akin to the Old Republic MMORPG where the galaxy is divided and there is a cold war of sorts, this time between the Order and the Republic.  The new republic did not want to be like the Empire so they reduced the military.  The resistance forms to actively fight the Order and is not backed by the Republic.  It would be like if a bunch of Iraqi War vets started their own group to go and fight ISIS since the US isn't going back in there.

To be honest I haven't really read these books but instead I've been listening to the podcast Star Wars: New Canon Book Club. Its really fun to listen to. They cover novels, comics, and TV shows, and the recent movies.  The 3 guys doing it are a treat to listen to (Although Alex and Davis sound very similar to each other, especially since Jesse's voice is so different).  So if you don't want to read or listen to the audio book, this makes a great and fun alternative. https://soundcloud.com/starwarsbookclub
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
Just reread Star Risk. I miss Chris Bunch. He built good worlds.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.