home

Author Topic: 9th Age 1.2.1 Empire 4500pts  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
9th Age 1.2.1 Empire 4500pts
« on: November 06, 2016, 07:28:54 PM »
Hello fellow generals!

Here's a list for the newest 9th Age edition. As you can see, most of the point costs have doubled. But check it out yourselves, the edition looks pretty good.

The new rules for mortar make it pretty awesome machine but the rocket battery is not so great. But here's a first try of the list:

:mellow:

Marshal: Star mace (crush attack), plate armour, Black Helm (fear, +1 armour save), Talisman of Supreme Shielding (4++)……350

Prelate: Blessed Armour of Frederic the Great (1+)……230

Wizard: 2 learned spells (Divination), Shielding Scroll……240

Marshal: BSB, Hardened shield, plate armour, Talisman of greater shielding (5++)……220

Artificer: Repeater gun……190

Characters: 1230

40 Heavy infantry: halberds, full command……500

20 Heavy infantry: spears, full command……240

6 Electoral cavalry: standard, great weapons, Gleaming Icon……246

16 Light infantry: handguns……244

Core: 1230

35 Imperial guard: great weapons, full command……780

5 Reiters: brace of pistols……180

Special: 960

20 Flagellants……380

Sunna’s fury: 380

Mortar……210

Volley gun……250

Imperial Rocketeers……250

Imperial Armoury: (including the Engineer) 900

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: 9th Age 1.2.1 Empire 4500pts
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »
I do believe in other recent threads the question of sanity amongst our members was in question. I think this qualifies. I would love to play a round of this size game at least once in my hobby career. Well done!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 09:24:28 PM »
Sorry to disapoint you but 4500 is the regular size in the newest version of 9th Age. The pretty much doubled every point cost so that there are no more 0,5 point spears etc.

I'm afraid I could not muster 4500 point army in normal terms.  :icon_cry: at least not yet!

Offline Edelwulf

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Looks nice! I intend to play something similar, instead of 3 warmachines I have 1 and added the steel tank, also I have to flaggelants and fewer imperial guard.
Have you played with it yet? I am curioys how this works.
I heard the rocketeets were sub optimal. maybe drop it and take two pistol militia units? They are nice mobile interference. And eith orders very effective in my experience. If you could find the poi ts gor great tactician on your marshall, I really recommend it!
Hammers, axes and blackpowder. Where are your gods?!

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »
I've played with similar lists but not with this one yet. Looking forward to!  :dry:

Two orders is nice but I only have two big units of infantry. So I can command them with my general and bsb (only one order per unit). And the spearmen don't need that much attention - they just protect the flanks of my infantry blocks. So I don't see a reason for a great tactician.

The rocket launcher seems to be pretty ...crappy. Which is a shame, I have a nice model for it with tea cups for the crew and all and would like to have it on the table! With the 250 points I'm going to upgrade the wizard to master and give him two more spells. And then I'll drop something to take 5 rangers to annoy my enemy.

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »
Here's an updated version of the list. If the tournament size will be 5000 I might add a strong unit of 15 knights and a mounted priest  :ph34r:

Marshal: Star mace (crush attack), plate armour, Black Helm (fear, +1 armour save), Talisman of Supreme Shielding (4++)……350

Wizard: Wizard master, 4 learned spells (Divination), Shielding Scroll……410

Marshal: BSB, Hardened shield, plate armour, Talisman of greater shielding (5++)……220

Artificer: Repeater gun……190

34 Imperial guard: great weapons, full command……760

5 Rangers……100

20 Flagellants……380

Mortar……210

Volley gun……250

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »
I'm playing against Chaos on Friday. I think the mortar is not worth its points, he has small but tough units. The cannon would be a nice thing to have on the list but in order to get that I need 50 points.

On option would be to drop the five huntsmen and use the extra points to add a couple of greatswords to the list. On the other hand they could cause some damage with bows to warhounds (there will be 2-3 units of them) or even to marauder horsemen (they're going to be immune to panic though). They would also be good diverters if I could use them. Maybe I'll keep them on the list just to learn to play with them. Too many times they're helped the enemy to overrun into my lines and caused panic to my troops  :icon_confused:

The easiest way to get 50 points would be to drop one Divination spell from the wizard. With three spells I'll definitely get the signature spell (makes my unit hard target and distracting, 6" bubble is 10+ to cast).

Then there are two spells that are good in killing monsters. There might be plenty of tough targets but unfortunately they'll most likely have armour. So the spell 5 (2D6/3D6 hits with ap (2) wounding on 4+) would be nice, but spell 1 (D3/D6 automatically wounding hits, no ward or regeneration saves) not so much.

Spell 2 (+2 WS, +2I) would be nice but I have greatswords.

Spell 3 (normal version: re-roll to hits in close combat and shooting / buffed version: 6" aura re-roll hits in close combat) is a nice spell both for my infantry and of course for the helblaster! Re-rolling to hit with helblaster sounds almost too good to be true! 

Spell 4 (stubborn and immune to psychology) is nice but again the greatswords are stubborn already and my smaller unit will be slaughtered pretty fast. The only unit that would benefit from this would be the spearmen - the enemy is not going to kill 20 of them in one turn and then I could flank them. But I suppose there are better spells in this game.

Spell 6 makes the life difficult for the enemy unit preventing it from moving/charging/casting spells/shooting with a roll of 6 on D6. Every character adds +1 to the throw. This would be a horrible spell against me with 3 characters in the Greatsword unit! But unless he has all his eggs in the same basket I'm not going to use this spell.

The attribute (use 3 dice to Ld test and remove the highest) is nice for my flagellants far away from the general to combat reform or pass frenzy tests. But otherwise I'm using the order to get my troops to stay in line.

So with possibly two spells with 6" aura combat buffs I'm going to place my two infantry blocks close to another and place my wizard in the spearmen unit behind them. This way I could really get some good stuff going in close combat. And the wizard would stay alive a bit longer than he usually does in my games.  :icon_rolleyes:

In my opinion all the Divination spells are pretty useful for empire (not the spell nr 6 so much) and I like them quite a lot. Maybe I should drop something else to be able to take four spells. For example the Shielding scroll (4+ ward against a spell) and Engineers repeater handgun. Hmm... :?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:30:38 PM by Lateksimajava »

Offline Edelwulf

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »
Divination is a great lore gor EoS. Low casting values d great at supporting our  (in general) mediocre units.
The attribute is even better is it says you add 1d6 to your ld check and loose the highest die. But this could mean it would stack with the order that also does this! Leadership checks on 4d6 and pick the lowest two results? Yes please.
I think I will run divination to, instead of 1 prelate (I first had two).
You said you would want to Exchange your mortar for a cannon, b maybe the steamtank is worth considdering?
If you drop a few light infantry, huntsmen and the master wizard upgrade you could just squeeze it in. Then you have a cannon and a big chunck of metal that can lock down one of those elite blocks.
Hammers, axes and blackpowder. Where are your gods?!

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »
Thanks!

I'm afraid the attribute does not stack. Not sure thoug. Would be pretty nice!

The tank is good in many cases especially if the opponent is worrying about it. But I know my brother fears the most my large numbers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:30:13 PM by Lateksimajava »

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »

This is my list to meet the forces of Chaos tonight! I'll post you some photos of the game later.

Wizard: Wizard master, 4 learned spells (Divination)……380

Artificer……170

34 Imperial guard: great weapons, full command……760

5 Rangers……100

20 Flagellants……380

Cannon……260

Volley gun……250

:ph34r:

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:21 PM »
I screwed things up pretty bad quite soon. I gave a chariot a change to charge my pistoliers on a roll of 10 on the first tuen. This caused also my huntsmen to flee. On my first turn I charged the big unit of chaos warriors and ran right through them and the bsb to their rear. Unfortunately on the second turn the Chaos General in chariot charged (again 10", my mistake) the spearmen and my Wizard. At this point my linen were broken but I still had my two main units and knights left. I was hunting the enemy Wizard and marauders in my right flank but one chariot managed to break them. In the end all my artillery and shooters were butchered and only the greatswords remained. Three chariots, war shrine and skullcrushers took care of them in one charge. I did 0 wounds.

There was nothing wrong with the list I'm afraid. It might have been a good idea to stay back and shoot for a one more turn. Definitely I  shouldn't have given any free charges. Better luck and hopefully better playing next time.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 11:00:33 PM »
Happens to me 50% of the time: my list is OK, but I'm too eager to advance in order to play to the list's strengths.

I'm beginning to think that an infantry heavy mixed Empire list actually has a very strict timetable over the first four turns. It needs to max shooting, it needs to divert something to create an opening in the enemy line, it needs to win something small to get freedom on one flank, it needs to maneuver for good charge positions etc etc. And beginning from the 4th turn, as far as there's units and room left, it needs to maneuver for the Secondary objectives.

I've managed to handle the timetable only once, and that game played like a dream. I was lucky, though. Nevertheless, knowing exactly what to do and where to focus each turn changes the game.

Keep a diary of your failures and practice with your troops on the table. Do it alone or with a friend. Measure, move, measure, start over. That's how I've developed some reliable opening phases, and that's how I have a feeling for how the units play in concert. I guess this is getting close to chess actually. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.