home

Author Topic: Shooty centre, close combat wings - viable formation? [T9A]  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Shooty centre, close combat wings - viable formation? [T9A]
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:44 PM »
More theoryhammer while waiting for an actual chance to play  :happy:

As you might have figured out, I want to see if I can make a semi-MSU, core-heavy, parent/support unit based Empire army work in T9A. Might it work to deploy in something like the following kind of formation: A centre of shooty support units, wings of close combat infantry, artillery somewhere in the junction between the centre and the wings.

I was thinking that against an enemy with significantly fewer units than you (i.e. most opponents), he'd be in a bind as for where to go. If he moves against the centre, the centre will fire on him while approaching, flee before him, while the wings pivot inwards to flank him. If he instead does a refused centre and would go for the wings, the units on the wings would maneuver around to delay contact as long as possible, flee where they safely can so and rally farther back, while the centre would get free reign to shoot for as long as possible, maybe even swing towards the wings for a final outflanking when close combat becomes inevitable.

The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Shooty centre, close combat wings - viable formation? [T9A]
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
I should think it depends on the enemy. If he has fast moving units and flyers, your centre might be broken very quickly.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:36:01 AM »
8th edition, and T9A, the random change distances mean units are faster. Generally means at least 1 less round of shooting. Also means harder to flee successfully for your flanking units.

I think it will be as fun to play as any other gunline. You will also struggle to keep those units on the flanks alive, as they wont be supported well, and will probably have less space to manuvre. I can see the enemy focusing on those, killing them quickly, and then rolling through your centre.

I guess more to the point - how do gunlines fair in T9A?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
I guess more to the point - how do gunlines fair in T9A?

Downtoned. Intentionally. because gunlines were felt to be unfun.

Both Dwarves, Empire, and all Elves can still build gunline style armies. IIRC Ogres might be able too, and maybe even O&G. Dwarves especially have high WS, T, and passable AS with access to the Shieldwall special rule, so their gunline troops can put up a resistance in close combat too.

I've let myself understand that the best working 'gunlines' in the 9th Age competitive meta are Dwarves with their warmachines and Sylvan Elves with their shooty avoidance skirmishing tactics. Of these two, Dwarves suffer from poor maneuverability, and in this age of chaff and MSU, are at a disadvantage against chaff/MSU tactics.

I think strong EoS gunlines would be similar to the Dwarven gunlines, i.e. EoS needs Artillery in order to really bring punch on the table. And no gunline is viable without some reliable CC units. But the present points categories sort of make it impossible to wield only shooters, so you will automatically pick at least some CC units.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:37:47 AM »
I have zero expirience of T9A but I would rather have heavy cavalry on the wings than CC infantry. If you have a shooty infantry centre, heavy cavalry wings enable you to better exploit gaps created by lucky shooting. CC infantry on the wing will be less able to respond fast enough.
Had it been in 8th ed, I would have considered Greatswords with swordsmen detachment as viable way of holding a flank long enough, but that was in 8th.

Still, the best complement to shooting infantry is hard hitting cavalry.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!