home

Author Topic: Night goblins!  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
Night goblins!
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »
So, new project, new thread! A few years ago I finished the goblin part of the Battle for Skull Pass box, so the next step is expanding that army to 1000pts. I've already got the models to do so, and here's the first one;

The giant!

Side view showing off the dragon's skull on the club, which I'm kinda happy about!

Blurry shot showing one of the giant's victims! Also the rusty shield and plate tied to his arm- I absolutely love working with Ryza rust...

More victims! They appear to be halflings, although I'm not sure if they're still alive or not...

http://trueds.nl/photo/giant005.png
Close up!

I'm really, really unhappy with the fact that the model's torso and back didn't fit together properly, but otherwise I think he turned out ok. Also it was my first time using Stirland battlemire for the base, which requires a very thick layer- moreso than the thin textures...

Anyway that's it for now. I know I said this was going to be a night goblin thread, but the li'l uns will have to wait. Please let me know what you think, any suggestions/ tips are welcome!

Edit; huh, one moment, having some trouble posting the pictures...
Edit2; ok, I've added links to the images instead, since the img tag is giving me some trouble.  The links navigate to my own server, so please, check them out :)!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:19:32 AM by Demonslayer »
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Night goblins!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
nicely done, you might think about giving him a couple of night goblin riders, and maybe a squig or two hopping around his ankles.  steveb

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »
You say he turned out ok? I'd say a lot more than ok.  I actually really feel for the poor bastard in his hand. All he second breakfastes he's gonna miss!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »
Thanks guys! Adding squigs to the base sounds interesting, but unfortunately I don't have any left over (the ones I have are going into my squig herd unit). Might have to buy a couple more...

Also I'm quite sure the victims won't miss out on second breakfast- in fact, they'll probably end up being an integral part of it ;).
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:32:16 AM »
One thing that GW always managed to do well, was their Giant range. From the earliest days to this intimidating fellah, their Giants are simply awesome and you did this one true justice. :::cheers:::
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »

Also I'm quite sure the victims won't miss out on second breakfast- in fact, they'll probably end up being an integral part of it ;).

Ha! Ha! Good point. Main course - you!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:45:35 PM »
Nice work on that giant!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »
 :icon_eek: All the inhabitants for the Moot will be horrified! :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
:icon_eek: All the inhabitants for the Moot will be horrified! :icon_lol:

One cannonball to the face will suffice. I'm pretty sure that Halflings have at least a single piece from the Imperial Gunnery School, lying somewhere. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
Nice giant.  :-)

Agree with the ideas to tie this better into a Night Goblin theme. If you lack squigs, ordinary night goblins are also a perfect fit. You might be able to add some humor there, like a Night Goblin poking the giant forward in a manner which makes it completely clear the giant is totally unaware of the poking.

Really unfortunate that the back & front pieces didn't fit correctly. I've seen this on a couple of larger GW models (the Dark Vengeance Hellbrute comes to mind), and it's just frustrating, considering they actually do some of the finest plastics around, and especially claim to be the best. Shame on them!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »
I think mine mainly fit together ok? I might have to check. I think sequence is important, as well as whether the piece got squashed in the box prior to assembly. Or it could be a silly sculpt. It was one of their earlier CAD designs, and i do remember some fiddling, but i dont remember being unhappy.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
I used the instructions as described in the manual, so it's probably either a case of the plastic being slightly bent or just me not being careful enough while assembling (probably the latter ;) ).

Also I've begun working on some squig hoppers, and I'm already annoyed with the huge mold plugs! Takes a bit more cutting than plastic models, and I've already cut my thumb (don't worry, I have a spare ;) ) while removing the model from the sprue. Also who's bright idea was it to affix a squig to its base with nothing but the tip of it's toenail  :eusa_wall:?

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:02:24 PM »
And here's the first of the squig hoppers;

Plus a picture of him and his big buddy ;).

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:43:20 PM by Demonslayer »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
Delightful! I love squigs. Probably my favorite model. Built a whole goblin army around 3 units of hoppers and a herd. Got totally destroyed in my tourney but had an immense pile of fun. Wish I could have a real life squig.....,
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
I absolutely love squigs, although a live one would probably be a bit too voracious to keep  :wink:.

What I don't like about them, however, is their construction. I've had yet another one break at the base (seriously, who came up with the idea of attaching the model to the base by a single toenail?), which I solved after a bit of fitting with a piece of wood, but seriously, the resin models are a bit too fragile for my taste...

Anyway, I did some more work, and presto;

New gobbo! Love the wooden sword!

Group shot of the first three bouncing around

http://trueds.nl/photo/hopper004.png
Another group shot of the three ranked up.

The fourth one is done too, just need to wait for the texture paint to dry. I'll try and post a picture of him tomorrow.

Also if someone could give me some feedback on the rock the guy with the wooden sword is sitting on, I'd appreciate it- never really did this before, so I'd like to know if the combo (Astrogranite debris, Drakenhof nightshade, drybrushed dawnstone grey) works or not...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:03:04 PM by Demonslayer »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
Quote : Deamonslayer
I absolutely love squigs, although a live one would probably be a bit too voracious to keep  :wink:.

I myself would keep it chained up outside  near the hydro and gas shutoff valves 😸
I think that rock idea was a good one. Allow a different angle to the hopper as well.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »
Some more finished models!

All the squig hoppers, done!

And a trio of fanatic- unfortunately the camera's a bit out of focus here...

Any comments, feedback, please let me know!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 01:06:33 AM »
Loving this thread! That squig with the rock - rocks! I really like the rope work on the ball and chain as well. Like the colour.
Nothing like a bunch of night goblins looking for some fun on the town. Glorious!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 08:09:07 AM »
Thanks! I did the ropes with a base of XV-88, agrax earthshade wash, then painting a layer of thinned down tau light ochre everywhere but in the recesses. Could've gone for a highlight I suppose, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Plus I'm not quite sure what I'd need for the highlight anyway... Very light Ushabti Bone drybrush, maybe?.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Gnarly squigs!

These guys are going to be the first half of my squig herd unit, and were an absolute blast to paint :). Love the models, might even get another pack of them despite my undying hatred of resin ;).

Also I did a little NMM-gold on the nose ring of the second guy from the right, but honestly the area was a bit too small to paint several highlights... Thoughts?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
Ahhh the old school squigs... How can one not love them? They're so happy! :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »
Finally managed to finish the last few night goblin models I still had in my backlog;

A shot of three squigs and their slightly nervous herders

The whole squig herd, ranked up!

The big beastie himself!

Kinda happy with how the mangler turned out. Fortunately assembling him wasn't as much of a problem as I'd expected- he seems top heavy, but the two squigs actually stick well together. It's the smaller details that posed a problem- the one of the gobbos kept falling off (rather realistic, to be honest), a small ball and chain did not stick no matter how much glue I used, and the chain connecting the two squigs broke off, which is why I didn't bend it as much as I should have...

Still, ended up pretty nicely. And with that, the night goblins are done! Next project will be Chaos Warriors (I refuse to call them slaves to darkness), which will be a rather short project since I only have five of them :P.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »
That mangler is a beauty. I cheated with mine as I used a lot of green stuff and a broken chain as one of em got away lol. This is the real thing though. Hopefully you will have as much fun with the chaos.  I just loved everything about. He gobbos from building to painting to playing.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
Thank you! Like I said, putting the two manglers together was easy enough, although I think that was mostly because I was lucky to have one which fit together very well- I read stories about people needing drills, green stuff, etc... Or just gave up and made two seperate squigs (which I came very close to doing, had I been confident enough in my greenskin skills to fix the big hole where the top squig's foot goes. Still kinda worried I'll come home to the thing having fallen apart ;)!

If you have pictures, I'd like to see what you made- it sounds like a very interesting conversion :)!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 08:24:27 AM »
Man, those Manglers look intimidating. :ph34r:

Gneisenau