home

Author Topic: Is every1 still playing 8th ed?  (Read 25687 times)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Is every1 still playing 8th ed?
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »
Just checking guys,

are people still playing 8th ?

Im in army build mode, but planning a game soon
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
Re: Is every1 still playing 8th ed?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
It's kings of war for me, but depending on your region there might still be an active 8th edition community, but usually many active community are probably eitheir converting to KoW or for those that prefer the original Warhammer style switching to the 9th age as it is something like a 8.5th edition.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
In my campaign, started before the official death of 8th, we're still using 8th. But I can't help you with competitive army list building as we use unofficial lists and armies based on fluff, not gameplay effectiveness.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »
My local group has fully switched to The 9th Age. There are some guys picking up Age of Sigmar now that it has rules for playing games, but I'm staying away. I have no interest in that "game".
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 01:59:50 PM »
I don't think there's much juice left in 8th ed. My local gaming club has switched completely to 9th Age. I've read others have gone for KoW, and there's a few weirdos who actually play AoS  :engel:
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Duinila

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
I only briefly played 8th Edition, having given up once I saw others actually play it, seemingly it being all about who unleashes their death spell first. These I honestly just play AoS, with a small beastmen force for 9th Edition, that one seemingly being more balanced

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
I alternate between a bunch. Lots of 8th with the people who don't want to switch. lot's of AoS cause it's popular here. A fair bit of kings of war and frostgrave has started.

Only thing we don't really play is 9th.

Offline Duinila

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
Only thing we don't really play is 9th.

If you have a chance, grab a buddy who is interested and try it out. Everyone I know who played 8th and now plays 9th says that it is a lot better and while I only played a bit, I too find it better~

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »
What's 9 th age ???? I've been painting lol
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline grimgorgoroth

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »
All of my group now plays 9th Age.
We are having a 20 man tournament in September.
A few play King of War but they are the least.
None play AoS

mr chumley warner, write in Google; The 9th Age, and there you go  :icon_razz:

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:52:54 PM »
Just read the rules , well skim read , it's like 8th but clearer !!

Just skim read Empire.... HAHA Looks like Mortars , Greatswords, Swordsmen and Crazies are back on the menu boys !!

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »
Arg it's all too much , i feel like ive been smacked round the face with a rubber fish,

can any1 give me a brief summary of main comments , main benefits of this 9th ed?

QUick examination leads me to conclude small tweaks, like ASF is now called  Lightning Reflexes, +1 to hit ,,,,,,

Army lists look the same, but with points tweaked, and other small tweaks ,

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:28:52 PM »

I almost never play, but I'm splitting between new and old -- Kings of War and some... :Ohmy: WFB 3rd in a few weeks.

My two old gaming groups have switched -- KoW for the older, game-at-home club, and 9th Age for the in-store, more tournament/competitive group.

Offline grimgorgoroth

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:31:33 PM »
Arg it's all too much , i feel like ive been smacked round the face with a rubber fish,

can any1 give me a brief summary of main comments , main benefits of this 9th ed?

QUick examination leads me to conclude small tweaks, like ASF is now called  Lightning Reflexes, +1 to hit ,,,,,,

Army lists look the same, but with points tweaked, and other small tweaks ,

Most of us here have moved to 9th Age. And we all are very happy.

We are a community of Wargames Fantasy which has been constantly playing for around three years. I, myself have been playing since 5th and I enjoyed 8th very much while it was alive.
We play at a Cultural Center that me and a mate run. We saw how our favorite game fell to pieces with age of Sigmar.
We thought we were in turmoil and that soon they (GW) would change the game and go back to what it really was: square bases, ranks and flanks. But, we were drifting aimlessly, like a surviving hero but with no army, wandering around and watching other games, other systems.

But anyway, I still remember when our friend Paul took the ninth age book printed explaining that
this could be our future. It’s the same as warhammer but as if it were the 9th edition that GW never did.

Much debate followed as a community, some reluctantly accepted the challenge to test the new system. Most of us loved it after one game.   

Always bearing of what was most important: Brotherhood and a game of gentlemen that has been maintained.
Helping, rectifying errors, holding tournaments, even lending miniatures to the other player.

All worth it with a cold beer with your mates after (sometimes during LOL) the game to discuss the match ...

This wonderful game called IX age.
Yes, it feel like a lot at first with all the small changes but once you have a few games under your belt it'll be all good.
Also check out some the youtube players such as Chihammer warhammer fantasy and Oncebitten 360 their battle reports are fun to watch

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
Main benefits of 9th age is something you've already said. It's cleaner. All special rules are listed in the big rule book, and anything that's army specific is limited to one or two things, which usually take the form of special rules already in the big rule book. Empire is pretty strong, though all the tournament players seem to be stuck in 8th edition, fielding two blocks of flagellants and no support units, making an MSU grindy army ideal for countering them. The Support Unit rules are amazing. Imperial Guard start with hand weapon shields, so old Reiksguard Knights on Foot are back and with parry and distracto-wagon they're better than ever.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 06:42:47 AM »
During my sleep i think my mind debated High Elves, ok so 9th sees ASF gone, but with Initiative = 5, it's likely you will be striking first quite often, with the new lightning reflex + 1 to hit,,, suddenly i an epiphany , lol, it's even better than just ASF.

It's always hit , lol

Tell me more revellers , tell me of 9th

My time is limited , every minute accounyted for , with parenting, DIY, painting , work and bench press >))))

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »
Looking at the local hobby and tournaments, this is what I'm seeing in Helsinki/Finland:

8th ed: 0 players
T9A: about 20 players (more who use it at home)
AoS: about 2 players (more who play it with their kids)
KoW: about 5 players (all of who also play T9A)
Oldhammer: about 10 interested, but it's more about the figures than gaming, it seems

Overall, Fantasy Battles has gone back a lot since the early 2010's and is a bit split atm. But if T9A continues as strong as for the past year, it will become the new standard. However, it gathers the old blood. I don't know if anyone has started playing the game as their first Fantasy Battles game/edition.

There might be an AoS scene around the local GW shop. Haven't checked it for a year.

Higher up the north, KoW seems to have proportionally more support.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »
8th edition with a couple of house rules taken from 9th age. I love my books/cards too much to do a complete switch :)
cheers,
Lee

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 11:04:08 AM »
My area, Rochester NY, is still playing 8th. We still do events, campaign, and get together for pickup games. All 8th. It's the only thing that's still Warhammer Fantasy.

EEFL!
EEFL.freeforums.net
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
I prefer 6th edition for many reasons, so I'm building little warbands, border patrols and 1000 points armies for that edition. :biggriin:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 08:48:07 PM »
I was able to keep playing 8th until very recently. A couple weeks ago I had my first 9th Age game and will have to go that way if I want to play at all around here. I'll live, it is an okay ruleset - not too far removed from my beloved 8th edition.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
I prefer 6th edition for many reasons,

So do I. I would live to go back to 6th.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 12:20:13 AM »
So do I. I would live to go back to 6th.

Love. Live. Love life. Lively love (!) Lovely life. It's all much of a muchness.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Duinila

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
What was 6th Editin like? I'm a wee player who hasn't been around that long?   :Ohmy:

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
Dang fellas!  I've been away too long!  Just starting to get back into the swing of things. 

8th edition has certainly held my heart and is probably what I'll stick with, but I'm willing to try out 9th since it looks good and hey - the ruleset is free!