home

Author Topic: Historical Kickstarters ...  (Read 31313 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Historical Kickstarters ...
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »
Baron's War

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbers/the-barons-war-28mm-medieval-miniatures
Only a few hours to go on this.

I pledged enough to get one of each item.  I'm imagining these could be used for historical gaming and Bretonnians.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »
Well while that one is closing out, found this one closing out as well ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/may40miniatures/german-fallschirmjager-1940-invasion-of-the-low-countries?ref=discovery_similar

They have the Fallschirmjager, and Dutch too!

It is awfully tempting, but this would be a significant and separate project that who knows when I might ever get to it.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
This was too tempting not to pledge ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1165095497/huszar-hungarian-wwii-cavalry-28mm-scale?ref=user_menu

Just got one of each for some skirmish gaming on a large table (perhaps in the new hobby storage unit?), and that gets me a commander as well.  However, it is awfully tempting to get two squads of each to get the HMG on horse figures for free, too.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »
Baron's War

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbers/the-barons-war-28mm-medieval-miniatures
Only a few hours to go on this.

I pledged enough to get one of each item.  I'm imagining these could be used for historical gaming and Bretonnians.
Rec'd these, and they look wonderful.  I got the one of everything deal, and added 3 packs of spearmen to them for an additional 12 infantry.  I'm imagining these might get based for Lion Rampant, although when I'll get a round to them is up in the air.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »
Fireforge wants to go big with their Byzantine range.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireforgegames/byzantine-miniatures/?ref=kicktraq

At 30K € they will start with plastic med & archer cavalry.
If they reach 35K €, add resin Varangians
If they reach 40K €, there will be resin Kataphracts, shields, and a Harald Hardrada foot character.
More goodies at 42K € and higher...

After the first five days, it's at 15K €. Unless it dramatically slows down, this will likely make it into the interesting resin stuff.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
I pledged for the 5 box level, and will see how the campaign goes.

I'm not interested in the resin kits, although not sure the campaign will reach the level to get them to be plastic.  And if it doesn't, then I'll get 5 boxes of plastic with medium/light horse, horse archers, 2 boxes of spearsmen, and auxiliaries.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2020, 07:34:56 PM »
I'm mostly interested in the sets that open at 40/42K €. The funding structure tears me apart: If it funds at 30...39,999 €, I would be left high and dry.

So I don't know if and when I should pledge. I don't want to be the guy to withdraw my pledge near the end.

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »
I'd wait in your shoes.

My sense is that they aren't expecting those items to necessarily hit.  Which means then they could do a different kickstarter in the future based off of those.  They're giving folks an opportunity to get those started now, but obviously the structure isn't ideal.

I wasn't interested in the spearmen and auxiliaries when that was all they had for Byzantines, but providing those basic cav and horse archers makes it more appealing to have some of all those.  I'm imagining these could be used for a Border Princes force or mercenaries of some kind.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2020, 07:19:57 AM »
I wasn't interested in the spearmen and auxiliaries when that was all they had for Byzantines, but providing those basic cav and horse archers makes it more appealing to have some of all those.  I'm imagining these could be used for a Border Princes force or mercenaries of some kind.

Agree the FF Byzantine range will really get a boost with the two plastic cavalry, and potentially with the new Cataphracts & c.

I'm too much a history freak to use 10th-11th C Byzantines in the Old World. Or... Maybe Kislevites or even Chaos Marauders?

My other problem is that I'm into 12th-13th C. So need to convert my Byzantines some, to make the gear fit the period. Still, since I am going to build a Byzantine force, it will only take a couple of the older/classic units to make it suitably fitting for the earlier periods too. :)

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »
At the moment ... lol ... I have no real reason for Byzantines for historical gaming.  Unless there's a Lion Rampant force for them, need to check that out when I get the rules in front of me again.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2020, 11:48:17 PM »
I've been watching the new Fireforge one. Really I'm only interested in the Varangians and Harold, and really only interested in plastic. Campaign isn't going super fast this time so I'm waiting at this point.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2020, 02:51:12 AM »
At this a point with 2 plus weeks to go, not surprising that it is going slower.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2020, 12:51:21 PM »
Resin Varangians, Cataphracts, Harold and Byzantine shields are now going to fund at 30K.

The stretch goals for the characters were also adjusted somewhat downward.

I think this is a great move. Let's hope for some new & higher pledges. Personally, I'm all in for a Varangian pledge now.  :-)

-Z

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2020, 03:56:51 PM »
I think they needed it honestly, it get people in. It actually has me rethinking my pledge. I'm pretty much convinced myself to drop out and buy halo instead, but now I'm back on the fence looking at Harold and the Varangians.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2020, 06:48:54 PM »
Fireforge has now added info on post-campaign discounts on their stock figures. Practically all plastic boxes can be got at 20 % discount, minus the recent Forgotten World, which go for 10 % discount. As I understand it, the 20 % discount also includes all resin figures in the Deus Vult ranges.

You need to be at least at the Skoutatos level (70 €) to be eligible for the discounts. Which makes sense.

At least from my perspective it's a decent discount. Added some of monies to my pledge, a couple of boxes and a couple of individuals.

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2020, 02:13:37 AM »
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:50:44 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »
They look nice

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2020, 07:50:20 PM »
I was going to pledge for a Gentlemen's Company, but I'm not sure I can just be a gentlemen and not buy more. :icon_redface:

:icon_lol:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:01:43 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »
Fireforge has unlocked more of the Byzantine figures, seems to be an encouragement to have more pledged.  The campaign is closing in on the 30K anyway, the question is how many more will join and how many of those who have will increase.  I might increase for at least the command figures, maybe I'll go to 7 boxes instead of the 5, except the Varangians and Cataphrats are being made in resin, not plastic.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »
Only a couple hours remaining on the Fireforge Byzantines ...

... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireforgegames/byzantine-miniatures?ref=user_menu

I've gone for the 7 boxes pledge and picked up a pair of the infantry command, and bought the leader on horse as well.  This pledge gives me pplenty of options for Lion Rampant and making these figures a kingdom in the Border Princes, perhaps at the western end as an opponent for my Matoreans.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
It was interesting to see the pledge amount for the Byzantines significantly dropped towards the very end of the campaign, and wonder what that was all about.  Perhaps the world health issue has effected some folks decision to spend money on the project. :icon_sad:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
It was interesting to see the pledge amount for the Byzantines significantly dropped towards the very end of the campaign, and wonder what that was all about.  Perhaps the world health issue has effected some folks decision to spend money on the project. :icon_sad:

Yep - I resisted.

I was quite interested, but mainly in the sets that were half the numbers in resin as opposed to plastic.
The Varangian Guard, and the Cataphracts would have been great plastic kits, but I didn't fancy them in resin. Especially when you got 12 instead of 24, and 6 instead of 12 respectively.

The other kits will appear at Trade Shows next year, probably at 20% off.

I do feel Fireforge try to do too much, and make their KS too complicated.
If they had aimed for just the 2 plastic kits this time, with a couple of characters, and then done the other kits in plastic in 6 or 9 months time.

The previous KS went to the wire with them giving away all sorts of bits to get funded. This one scraped through, again with concessions - the Cataphracts should have funded in resin at 40,000e and they only slid past 30K

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
You were wiser than I.  I'm not thrilled about the resin kits either, and not sure I'm even going to get them.  I do like the plastic kits for Lion Rampant army building, and a Border Prince idea.  The new medium cav, and horse archers mixed with the spearmen and auxilary options were enticing to me, although your comment about them eventually being cheaper on show tables is accurate.

And I agree that Fireforge seems to take on projects that seem too large, and the making of concessions seems to reduce the idea that this is a campaign to raise the funds to produce the figures.  Their enthusiasm to produce them could be getting in the way of the structure that their using, and so then they attempt to entice through going back on hat they initially set in motion.  Hope I'm explaining that in an understandable way.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »
Wow, I just saw the final total raised, and it really came down towards the end more than it did the last time I looked while the campaign was running.  Not ever seen a kickstarter campaign go quite like that, and be so much less at the end than it was before the last day of the campaign had started.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2020, 02:35:55 PM »
I'm wondering why the Varangians and Cataphracts are being made in resin and in the lesser quantities per box?  Wondering why not make them in plastic, and provide more figures for the same price.  Hoping someone can explain this.