home

Author Topic: 8th Edition charging mess  (Read 1817 times)

Offline elfhunter

• Members
8th Edition charging mess
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
Hey everybody,
Best wishes and a bonus rule question.

My knights charge into a unit of beastmen, they flee.
I pursue and run into the unit of beastmen behind them.
I count as charging in the next round.

It's the beastman player's round and he charges a razorgor into my unit.

What happens?
1) My knights count as charging against both units (and can use their lances)
2) My knights use their lances against the beastmen but handweapons agains the razorgor
3) The razorgor explodes because reasons

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: 8th Edition charging mess
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
BRB p. 78: "This might result in both sides having charging units in the same fight, in which case the charging units on both sides will get the normal bonuses conferred by charging (e.g. causing impact hits, benefiting from a lance's Strength bonus, etc., and other bonuses described later in this Rules section). Also, both sides will get the +1 combat resolution bonus, which will effectively cancel each other out."

There is no specification that the charge boni are only effective against the unit charged. Therefore only 1) is correct.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline elfhunter

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:51 AM »
I knew this was the right forum for these type of questions
Thanks a million Fidelis, we kept looking up stuff in the BRB but apparently you're just better at it  :biggriin:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »
Am I going to get into trouble for this?
The rulebooks I always use are the ones from the dawn of the New Millennium. Specifically; the one that came with the starter set that had Empire vs Orcs. I hate to sound like a purist but that was the rulebook I got when I was 15 and I couldn't get my parents to buy me another. I also don't see the point in constantly updating rule books.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:32:47 AM »
The starter box "empire vs. orcs" was the 6th edition. The 8th edition rules are very different. However, there is no problem in playing 6th edition rules (in particular as all WFB editions are officially defunct) - provided you all play by the same rulebook. So, if you ever have a question here pertaining rules, you need to specify which edition you are playing (as elfhunter did in the title).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:37:13 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »
....The rulebooks I always use are the ones from the dawn of the New Millennium. Specifically; the one that came with the starter set that had Empire vs Orcs. ....

You're playing what is colloquially known as 'Oldhammer'. There are many oldhammer groups, with websites even (http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/). I have played a bit of 3rd edition oldhammer, and even did a massive 1st edition game in which we reenacted WFB circa 1984 (see http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,43458.0.html). Also one 3rd edition game a wrote up is here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,47261.0.html.

Mind you, 8th edition is also 'Oldhammer' now - all WFB is since AoS.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/