home

Author Topic: Incoming Inquisition Inquiry  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Incoming Inquisition Inquiry
« on: October 07, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
I would appreciate your assistance with two questions about the current rules for playing Inquisition. My knowledge is probably dated, and the answer will determine whether I buy the Codex.

1) Are there any special rules for Ordo Xenos Inquisitors, or are the rules generic and the same across the orders?

2) Can I still play Inquisition troops as allied forces with Imperial Guard, and what are the force organization rules for that? Specifically, I want to have a HQ Inquisitor with either

a) a retinue of Veterans as henchmen (do they still come with HE lasguns and plate armor?), or
  b) a squad of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

Can that be done under the current rules?

Offline red shift

• Members
Re: Incoming Inquisition Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
There are certainly no inquisitors in the new deathwatch book. Grey knights used to have them but had a fairly recent codex and I would be unsurprised if they were removed. I'm not aware of any current rules for them presumably because gw don't currently make models for them. You could probably represent them e well with the militarum tempestus book

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »
There are certainly no inquisitors in the new deathwatch book.

Thank you, that's very helpful already.

Anybody else? There is an Inquisition Codex - should I get this one or the Militarum Tempestus one?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 09:07:13 PM »
I only know the Guard codex, but you could probably make an interesting force with the Scions codex. A couple of platoons of storm troopers would be good as an Inquisitors Retinue.

Or if you wanted a bit more flexibility Guard codex could give you access to stormtroopers, veterans and some basic meat shields. Inquisitors could probably find a good use for a lot of expendable meatshields while the more elite troopers get to the actual objective.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
Sounds good! :-)

I already have a Guard force (Veterans and Valkyries) and wanted to have an allied Ordo Xenos Inquisitor plus retinue / henchmen.

Under the old Ordo Malleus rules, you could add Inquisitors as allied contingents. And Inquisitorial Stormtroopers were much better than the regular Guard ones, insofar as you did not have to pay for the special rules (which I do not need). They were just BS4 with HE lasguns and plate armor.

I would like to use the Ordo Malleus rules to represent an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor - just a regular Lord Inquisitor without any psionic powers. But I don't know whether that's still an option.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 08:05:33 AM »
There is an Inquisition Codex - should I get this one or the Militarum Tempestus one?
I've never used it, but I do have the Inquisition Codex, so I'll try and give a bit of a review.

There's three HQ options, one for each of the Ordos (plus rules for special characters Coteaz and Karamazov). Each has the same stat line (and dirt-cheap cost), but different equipment options;

- The Ordo Malleus Inquisitor brings Grey Knight toys like the Nemesis Hammer, daemonblade and psybolt ammo, as well as more standard things like plasma pistols, combo-weapons, and powerfist/powersword. Also he's the only one you can purchase Terminator armour for.
- The Ordo Xenos Inquisitor gets the needle pistol, conversion beamer, digital weapons and a couple of other options. He's mostly geared towards shootiness (but can still contribute to melee with his grenades and his Poisoned (+2), AP- Scythian Talon), while the Malleus Inquisitor is geared towards close combat. Comes with carapace armour or power armour.
- The Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor has the Psyocculum, Null Rod and Condemnor boltgun, making him very good at taking out Psykers. Otherwise he just has the normal options every inquisitor has- plasma pistol, combi-weapons, power sword/fist, thunder hammer etc.

Each of them can be upgraded to a lvl1 psyker with the Hammerhand or Psychic Communion power, or a roll on the Divination, Pyromancy or Telekinesis table.

As for troops, you only have one Elite unit to choose from, but it is extremely versatile; its unit size is 3-12 models, and you can select those models from twelve different types;

- Acolyte, the standard shooty guys who start with flak armour and lasguns, but can be given power armour and storm bolters (making them essentially T3 Deathwatch, if you like)
- Arco-Flagellant, the melee guy
- Crusaders, also melee guys but focused on defense
- Daemonhost, the get-a-different-power-every-turn guy
- Death cult assassins, fragile but with a 5++ save and two power swords each
- Jokaero, who have stupidly powerful ranged weapons (counts as lascannon, multi-melta or heavy flamer- your pick, and you can pick again each turn). Also they boost your unit's shootiness by rolling on a random table each turn.
- Ministorum Priests which can take a Ld test to boost your unit (while swinging an eviscerator)
- Mystic, whose only job is to help other units with their Deep Strike rolls
- Psyker; makes the unit a brotherhood of psykers, and gives them a psychic power
- Servitor; needs an inquisitor in the unit to be effective, but can take a free multi-melta or heavy bolter (or a plasma cannon for very low cost), or you can just keep them Sx2, AP1 servo-arms for melee combat.

You can take one or two HQ choices, and up to three Elites. Each unit can take a dedicated transport; a rhino, razorback, chimera, valkyrie, or land raider (standard/crusader/redeemer).

So in short;

1) The inquisitors have the same rules and stats, but different equipment options which alter their role significantly
2) Yes, the Inquisitor Codex inquisitors are battle-brothers with all other Imperial Codexes. The Inquisitorial detachment consists of 1-2 HQ, and 0-3 Elites
2a) No veterans, but you can use Acolytes with lasguns/bolters/storm bolters and flak/carapace/power armour. Sadly, they are BS3 rather than 4
2b) No stormtroopers, but see the list of troops I described. Acolytes can have hot-shot lasguns, by the way!

Hope that helps :)! Unfortunately I do not have the Tempestus Militarum list, so I can't comment on that one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:19:07 AM by Demonslayer »
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 09:25:24 PM »
Hope that helps :)!

Tremendously! Thank you very much for all that effort! :::cheers:::

Okay, so if I want to get Stormtroopers, I have to use Militarum Tempestus. Fair enough. (I need an excuse to paint my Kasrkin.)

Thank you again.