home

Author Topic: 28mm Landsknechts on Kickstarter ...  (Read 13975 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: 28mm Landsknechts on Kickstarter ...
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
I think it went a lot better than he thought it would.

The original target was only £100 and he had monies to pay for the basic sculpts already.
He has said that this funding is actually paying for the stretch goal items.

The £40 - one of everything with all the stretch goals was too low.

In my opinion he would have been better with:
- Less stretch goals - maybe one every £1000
- Higher Stretch Goal qualification, maybe £50 or £60 minimum
- Then more basic trooper models variation.

But I'm happy with what I have hopefully got from the KS  :biggriin:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »
Wow, it got all the way to 6,714 pounds, so that includes the 2 small tents.

If I recall, the 40 pounds Skirmish/Collectors pledge matched the cost of those figures if bought individually.

My sense is this was successful for him.  Those who pledged saw enough value and will get enough, while the manufacturer get what he wanted to do and broaden the line further than originally planned.  A good deal all the way around.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2017, 08:40:08 AM »
Yeah, I also think it was a good deal to both parties.  :-D

Just somewhere in the progress, when new stretch goals kept adding up, I made the calculation that bidding for the smallest deal with "entitled to all stretch goals" was getting you individual figures (and character & cavalry figures at that) considerably cheaper than going for the big deals. Now, personally, I was on a tight budget anyway, and in the end did push my bid up two steps. But this might have had an influence on bidder behavior.

I don't think this is actually relevant here, and I think all parties are (and will be) very happy. It's just showing that Mr. Holmes didn't see what was coming, and didn't plan/calculate that far. He adjusted midway, but was still sure it wouldn't go that far. In the end it approached filling even the last stretch goal. I think Midaski's phasing might have been more realistic. (But am happy it wasn't like that.)

Some kickstarters have succumbed because of the burden of promised stretch goals. When Mr. Holmes says he will produce everything and keep the timeline, I have faith. And it doesn't matter for me if it takes longer than June. I've never had a Kickstarter deliver when promised, and even big companies like Reaper tend to be 6 months late.

Will definitely have a look at the coming Italian & Swiss lines!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »
I really didn't know you could start your own metal miniatures production with that low initial start-up costs. Makes me wonder why more wannabe artists haven't done that.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
The guy already has a miniatures company, he doesn't seem to be a start up.  He was already investing time, effort and money into this project prior to having the kickstarter campaign to generate more financing for more figures.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
Finally got my Landsknechts from this KS. They're exactly as promised, and the quality is fine.

Too bad it took this long, as my priorities have shifted somewhat. Too bad this KS cost Adam the range (he had to sell it to cover the whole recasting process), but I greatly appreciate that he lived up to his word to deliver what he promised.

Anyone else got theirs? What are you planning to do with them now, after a year and a half of waiting?

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2018, 04:51:07 PM »
My expectation was that I'd be receiving these towards the end, and it is my understanding they are on the way.

The plan is likely to paint them for historical gaming, so the units won't likely be used for WFB, probably not painted as units in uniform, and instead more along the lines of each figure being slightly different in clothing color.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »
I have the same plan of painting: kinda proper historical Landsknecht look. And a massed formation with different weapons present. Also love the cavalry and the camp followers. Might paint some of them right away when my winter holiday starts.  :happy:

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
Woah, nice find.

These are looking great! Even better than the old Pro Gloria [currently Warlord's] to me.
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
I got mine a couple of weeks ago - generally pleased, though I have queried a couple of things.

I was missing a set of 4 Handgunners, BUT got an extra set of Zweihanders. Not too fussed as I have the Warlord/ProGloria plastics which I am hoping I will be able to do some matching figures with.

However I did not get any pikes, and I am pretty certain they were promised early on as 'included'.

Lastly I did not get any tents - which were a stretch goal - and I haven't seen any recent mention of them.

Not too fussed about it as it was a pretty good value KS, and Adam does seem to have been shafted by the original casters. The pictures he posted of some of their work, which started the complaints, seemed very shabby casts.
As with most things these days, I am planning to base these on 20mm square and then use them in both historical or fantasy games.
What I love about the 'Landsknecht' minis is the random multi-colour painting one can use, to offset the "regimented" look of my other human units.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2018, 02:39:27 AM »
Hmmm ... handgunners replaced by Zweihanders.  Hopefully that doesn't mean the handgunners aren't available.

Halberds were going to be available as well as the pikes, although due to the issue with the original caster, not surprised.

If I recall there may have been something about the tents not being produced, but could be wrong.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
I got some handgunners - just not the right number of packs.
They were in sets of 4, and I added various extras to my base pledge.

I've got quite a few steel pikes already from NorthStar and Warlord Games, so no real worries, - it was just that they were mentioned.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »
Good to learn on the handgunners. :icon_cool:

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
I have got two of the small tents , I think the problem with the tents were that they were very fragile and easily damaged.
I think we have to wait and see with the new owner who I met at Devises in the summer when I collected my replacements from Adam.

I've just started to paint the hand gunners last week.
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
Received my order this past Monday.  There was a mix up on the PO Box, yet the USPS got it to me anyway.

I love the figures!  Have enough for a small mercenary army.  So many cool figures!

I've gone through them once quickly, and it seems the full order is there, and then some.  I am peached!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:46:28 PM by GamesPoet »