home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 85724 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #275 on: September 14, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »

Challenge it has though, ...
Sounds like Yoda.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #276 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
Sieges of the English Civil Wars by John Barratt. Good stuff, so far. Makes me wanna incorporate loads more ideas into siege scenarios.
I'm interested in reading a good book on the ECW.  I didn't even know there were sieges during it.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #277 on: September 14, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
Just finished for about the fourth time (about every ten years or so) 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer. Written in the 60's I think, it is about a French national (German mother, French father) who joined the Wehrmacht after the invasion and his personal journey across the Russian front and eventually joining  the Grossdeucthland division. It is not to be read as a historical narrative but strictly as a personal journey thru the total depths of hell and despair. It's a true story and relates the day to day struggle of that nightmare. One of my favorite books.
I know that one, read it numerous times while a teen. I should look for that book next time I'm at my parents, it deserves another read.

Sounds like this might be worth a go.  Thanks for sharing!

Read it GP. It's truly gripping. You won't be able to put it down. I have a copy and will loan it to you if need be. (I say loan because I've given away 3 previous copies because it's so good.) I'll pay postage there and back if you want. Did I say it was good?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:35:13 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »
Wondering when this was published, is it based on the newest interpretation of Stanley knowing all along which side he was falling on?

Originally 2002 but the edition I have is 2014 so there is some interpretation from archaeological evidence found in 2012. If I recall correctly the book takes the stance that Richard didn't know which way Stanley was leaning.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »
My most recent understanding from Bicheno's book is the same, and that Stanley's deception was a long running process.  If I recall correctly, the assertion seems to be made that Stanley might not have wanted to involve himself in the war most of the time anyway.

I need to go back and reread the chapter on Bosworth (in his second volume "Blood Royal"), although the one on Towton (in his first volume "Battle Royal") is also very good.  The increased knowledge regarding Towton I've been aware of for awhile, yet having Bicheno wrap into his book provided an interpretation of further archaeological evidence I hadn't seen previously, and it was fascinating.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
I found at an antique store in the little town of Floyd, VA, all for $10

1924 Abridged version of Pilgrim's Progress
1908 version of a travel diary through Palestine called "Out-of-doors in the Holy Land"
Old 3 volume collection of complete works Charles Dickens
Reprinting of a diary of Moravian Settlers in North Carolina that reads suspiciously like Rufus Sparkfire wrote it.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #281 on: September 14, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
My most recent understanding from Bicheno's book is the same, and that Stanley's deception was a long running process.  If I recall correctly, the assertion seems to be made that Stanley might not have wanted to involve himself in the war most of the time anyway.

I need to go back and reread the chapter on Bosworth (in his second volume "Blood Royal"), although the one on Towton (in his first volume "Battle Royal") is also very good.  The increased knowledge regarding Towton I've been aware of for awhile, yet having Bicheno wrap into his book provided an interpretation of further archaeological evidence I hadn't seen previously, and it was fascinating.

Stanley was pretty slippery and never wanted to commit if he didn't have to.  The History of England podcast is quite good and is into the Tudor period now, goes over the Wars of the Roses pretty well.  I've listened for a long time now and have a better understanding of the Wars of the Roses. However, I wish I remembered more from it, but it's so much information, and the Wars of the Roses has always been one of those conflicts that is hard for me to keep straight due to the ever changing political landscape.

I found at an antique store in the little town of Floyd, VA, all for $10

How in the world did you end up in Floyd?

not together.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »
Went camping in Rocky Knob, VA. Floyd and Meadows of Dan are nearest towns. They have a killer Tex Mex place.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #285 on: September 14, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »
Been there! They sell a LOT of bumper stickers.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #286 on: September 14, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »
It's an ironically close drive from Blue Ball, PA

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #287 on: September 14, 2017, 10:06:03 PM »
I have in fact been to intercourse.... PA. yes...

I've also been to both Dildo and Conception Newfoundland. Fun places.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #288 on: September 14, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Amish were selling fudge too, nice stuff.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #289 on: September 15, 2017, 02:11:47 AM »
Amish were selling fudge too, nice stuff.

I've actually never been. I'd like to make it up to Gettysburg area sometime next year. The Amish I've met in Indiana also make good fudge.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #290 on: September 15, 2017, 06:42:27 AM »
Stanley was pretty slippery and never wanted to commit if he didn't have to.  The History of England podcast is quite good and is into the Tudor period now, goes over the Wars of the Roses pretty well.  I've listened for a long time now and have a better understanding of the Wars of the Roses. However, I wish I remembered more from it, but it's so much information, and the Wars of the Roses has always been one of those conflicts that is hard for me to keep straight due to the ever changing political landscape.
I say that Stanley might have had as much impact on who would be King by his inaction, as Warwick had with his action.  The War of the Roses went from about 1440 to 1485, and Stanley's troops didn't show at Blore Heath in 1450, didn't join Henry VI at Northhampton in 1460, didn't involve himself with Edward IV's Towton campaign in 1462, and didn't join Warwick in the 1470.  And it can be said that Richard wouldn't have been King if Stanley had been mortally wounded in June of 1483, and there after Richard spared Lady Stanley from her actions, awarded a knightship to Stanley and his brothers with offices in the north, all reasons to presume Stanley's support when Henry Tudor arrived from France in 1485.

Regarding the politics of the era, in reading Bicheno's books, there is quite a bit of discussion involving the influence of the French.  As an example and with the Bosworth campaign, various accounts of historians follow the Tudor narrative of the French playing a minor role in Henry VII's effort, and yet the French commanders present were one that later became a marshal of France, and the other was commander of French Royal Guard, and so their contingents accompanying Henry into England had to not only be significant, but also paid for by France, and armed and drilled in the continental fashion of military fighting of the time.

And back to Stanley, Henry marched into Stanley's territory where one of Stanley's men acted as a co-ordinator with Henry while Stanley stayed away, and when the campaign moved into high gear, Stanley marched parallel to Henry while reporting to Richard that he was blocking Henry's march, yet in actuality seems to have been screening it.  And this was followed up by Stanley reporting to Richard that Henry's Vanguard had taken a certain route, which caused Richard to move his army in a way that placed him in a spot where numerical superiority was neutralized by location, and if this was Stanley's intention, quite the deception could already have been in motion, particularly if one takes into account where the French vanguard of Henry ended up on the battlefield followed by the rest of Henry's troops.  And then before the battle even started, it appears Stanley backed up his position while his brother moved his own forces more in line with how the rest of Henry's moved onto the field.  Meanwhile, Percy troops and artillery, the latter as shown through where artillery shot has been archaeologically discovered to have fallen, stayed in a position to cover Stanley while Richard led his forces down into the valley to confront Henry the contender and his French allies.

I had read Bicheno's first volume of the two book series, and was quite pleased with the detail and interpretations based on such, even sensing that so much after Towton and in the second book was somewhat anti-climatic, even the Warwick side switching.  Then in reading the Bosworth ending, my ride through the two volumes became quite the enjoyable experience.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:48:12 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #291 on: September 15, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »
Went camping in Rocky Knob, VA. Floyd and Meadows of Dan are nearest towns. They have a killer Tex Mex place.

Roger that.  I went to university about 1/2 hour away from there.

I say that Stanley might have had as much impact on who would be King by his inaction, as Warwick had with his action.

Very good point.

Regarding the politics of the era, in reading Bicheno's books, there is quite a bit of discussion involving the influence of the French.  As an example and with the Bosworth campaign, various accounts of historians follow the Tudor narrative of the French playing a minor role in Henry VII's effort, and yet the French commanders present were one that later became a marshal of France, and the other was commander of French Royal Guard, and so their contingents accompanying Henry into England had to not only be significant, but also paid for by France, and armed and drilled in the continental fashion of military fighting of the time.

I don't agree with the French having little impact.  Without their support Henry wouldn't have stood a chance.

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #292 on: September 15, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
I agree with you.

And I had always seen the French as in the background of the WotRs, a place where defeated nobles were able to find refuge, and yet that by itself seems to have been more intentional than I realized previously.  It was interesting reading some of the politics of the French along side what was happening in England at the time.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #293 on: September 15, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Roger that.  I went to university about 1/2 hour away from there.

Did you visit Floyd very often? It's not a small town, "it's a state of mind". They had a surprisingly large craft beer selection.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
Na, never did.  But there were a lot of Floyd folk that went to school there.

not together.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »
I collected my Pratchett reservations from the library, looking forward to starting "guards, guards" as a counterpoint to handmaid's tale which i'm also reading atm.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2017, 01:45:30 AM »
I collected my Pratchett reservations from the library, looking forward to starting "guards, guards" as a counterpoint to handmaid's tale which i'm also reading atm.
How are you liking handmaiden tale so far?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
Just started Dark Imperium. Gives the backdrop to Guilliman's return and the creation of the primaris marines. It makes much more sense now and looking at them in a different light now. Liking it a lot. Seeing how they are made with all the different primarchs gene code, I see how I could add some units to the Wolves. Brain fighting with the though of spending more cash. I still have a full battalion box to get thru.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »
How are you liking handmaiden tale so far?
Quite a lot, but it is fairly grim.

the TV show was a major libido killer, so don't watch it before bed time with the wife if you have any ideas.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2017, 01:26:28 AM »
Finished Dark Imperium. What a great book. Learned a lot about Guilliman and the Primaris marines. They all make sense now including Crawl the tech lord. Looking at his model in a new light. It actually gives a little hope to the Imperium. Not sure if there's a book before this that actually deals with Guilliman s return and the new crusade.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020