home

Author Topic: Inquisitor Danforth Laertes & the Order of Our Crystal Lady (Superheavy fun)  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Remodelling the kitchen into a display room for plastic Sisters.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Everybody wins!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Shamelessly pimping my blog http://opheliaviidustzone.blogspot.com/ which has pictures and so forth, but also some musings about the theology of the Imperial Cult (and why I don't think Repentia make sense).

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
On a side note: wouldn't a more apt name be Inquisitor Lanforth Duterte?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Not for someone who follows due process and is a male orphan from Ophelia (hence the name given in the Scholla).

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Ordo Hereticus follows due process?

Hippies.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Danforth Laertes follows due process.

This is one of the background details of my Order and Danforth; I wanted to make them a bright-spot in the grimdark universe. They are brutal and uncompromising (and will burn a heretic alive without a thought), but they are also fair (insofar as heterodox-thought being a capital-crime can be fair). The Order is based in a neglected part of Ophelia VII, the 'Dust (industrial) Zone. As the glorious temples have grown, the workers have been crowded into a smaller and smaller ghetto. They are poor, ignorant and uneducated - few preachers come to them. The Order of Our Crystal Lady does more than fight wars; it helps these workers with schools for their children, hospitals for the injured and infirm, even retirement homes for those who can no longer work.

Danforth is a child of the 'Dust Zone (he is actually the son of the current Canoness after she was raped by an Inquisitor, but that is a separate part of the story!) and remembers how the Sisters educated him, and even protected him against an angry mob when his psychic powers appeared. He's seen too-many of his fellow Inquisitors abuse their position. He would never let a criminal go free, but he won't leave an investigation half-done and just sign his name to a guilty verdict without evidence.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Big fan of that fluff. I spent a fair bit of today reading through your blog. Enjoyed it! Lots of real good writing.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Thanks! I want to build the history up gradually, together with my musings on the theology of the Imperial Cult. I will be tackling sex at some point, and will doubtless upset everyone :)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Just made another blog post, with some more painted models in it, and a bunch of history about recruitment in my Order!

http://opheliaviidustzone.blogspot.com/2016/10/postulants-novices-of-order-of-our.html

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
They're graduates, or what? :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Blog post explains it, but Pedagogues Militant - the teachers of the Postulants. The mortarboard cap was, until the post-War period, worn by schoolteachers - that is where most people would have seen it; as a symbol of being a teacher rather than a graduate generally.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
It works really well on these models. And I love the Sisters of Sigmar conversions. :eusa_clap:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Latest model!

She is a Machaenix Canonical, the Sororitas equivalent of an Engineseer or Techmarine. I have more information and pictures on my blog http://opheliaviidustzone.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-machaenices-canonical-of-order-of.html (as well as many other posts and writing - so, be sure to check that out if you are interested in Sisters!)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
An interesting thread. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
I like seeing female techpriests/enginseers. Really fills in the world a bit.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
An interesting thread. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Thanks, GP!

I like seeing female techpriests/enginseers. Really fills in the world a bit.

Well, I think female techpriests would be a bit like female Marines - the process to turn you into one would eradicate any secondary (and perhaps primary . . .) sexual characteristics. The model above is only "female" because she has breasts; below her waist, she is just a tangle of mechanical tentacles.

Wargames Exclusive has some really nice models - lovely details and very fine casting. But they are all built like a Playboy bunny - I painted her cleavage black so it looked like a bodysuit, but I think it is supposed to be naked flesh. Other models are completely barechested :( A bit fanservicey, you know?

Anyway - she isn't, strictly speaking, a techpriest or engineseer. She is to the Sororitas what the Techmarines are to the Astartes; a member of both the Order's cult and the Cult Mechanicum . . . although how that circle is squared is a mystery!

Perhaps this is connected to the mysterious figure known as the Crystal Lady, Verity the Seraph, the Six-Winged Serpent, She Who Walked With The Emperor and sacrificed by self-entombing within the Crystal Caverns of Ophelia VII, and who was only released at the dawn of the Time of Ending when she gathered her Order around her?

Perhaps all will be explained when I have decided on the fluff . . .

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
I spent an hour or so writing up the first chapter of "The Tale of Verity" - the story of the lowly tech-priestess who would become the Crystal Lady.

At least, that is what the Order believes . . . Someone from the Ordos Dialogus should take a look at those runes on her crystalline serpent's tail . . .

http://opheliaviidustzone.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-tale-of-verity-pt-i-treaty-of-mars.html

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
I think that's the first female Techpriest mini, I ever saw. There were some artworks, but never a mini. It's great!

Gneisenau

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
She is from Wargames Exclusive, and they have several - she is actually a "Heresy Hunter Mechanicum" not a Tech-priestess, but it's the same idea. She is the most modestly-dressed of them all - she has "ultimate cleavage" (I painted it back to look like a bodysuit or something) but the Tech-priestesses are straight-up bare chested.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
New post on my blog - some thoughts on why the Sisters dress like they do. http://opheliaviidustzone.blogspot.com/2016/12/on-hyper-femininity-sexism.html

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Are you trying to tell me that the Sisters aren't already wearing the finest combat outfits basic common sense would suggest?

Well that's just crazy talk.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Actually, I think I am saying they ARE wearing the finest (and most appropriate) outfits advanced common sense would suggest.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Immediately after posting I did indeed go and read your post. I like the defence, and retract my silly joke.

Although perhaps it could add extra damage to space marines if they stomped around in super heels. Let them just start kicking Tyranids and Tau to death.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
"Tootsie" cross-dressing Space Marines. That's where it's at.