home

Author Topic: Is every1 still playing 8th ed?  (Read 25507 times)

Offline KevinC

• Members
Re: Is every1 still playing 8th ed?
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 04:03:56 AM »
- In previous editions, a good player could completely abuse the power of skirmishers and fast cav. If fact you could make an all fast cav or skirmisher army, dash around your enemies to avoid all combat, and defeat your opponent soundly. Meanwhile the game was no fun at all.

Never saw this happen. In fact how could you make an all skirmisher army? Lizardmen on Skinks? Skaven on Night/Gutter Runners? Seems a bit far fetched to me.

------------KevinC: I have no interested in explaining it, but I'm shocked you're not familiar with this if you played 6th. But it just might be how/where you play, I've played with a wide range of people including, campaigns, GTs, and so on.

I would concede, if you play 6th edition as a gentlemen's game it is really good. But beware the competitive players....

- 6/7th edition the player could build their lists to determine how many magic dice they could get each phase. 8th might have some big spells, but the Winds of Magic are random, and armies are suppose to be larger. If you want to dominate your enemies with magic, play 6th and 7th edition, you can have your mighty magic phase every turn and crush your opponent without getting into combat!

No, sorry but just... no. I've played a couple of battles against HE's in 8th. There was nothing, NOTHING, I could do to stop his magic phase, and I had Wizards and Warrior Priests in every Lord/Hero slot. Meanwhile in 6th I could block magic a lot easier and do not worry about shit like the Purple Sun of Xereus. Even the infamous Pit of Shades was toned down in 6th. That was because of game balance. 6th edition forced you to combine magic with might. In 8th you could just magic your opponent to death with most armies, and there was nothing he could do.

--------KevinC: Forget everything that happened to you by the HEs. Just do the math - the winds of magic in 8th are random. In 6th they are stacked, the player designs his power dice during army list creation. Magic was extremely powerful in 6th and 7th edition. And magic dominating armies were really insane, and really common. The game design also made if much more difficult to make a comeback.

- Speaking of magic, if you played Vampire Counts and also had half a brain, you might lose to bad luck about once everyone ten games. With the power of magic, fear, and raise the dead, Undead armies were all but unbeatable.

Vampire Counts magic in 8th edition is obscenely hard. Then again Vampires, and Undead in general, always had one of the strongest magic phases in every edition of WFB.

------KevinC: Are you sure you've played 6th edition? Back in 6th and 7th, when I had to play Vampires, I new it was a completely uphill battle - my chances of winning were low, merely by army list design. They were completely overpowered and if a general with half a brain played them - they could not lose. Come on, someone out there has to know what I'm talking about here.

When I play Undead in 8th, it's no big deal, they are just another army. In 6/7, I'd really not even want to play against them.

- More on magic, actually with being able to stack your power dice, the big spells in 6th were devastating. I remember Orcs & Goblins players never took a proper Warboss to lead their armies because the Shaman Lord was insane! The Foot of Gork with the double dohus or the reroll staff made Orcs pretty gross. You could destroy entire armies with that combo. You can even go back to at least one 6th edition battle report in WD where this happens. On the tournament scene is was a regular sight.

It gave low magic armies a decent chance of casting spells, and breaking strong anti-magic resistance, like that of the Dwarves. Some armies in 8th don't need the stacking, beacuse they're so strong in magic, that it'll always work for them, or almost always.

- 6th edition saw the rise of the Tzeentch flying circus, perhaps the greatest force to blast your enemies away and avoid combat. Sound like fun ?

Almost as fun as the Doomfire Warlock spam for DE's and White Lions with Banner of the World Dragon for HE's in 8th. Don't even get me started on a block of Phoenix Guard with an Archamge inside. Fun times.

--------KevinC: I'm not saying there are not some hard combos in 8th, but that's not want I'm talking about. The reason 8th is better is because the whole design of the system is geared to more fun for both players. If I bring my hordes of goblins, your eagles or scouts are not going to march block my whole army the entire game while you shoot and blast me with magic. You're not going to get the exact number of power dice you want each magic phase. You're not going to be able to make "no combat," or "no blocks of troops," armies in 8th AND be able to a crush your opponent.

In 8th, If I bring a fluffy army design and you can bring filth, and I can still soundly beat you. That's not how 6/7 editions worked.

When I look back at all the GTs I've been to during the various editions, it was 6 and 7 where players where able to abuse the base rules to make abusive, OTT armies. 8th stopped most of that.

Find a hardcore tournament player and ask them why they don't like 8th (because I'm sure they don't) - if you have a honest discussion about it, it's going to be stuff like random charge moves, random winds of magic, etc that they don't like. Why? Why are those things so bad? Answer: because it's much harder to manipulate and abuse. 

- The Skink skirmish army, run circles around your enemy shooting them with poison missiles while your Slann blast them with magic. Avoid combat and win!

Like I've said before, in every edition you can create a bullshit roster. Sort of like 40K's 7th edition Space Marines Skyhammer/Raptor Wing Combo with an Iron Hands Chapter Master on a bike.

----------------True, but it's much harder to do in 8th. I believe you may not have been exposed to the abuses of 6th/7th edition.

- Skaven were also totally insane in 6th edition, heavy shooting army backed by huge units of cheap infantry. Warp-lightening, magic, and remember the Rattling Guns when they hit auto? Skaven were probably the hardest army in 6th, along with Vampires.

Just like VC's, Rats were always good in WFB, that's nothing new. Also all those things that you've mentioned are exactly as deadly in 8th. And in 8th they have even more stuff.

---------Nah, although Skaven and Vampires are good in 8th. Not scared of them, they are just another army, nothing insane like they use to be.

- Storm of Chaos, while a totally awesome supplement and campaign, the armies were super hard in there. The Daemon Legions list was gross.

I agree in 100%. However for me, it was the Sea Patrol with its free round of shooting and the dwarven Slayer army that could win, even when they lost, that really took the cake. However, if I remember correctly, you had to ask your opponent for permission to use those armies in the first place.

- March blocking, which made a lot of the above armies successful, was nothing but an extremely frustrating part of the game that players used to make magic/shooty armies work really well. Back then if an enemy model was with 8", you were march blocked automatically and could not march. Obviously used to slow down armies while they were blasted by magic and missiles.

Yes, that was irritating. I think that Dwarves could negate this, I think, to some extent, but I could be wrong.

- People constantly complained that High Elves and Dark Elves were weak and 'sucked' and so you never saw them.

Weak? No. Most armies were balanced. Except for Skaven, VC's and Chaos Warriors, they were evenly matched. Also look what happened to Elves in later editions. Army wide ASF, even on basic units. That's a bad comedy.

---------KevinC: No offense, but it's hard for me to believe you have a good amount of experience playing 6th. There was a whole movement to alter the Dark Elf book, which GW eventually did with an errata. It was common knowledge that Dark Elves and High Elves were far under par. Go back to various message boards and do a searches for 2001-2003 (?) on these topics. And you'll see.

- Tournaments were made of: Skaven, Vampires, Lizards, Daemon Legions.

Never played those. Then again, every tournament list is usually tailored heavily and made from the best units possible, so that's not exactly strange. I like casual gaming. Winning for win's sake, or to make myself feel better, was never my style, so I avoid tournaments and play casual games with my friends. It's about fun, not about who has the biggest, plastic or finecast d**k after all.

----------KevinC: Well here is the disconnect. I figured. I agree with your style of play, however I use to always go to several huge GTs every year, but mainly because they were a whole weekend of playing WFB. If you went to tournaments you'd see how bad 6th edition was abused.

- 6th edition army books had hardly no fluff, and dropped a lot of classic units: Steams Tanks, War Wagons, Forest Goblins, Spider-Riders, all the classic special characters, etc.

Nope. Not really. Like Bartolo Miachevelia said, new units were presented in WD's (which was goddamn cool) and they even introduced heroes, who were often absurdly strong AND priced (Karl Franz for 999 points, if I recall correctly). Fluff was plentiful, supplemented by BL books and novels, and even 2nd edition WFRP was connected to the 6th edition WFB (check out the stats for White Wolves cavalry hammer in the Old World Armoury, it has the exact same rules, as those in the Empire Armybook). Not to mention, the fluff for 6th was much more "down to earth", while the fluff of 8th edition had to be epic and over the top, because GW desperately wanted Fantasy to be like 40K.

---------KevinC: It's not a debate. The 4/5 edition army books were tomes of background. GW as company policy decided to take most of the fluff out of 6th edition army books and 40K 3rd edition army books. That's a fact, and that's what I'm talking about. So if you were a 4/5 ed. player, like I was, when 6th edition army books came out, it was like "what happened to everything?" 7th edition started to bring a lot of that stuff back, which I was delighted by.
"These princes try to tell me how to wage war, and seek to advise me on how best to rule my people. They are dolts and dullards, and it is a wonder that with such cretinous commanders your armies ever held against mine."
– Malekith, Phoenix King of Ulthuan

Offline Army of Hochland

• Members
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »
- In previous editions, a good player could completely abuse the power of skirmishers and fast cav. If fact you could make an all fast cav or skirmisher army, dash around your enemies to avoid all combat, and defeat your opponent soundly. Meanwhile the game was no fun at all.

Never saw this happen. In fact how could you make an all skirmisher army? Lizardmen on Skinks? Skaven on Night/Gutter Runners? Seems a bit far fetched to me.

Beastmen in 6th, then Wood Elves, and later Dark Elves, if you never saw this happen then you were lucky. I played a number of games against Wood Elves in 6th and 7th and they were always frustrating experiences since you could never pin them down.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »

The one thing you had in 6th that was lost/weakened was the 25pt Dispel Scroll.
That made a big difference to the magic effect.

As an Empire player I used to go fairly "magic-lite" but always had some dispel scrolls up my sleeve, or in a pouch.  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2017, 11:59:11 AM »
@KevinC: I never played competitively in my life. In fact the first, "serious" campaign I've played last year, was for 40K and I didn't liked the experience. Suddendly everyone brought so much cheese to the table that it wasn't funny anymore and seriously shown just how much OP certain codexes/builds really are.

I know that what you said is true, in certain points. Every edition had its ups and downs, its high and low points. It's just a matter of prefference. I like 6th for its simplicity, lack of obvious powerbuilds, toned down magic, low-fantasy feeling and synchronicity with other Warhammer Fantasy products of that era. You like 8th for different reasons - I get that and I respect that. To each his own, I guess. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
My local group has fully switched to The 9th Age. There are some guys picking up Age of Sigmar now that it has rules for playing games, but I'm staying away. I have no interest in that "game".
I don't know anyone in my FLGS actively playing AoS, but I never will; I'll try any ruleset that is free, cheap, or that I can borrow; personally, I prefer ones more like WHFB, such as KoW or, for historical, War & Conquest.

In case you are not aware, Mantic released an historical version of Lings of War, and while the way you build an army is different, they use the same core rules so you can even fight a fantasy army with a historical one if you want.

Back to the original Kings of War, you can already try it for free, they have the rules available as a free PDF.

With the free PDF, you are missing :
- fluff and pictures
- the list of magic artefacts(*)
- the free army lists(*) are sample list that are fully playable, but don't include all the units available in the printed rule book
- the full rulebook has 6 scenarios(**), while the free PDF only give the rules for the most basic one : Kill! (get points for kililng units)

Outside of that, they are the complete rules for the game

(*) there is a free and very good army list editor at http://kow2.easyarmy.com/ that include all units and options from both the core rules and the supplements (including artefacts and unique heroes), and when switching to "View" or "PDF" you get all special rules printed at the bottom of the list (incluing the artefacts) so you can try them even without buying the book (but it book is cheap so if you try and like the game you will probably end buying it anyway)

They also made a version for the historical Kings of War : http://kowh.easyarmy.com

(**)note that the tournament tweaks (sort of a soft errata compiled by the official Rule Comitee, designed for tournaments but used by most players) also introduced 2 new free scenarios (search for the PDF of the Clash of Kings tournament, it includes those)

Offline Walt von Ark

• Members
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
i started playing in the end of 5th, loved 6th edition. Even though i only played dark elves. :ph34r:
luckely my main oppponent was high elves.
Anyhoo all editions have its merits and flaws, much of it mentioned above.

Ill keep playing 8th edition with my mates, Houseruling as we go, but we think its quite ballanced and had a few good fixes like random charges and stepup.

But then again Psychology should be bigger factor again, ASF as army wide rules needs to go, and why the hell shouldnt i be able to break steadfast with a large heavy cavalry unit in the flank and to name a few things.

That being said what i dont get is people saying 6th edition was light on magic. I agree with Kevin on this
I played against armies generating 12-16 pd per magicphase.(bloody VC but possble with other armies aswell). and  you stood no change if you didnt make sure that your army had enough spellcasters to counter this.
Sure, you got these terrible spells now, but i havent been hit with dwellers below , ever.
And the times magic won the game for me are few. What happened more often was that I invested quite some points in magic and you would roll crap on the winds of magic.   

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »
I agree about magic, 8th edition was the worse system, except for all other warhammer editions !

Joking, from memory 5th edition magic was not completly unlike the 8th edition, except that you replaced the dice roll with a deck of "winds of magic" cards.

I don't remember how many cards you drew for the deck, it was probably based on the number of wizards however, in which case it probably allowed for some abuses, but what  I remember using seemed more balanced that the 6/7th edition system.

8th edition had the advantage of adding a notion of disminishing returns to taking lots of wizards, making viable to only take one or maybe two only, a great imprvement from 7th edition, but it also came with taking at least one wizard be strongly advised if you didn't want to see the magic dice "wasted", plus the wizard level being added to the roll made having a level 4 even more important

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »
As has been pointed out before, one has to distinguish between the BRB and the Army Books. The magic system of the 6th and 7th BRB was as such much more balanced than that of the 8th. However, that balance was unhinged by some of the ABs.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Walt von Ark

• Members
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
Sorry but i fail te see how it was more ballanced? "If you dont take the same amount of wizards as me, you re screwed" can be counted as ballanced ofcourse.

It wasn't really down to te ABs IMO, some probably made it worse. But by taking a l4 and 2l2 you had 10pd every turn.  (without taking pd boosting items in account)  And you really had to counter that with enough spellcasters of your own, being down 4-6 dice every turn was very painfull indeed. I agree there is a big difference between the spells now and then. But back then you didnt want a black horror or a comet of casandra coming through either. Especially not more then once.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
Most importantly, as you acknowledge,  the BRB spells were not overpowered. [Note that the Comet of Casandora was a RiP spell, which under the old rules meant that the spell was ended if the Wizard attempted to cast a new spell, left the table or was slain. So, as long as the Comet was up, the Wizard could not cast a spell without terminating the Comet.] In addition, to cast a spell, wizards could use a maximum of PD equal to their level +1. In principle, the maximum number of dice a wizard could use was 5 per spell. The level was not added to the casting result. In the 7th edition, a wizard could only use the dice he himself generated and those of the common pool. To take your example, you may have had 10 PD a turn, but the lvl 4 could only use 6 of those.

To add: the spell selection was indeed random - you could not optimise the spell selection between various wizards.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:49:29 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
However, that balance was unhinged by some of the ABs.

"some"? was there a AB lore that didn't unhinge? O&G I guess, admittedly my memory is fuzzy and biased by the horrible things endless processions of skaven, chaos and undead armies did to me.

Another thing to consider is that 6/7 lores had many more movement spells and as far as I remember also 'magical move then charge' spells whereas 8th does not. The oh-so-thoughtful 'tactic' of moving your unit into the flank vector of the enemy during movement, then magically charge in was quite common (I also remember a tomb king item allowing a free reform for extra nimbleness) This is coupled with the ability to reliably produce lots of power dice, i.e. relative ease to pull it off.

My favorite metaphor:
6/7 is like a car race. You can pretty much look at the car and its setup and you know who will win unless the drive makes a major mistake. Drivers mostly need to push the pedals and pull the steering wheel at precisely the right moment and the car will stay on the optimal line and follow the course. Every race is pretty much the same, minor differences in the courses but really just push the same pedals and you'll be fine.

8 is like a horse race...on untamed broncos. Riders need to mitigate the bucking while steering their horse towards the finish line without much control about how fast the horse goes. Sometimes the horse will spin in a crazy way and rider skills help to put it back on track. Races are messy and unpredictable affairs. Sometimes the better rider will have an especially unruly horse and lose the race.

Some people like cars, some people like horses. :::cheers:::

The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »
Another part of the previous editions that I don't miss, is the horrible autobreak from fear when being outnumbered. That one was just bonkers.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2017, 02:15:29 AM »
Another thing to consider is that 6/7 lores had many more movement spells and as far as I remember also 'magical move then charge' spells whereas 8th does not. The oh-so-thoughtful 'tactic' of moving your unit into the flank vector of the enemy during movement, then magically charge in was quite common (I also remember a tomb king item allowing a free reform for extra nimbleness) This is coupled with the ability to reliably produce lots of power dice, i.e. relative ease to pull it off.

But this very issue illustrates one of the key problems the 8th created. Magic movement spells were indeed a problem but rather than address them by prohibiting charge moves they removed almost all of them and offered no spells that hinder enemy movement. The 8th Ed game design really failed here and made the game 85% about the whole melee combat nexus.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
The fact that combat only usually lasted one turn was what made 6-7th worse in my book. Nothing like building a nice deep infantry unit, put a character there maybe and then get steamrolled by 6 knights. It was fun to use tactics and all to avoid that situation but in 8th you can just take 30 swordsmen with a Witchhunter and fight a bit! Even if you lose in the end, you still at least get to see them attack  :icon_rolleyes:
cheers,
Lee

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
Step up by itself does not make 8th ed the stronger edition. However it was a much needed rule.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »
Its that and steadfast.

Also the magic setups. In 6th its either a caddy or 4+2+2+2. Why wouldn't it when every next level of magic was a better investment than the previous? I was only really a question of whether you needed a BSB more than the third level 2. Most of the time the answer was no as the enemy should never reach you, blown away by your gunline. Shooting armies were just terrible back then - I took a SAD army once myself, just to try and counter my friends Dwarf artillery range.

8th has its problems, probably went too far in a number of areas. But the core rules were more to my liking - they cut casual lists more slack.
cheers,
Lee

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2017, 04:42:28 AM »
Its that and steadfast.

Also the magic setups. In 6th its either a caddy or 4+2+2+2. Why wouldn't it when every next level of magic was a better investment than the previous? I was only really a question of whether you needed a BSB more than the third level 2. Most of the time the answer was no as the enemy should never reach you, blown away by your gunline. Shooting armies were just terrible back then - I took a SAD army once myself, just to try and counter my friends Dwarf artillery range.

8th has its problems, probably went too far in a number of areas. But the core rules were more to my liking - they cut casual lists more slack.

--------Exactly!!! And if a anyone here does not know what a SAD army is, then they are not qualified to comment.
"These princes try to tell me how to wage war, and seek to advise me on how best to rule my people. They are dolts and dullards, and it is a wonder that with such cretinous commanders your armies ever held against mine."

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2017, 04:59:55 AM »

Quality is more important of quantity. Steam Tanks had rules in Warhammer Chronicles and they included many variants of it (you could order bitz to build them from Mail Order) afterall Steam Tank had a new miniature in 6th ed, spider riders were at end of O&G army books, themed armies, together with spider swarms(thanks Sigmar Arachnaroks were only described in Lustria book and not common in all Warhammer World forests like in 8th), classic special characters with miniature had rules in GW website ,Warhammer Chronicles and White Dwarfs. Kislev had its online supplement, Dogs of War were playable and hireble for other armies and Ravening Hordes lists were pretty balanced.

--------------------Yes, I'm glad all that stuff happened, but if you played with groups that where into "official," "tournaments," and so on, you couldn't use stuff not in the army book or the back of the book stuff. For me, that greatly restricted play.

Also, it's not a question of quality vs. quantity. In fact, I know what happened. During 4/5 edition, players complained if an army book described a unit and GW did not create the miniatures. So GW actually listen to fans (for once) and so only included unit entries in 6th edition books that had up-to-date citadel miniatures. For an old school player like myself, if was devastating. Although I played many funs games during the 6th edition era, GW broke my heart with the exclusion of units and background text. I think they recognized these mistakes for 7th edition.

7th edition edition broke a lot with past, there're certaing things in Chaos fluff that existed since 3rd ed RoC volumes till Liber Chaotica(6th ed.) that were drastically changed . There was an interview to John Blanche in a old WD and it perfectly describe what Warhammer was supposed to be, article title was ''the Illustrated Man''.

----------This is not true. Fake news here. Many players thought the above regarding the 7th edition Daemon book because you could mix the four Chaos powers without penalties. However, many of the unit describes in the 7th edition Daemons of Chaos book came directly from the old 3rd edition hard cover Chaos books.

I think it's hard to explain but for me rules that convey the setting, atmosphere of the game are more important than the ones that balance it ( thats why i don't like magical terrain, effects described in end game spells) 8th edition lets you have a Demon Prince of Nurgle as general and a Tzeentch  aspiring champion as BsB, enough said.
That's why I'd take 6th edition over 8th also with   Bretonnia and Tzeentch Flying circus, the overpowered skavens, the cavalry winning over infantries...

--------There is more Chaos restriction regarding the powers of chaos than 6/7 editions. 8th edition brought back Khorne v. Slaanesh hatred, and Nurgle v. Tzeentch hatred for example. And in any event, true WFB players won't do things like mix Khorne and Slaanesh, etc.

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »
----------This is not true. Fake news here. Many players thought the above regarding the 7th edition Daemon book because you could mix the four Chaos powers without penalties. However, many of the unit describes in the 7th edition Daemons of Chaos book came directly from the old 3rd edition hard cover Chaos books.

--------There is more Chaos restriction regarding the powers of chaos than 6/7 editions. 8th edition brought back Khorne v. Slaanesh hatred, and Nurgle v. Tzeentch hatred for example. And in any event, true WFB players won't do things like mix Khorne and Slaanesh, etc.
Not fake news, reading Jervis  Johnson's Standard Bearer when DoC army book came out(7th ed) it's clearly stated that they want to  bring the different chaos ''closer'' making them work more like Ancient Greek ones.
In 6th ed you could mix the different marks only if your general was undivided(as per rules of Hordes of Chaos book). 6th edition also had limits like 0-1 for some units or some depending on numbers of others( like skaven clan rats).
Not forgetting that 7th ed O&G armybook had big chronologic mistakes inside it (for example the piece about Gorbad siege).
And not talking about things like Storm of Magic! Hey I'm a high elf noble let's do a pact with demons... -.-''

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2017, 01:28:05 AM »
And in any event, true WFB players won't do things like mix Khorne and Slaanesh, etc.

This point invalidates a bunch of your other ones. No true player would take a SAD. Or a tzeentch flying circus. Or an empire gunline.
Or, in your example, a mixed god Demon army. But they did, because the rules allowed them to. Or they did, primarily in WAAC environments, which it sounds like what you play in. Which is fine. But not everyone did. Therefore, 8th suits you better. It doesn't suit everyone, and people have their preferences. People have opinions, and you don't need to try and browbeat them into submission.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
I have to correct my previous post.

After speaking with the manager of the main store in Barcelona, seems 9th Age is not wealthy as I thought. This system has lost much support over the past few months.
Certainly, all tournements there are here use 9th Age rules, but they have less participation and they are few in number in comparison of the previous year. Basically, seems that the only ones who plays 9th Age are competitive players, the only ones who can follow the continuos changes on the rulebook. This means new players don't want to enter on this system because the will be compelled to play as them.

I also ask him about other fanmade rulebooks: Manuscritos de Nuth Reload, Warhammer Reforged, Warhammer 8.5... Nobody play it.

Another curious thing is that Age of Sigmar neither grow up. Few people play it a year ago, and the same few people play it now.

Could be interesting to make a quiz in the forum, about the system do you play, don't you thing?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
So basically its all broken.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
Seems like it, Warlord  :biggriin:

Anyway - I'm off to play a heavy house-rules game of 8th edition now. In the end thats what counts - playing games and having fun, no matter what rules you use  :happy:
cheers,
Lee

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
Not fake news, reading Jervis  Johnson's Standard Bearer when DoC army book came out(7th ed) it's clearly stated that they want to  bring the different chaos ''closer'' making them work more like Ancient Greek ones.
In 6th ed you could mix the different marks only if your general was undivided(as per rules of Hordes of Chaos book). 6th edition also had limits like 0-1 for some units or some depending on numbers of others( like skaven clan rats).
Not forgetting that 7th ed O&G armybook had big chronologic mistakes inside it (for example the piece about Gorbad siege).
And not talking about things like Storm of Magic! Hey I'm a high elf noble let's do a pact with demons... -.-''

----------I'm a huge fan of the Hordes of Chaos book actually! Regarding Chaos though, it was never in the lore that the Chaos factions never work with each other under any circumstance. 8th edition brought back the old rivalries (khorne v. slaanesh; Nurgle v. Tzeentch), which I was really glad about.

For the record I'm fine with how people want to build their army. But I prefer themed armies.

What's out of place about Gorbad's siege....never caught that ?

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »
And in any event, true WFB players won't do things like mix Khorne and Slaanesh, etc.

This point invalidates a bunch of your other ones. No true player would take a SAD. Or a tzeentch flying circus. Or an empire gunline.
Or, in your example, a mixed god Demon army. But they did, because the rules allowed them to. Or they did, primarily in WAAC environments, which it sounds like what you play in. Which is fine. But not everyone did. Therefore, 8th suits you better. It doesn't suit everyone, and people have their preferences. People have opinions, and you don't need to try and browbeat them into submission.

-----------I'm not sure of your reasoning. I don't like 6th edition v. 8th because of how easily the rules are abused, not because of various themed armies. For example, I think the Tzeentch Flying Circus is a very cool themed army, just it's not a lot of fun to play against.

I'm not trying to browbeat anyone, and I'm completely respectful of whatever people want to play. In fact if everyone on this forum completely hates 8th edition, is doesn't bother me. I'm merely expressing my annoyance when people praise 6th edition like it was the ultimate Warhammer.

At the end of the day, I've always bought the whole "Warhammer is a gentlemen's game." And if you play with the right gentlemen, all editions are excellent games.