home

Author Topic: Historical Kickstarters ...  (Read 32021 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Historical Kickstarters ...
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2020, 11:06:37 PM »
Resin moulds are way cheaper and probably easier

The moulds for plastic sprues are a much bigger initial outlay.

As plastic has become more common, I am sure the price has dropped, but I seem to recall that in the early days setting up a plastic mould was about £50k
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2020, 11:50:35 PM »
That could be another reason for them to be doing smaller campaigns.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »
Wow, I just saw the final total raised, and it really came down towards the end more than it did the last time I looked while the campaign was running.  Not ever seen a kickstarter campaign go quite like that, and be so much less at the end than it was before the last day of the campaign had started.

Yeah. There was a sudden "investment" of 4,000 € that ended the mid lull and got the campaign going again.

My guess is that Fireforge invested a lot of their own money in this campaign, to keep it going. And when it finally reached 38,000 € an hour before funding, they felt secure to withdraw a good portion of their investment, letting us normal backers do the work of funding. They were not going to fund the Pechenegs at 50K € anyway, so 30K € was enough.

See, their Forgotten World Kickstarter finished at exactly 142,500 €, and this KS finished at exaclty 35,000 $. Such sums do not happen without manipulation. That's an unscrupulous, bold way to say that "we did it". Though it could be a generous backer, of course. But I doubt it.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
Hmmm.  Well, they are an Italian outfit. :icon_wink:

Seriously, if they are really manipulating their own campaigns by 4000 euros, can't imagine that isn't going to fail them at some point with something.  And people catching on to that might increase the likelihood of a future issue of some kind, if there are enough folks who decide to get leery regarding how they watch the campaigns that Fireforge presents in the future.

- - - - - - - - -

I'm rethinking how to spend my slots purchased via the 7 box pledge level.  I might only go for plastic.  I've never been thrilled with the whole Vikings in a guard unit anyway, although I'm sure there are some mighty nice Vikings and Cataphrats made by other producers anyway, if I even want them as part of my Byzantine army.  But I'll save the details for the Lion Rampant thread.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2020, 09:17:29 AM »
This campaign has taken off nicely ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1527901373/steel-fist-miniatures-english-civil-war-in-15mm?ref=user_menu

In nearing its end, there's only a little bit more to reach the final stretch goal.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
And bingo! That ECW Steel Fist campaign made it! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
although I'm sure there are some mighty nice Vikings and Cataphrats made by other producers anyway, if I even want them as part of my Byzantine army.

The V&V resin Varangians and Cataphracts FFG was selling earlier are really good. But they're also really expensive.

I'm not aware of good Cataphract models at this special 'heroic/historical" 28mm at the FFG price point. All historical Cataphracts I know of are either subpar or visibly from an earlier era. I don't know who would produce 10th-12th C Cataphracts at this specific scale and price. If you know of such, I'd be happy to know too! :)

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2020, 05:38:08 PM »
When you quantify it as a "price point" ... well we get what we buy, and not sure I'm interested in having 12 Varangians and 6 Cataphrats in resin.

However ... here is a decent line of metal Byzantine cavalry from Gripping Beast ...

... https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Thematic_Cavalry--category--54.html

Not at the same "price point" as plastic, but they are in metal, and the sculpts are good enough for me.

By the way, they make some good Rus and Baltic figures too.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2020, 06:26:34 PM »
GP, I think they have some Late Roman Cataphracts in plastic that were due for release at Salute - I saw a preview box art pic recently.

Maybe a bit early for the Fireforge period, but ... ... ?

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »
GP, I was talking about Cataphracts "at this special 'heroic/historical" 28mm".

Gripping Beast is usually good and often excellent, but can also be a mixed bag, especially when it comes to scale. I've very carefully pondered their Kataphractoi, because they really are some of the best on the market. But they're a bit small, a bit stiff, and the armor of the riders and the horses is not that sharply sculpted. The FFG resin Cataphracts cost me 3.50 € apiece, with postage. The GP metals would cost me 3.50 £ apiece, plus postage. The price different is not that big, but still clearly favors FFG.

The GP Cataphracts also early for my needs, and I would need to convert them. The FFG Cataphracts also require converting, but it's easier in resin/plastic. I'm not at all adverse to metal, but when I know I'll convert, I prefer other mediums.

Little things, special needs & taste. I'm happy the market has this much choice. :)

This

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »
Andy Hobday is back with Barons War 2 ... sculpted by Paul Hicks ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbers/the-barons-war-28mm-medieval-miniatures/posts/2808270

Doesn't start until April 26th and goes for 2 weeks.

There's no way I'm not pledging to add to my previous haul from the last one.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2020, 04:40:17 PM »
Newest Kickstarter from Andy Hobday and sculpted by Paul Hicks starting soon!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbers/the-barons-war-2-28mm-medieval-miniatures

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2020, 07:14:15 AM »
Barons Wars 2 is starting on Sunday April 26 at 6pm BST ... meaning 1pm EST. :::cheers:::

And they are giving a free mini to anyone who pledges something in the first 24 hours.  So folks ... pledge something, even if just a small amount, and you'll get a free Baron's War mini. :icon_cool:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2020, 11:56:59 PM »
Well that campaign for the Baron's War 2 figures exploded in speed reaching all the stretch goals posted in around 6 hours.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
Yeah. It took 8 minutes to fund.

Looks like Andy Hobday & the sculptor have created a successful new brand. There really was demand for early 13th century figures.

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »
Only a few days to go on this ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbers/the-barons-war-2-28mm-medieval-miniatures/description

These look more like Bretonians, yet they are wonderfully sculpted and relatively reasonable.  I'm imagining these will make good as use for Bretonians in the Border Princes ... a long running dream of having some for this area.

Also, I have one of every figure from the first kickstarer done for the Barons' Wars, and will have one each of these as well.  That'll give plenty for using with their pending rules, and they are even giving away an initial version of the rules that are being play-tested.  Plus I'll have some units for use with Lion Rampant.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2020, 12:26:58 PM »
The barons War 2 campaign is close to meeting its last stretch goal.

The last figures is one of King John, and it looks wonderful ... on horseback and surveying landscape and troops ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbers/the-barons-war-2-28mm-medieval-miniatures/posts/2831413

Only a short time left for pledging.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2020, 07:58:32 PM »
A French and Indian War kickstarter by Brigade Games ... with Paul Hicks sculpting ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brigadegames/this-very-ground-french-and-indian-wars-28mm-miniatures

It will be difficult to resist ... especially for those Canadian Militia. :icon_mrgreen:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2020, 08:19:13 PM »
From the French & Indian War thread ...

The Brigade Games stuff does look good, and I like the fact that the poses are very varied too - there are a few too many similar poses with the Northstar stuff in my opinion.

I may pledge, but I seriously do NOT need the figures numbers wise.  :closed-eyes: and the postage looks like it may be expensive to the UK.
I am a bit confused by the way it's laid out at the bottom of the page - it looks like it could be up to 37$  :icon_question:

I probably need to read the whole thing more carefully - there's a whole load of extra figure sets listed as well.
Not sure what is meant by "be up to $37" :icon_question:

The campaign has two pledge levels ... I've been seeing some campaigns go this route recently ...

(1.) The first is pledge for whatever amount you'd like, ti seems every campaign has one of these so suspect it is required.  However, in this campaign it could be used if someone just wants to get a couple of packs of 6 figures each.

(2.) Then there is the $75  pledge where a person gets six packs.  Which turns out to be $12.50 per pack instead of the $13 per pack amount otherwise.

The first six packs seem to make a nice addition tot he F&IW figures currently available.  And when I look at them from the perspective of 12 figure units for Rebels and Patriots , the first six provide 3 new units.  It might be a stretch to mix the rangers with the Highlanders in Campaign dress, although the Natives in everyday wear wihtout their chests all showing, and French Militia are no brainers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2020, 09:50:51 PM »
Brigade just included add ons for their King Philip's War, AWI, and War of 1812 figures to the kickstarter and at a reduction from regular retail for the kickstarter pricing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brigadegames/this-very-ground-french-and-indian-wars-28mm-miniatures/description

Uh oh!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2020, 11:02:02 PM »
I've had a closer look now.

I expect I will just stay with the new FIW sculpts - the 6 starter packs and then the add-on 4 Infantry packs providing the total makes it to French Infanty II at 23000$
Think it will likely make 23K.  And I'm so not into the "Last of the Mohican" figures.  I'd rather have more packs.

So 127$ and then a decision about the Rule Set - 20$ for the softback version.
Haven't seen the first set so no idea how it plays?

I already have the Rulebooks for Muskets & Tomahawks, and the Black Powder Rule Book with their supplement "A Dark & Bloody Ground".

So it's a question of 2 or 3 rules sets which I am unlikely to play  :engel:
Yep, definitely the soft back for me.  These kinds of rules have really little resale value, and have no idea if I'll enjoy them or not, although it sounds like it is an upgrade from the original.  The ideas on firing, charging, melee and morale seem intriguing.

I wonder with this sort of KS how people view it?

Do they throw their hat in the ring straightaway and pledge a for the initial sets, and then go in and edit their pledge as more units get unlocked?

Or do they sit back and watch to see how much unlocks before committing?

A mixture of both I guess, and with 17 days to go we are probably in the 'limbo' phase.

Interesting if everyone went with the first choice, would it encourage the developer to offer more freebies as the total exceeds the 26000$ current top target.
Yes, there's been a mixture of attitudes apparently.  I went for $127 for the F&IW figures and yes, +$20 for the rule book = $147.

I also chimed in for the King Philip's War figures. Always wanted to pick some of those up, yet I have the AWI figures to a point, and not all, so I may switch gears and get more AWI instead, whicl holding off on Kng Philip's War.  I like the idea of War of 1812, especially Canadian area or maybe Battle of New Orleans inspired collecting, yet it is another project, and I have too many already.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:39:41 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2020, 04:35:55 PM »
I jumped in to this the other day.

No rulebook, but all the unlocked stuff so far apart from the War Party Slaves set. 140$

I would like to see both the Command sets achieved too - 300$ to go for the French one.
(Glad that the French are first up - usually it seems to me that the Brits Units always seem to be available first.  :engel:

I have loads of FIW figures now from the 2 Muskets and Tomahawks KS, and Perry purchases, but these do seem to add more variety and will mix into my existing units well ... ... ...

... ... ... and it keeps getting reported that staying at home in 'lockdown' has meant we are spending less.
I think that is true - my bank balance is quite healthy and my minis purchasing has been down considerably. 
I am not sure if that is down to lack of availability, lack of new releases, or even if "100 Days" is making me look at all the stuff I have waiting on my tables and I am saying "No, I already have plenty of figures suitable for that game / genre.   :biggriin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »
Ha!

Me? I'm in for every set, & paperback rules.  And a bunch of Continentals and Brit Lights I didn't pickup after the last kickstarter.  Brigade is going to add in a bunch of sets they are going to make anyway, and make those available for order after it is all over anyway.

Although I haven't added in yet for the war party (not sure I'd ever use those), might put in for the command figures, it looks like they'll at least make it to the French.

I have a bunch of F&IW figures I bought from AW Miniatures prior to even knowing this campaign was moving forward, but I couldn't pass up the 30% off that they were doing at the beginning of the public health issue.  Now I will ahve more F&IW figures that what is sensible for a guy to have when he already has plenty.

And well, my food, clothing, gas, out and about, dating and dancing costs ... those are all down.  But my miniature buying ... eek! :icon_eek:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
Just had the 48 hour email
Rangers Command
Highlanders Command
Settlers Defending

all possible

and a new All-In pledge = every model + Hard Copy Rulebook

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
Hadn't seen ... yet ...