home

Author Topic: standard bearer placement  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
standard bearer placement
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:09:56 AM »
I'm currently putting my Empire army on display after having moved house. Anyway, exposition aside, I was wondering if it is ok to place the standard bearers in other places in the regiments. Most of my standards are a bit top heavy and I've had to place them in different parts of the group in order to get them to stand. Does this really matter or do they have to be at the front?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: standard bearer placement
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
If you are playing according to WFB rules, it was always the case that the command group must be placed in the unit's front rank, and will move automatically if the unit reforms.

For example, 8th edition BRB p .82:

Any models that make up a unit's command group must be placed in the front rank of the unit, unless there is not enough room for them to fit. Where this happens, as many command group models as possible must be placed in the front rank and any remaining models are placed in the rank behind.

If the unit changes formation then the command group automatically pushes its way back to the front. Accordingly, when a unit reforms, the models of the unit's command group must be repositioned into the unit's new front rank as described above (regardless of the distance).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »
Thanks for the help. I've got them all in the front now; even though most of them don't stand up too well. I think I need weights or something for them

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
You want to get lead into their shoes?  Most military strategists would advise against that...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:07:16 AM »
Although the rules are correct for Warhammer, the last thing you would want is a great hole in your shield wall for drummer and flag waver. Also speaking from experience you don't want the flag in the faces of your front rankers when the enemy are less the 10 feet from you.

To counter balance your standard bearer add either coins or washers under the base. Make sure the flag comes back over the figure so not front or side heavy. If that fails the glue slate onto the base and put the figure onto the slate.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:49:18 AM »
I don't know why I didn't try weights in the first place. I used to use small, offcut bits of pewter but that wasn't very successful.
As for the obscuring vision thing. Most of my standards are modelled so the banner isn't in the face of the troops. I'll post pictures once I get a decent camera