home

Author Topic: Vanilla knights in T9A 1.3?  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Vanilla knights in T9A 1.3?
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
How should one outfit a unit of vanilla knights in current T9A? Old 6e/7e wisdom is to just buy a musician, but that was at the time when musicians were cheap, helped you rally and decided draws.

Musicians in T9A give a bit of mobility by allowing an advance move after a reform, I'm not so sure that's really useful for vanilla knights. If they need to relocate fast, they may as well march, getting another 7'' of movement that allows them to turn pretty well anyway, even if not pull off some particularly dastardly moves.

Also, standards look like a lot more attractive proposition on units they were hardly ever used on before. All standards add CR, not just the first, and the opponent doesn't get bonus VPs from capturing them anymore. I'm thus thinking standard only might be the new proper way to run vanilla knights.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Vanilla knights in T9A 1.3?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »
Standards would also make them look good too. I always took my nilla knights properly nilla. Command models were always just extra points on a throw away unit. But thats me... standard does sound good though from what you just said...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
What is a Vanilla Knight ? Guessing it's an ordinary knight as vanilla ice-cream is referred to as plain.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
Yep.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
Vanilla is no commander, musician, nor standard.

At the time, I tended to take musicians for rallying, and modeled commanders and standards anyway as well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »
Given that in 8th the upgrades just cost 10pts, it was easier to take them.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:27:10 AM »
I liked the look of just 5 plain knights. Generally 2 - 3 units of them.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
What is a Vanilla Knight ? Guessing it's an ordinary knight as vanilla ice-cream is referred to as plain.

A concept dating back to 6th Edition Empire play. A plain unit of 5 knights, usually with just a musician and no other upgrades. It was a very affordable unit to put on the wings as part of a cavalry screen. Its 1+ save made it capable of withstanding enemy shooting and handily win against enemy light cavalry, chaff or unprotected archer units and such.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
I do not know what the T9A rules for a musician are, but in WFB a musician was always worth his points - in 8th more than ever.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
A concept dating back to 6th Edition Empire play. A plain unit of 5 knights, usually with just a musician and no other upgrades. It was a very affordable unit to put on the wings as part of a cavalry screen. Its 1+ save made it capable of withstanding enemy shooting and handily win against enemy light cavalry, chaff or unprotected archer units and such.
Small knight units like that were worth their points cost, and on the flanks where they belonged in the renaissance.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 03:46:17 AM »
Vanilla is no commander, musician, nor standard.

At the time, I tended to take musicians for rallying, and modeled commanders and standards anyway as well.

This is not what vanilla is.
Vanilla just kinda means plain or normal. It is actually slang that is not more useful than the actual word.
I would avoid using the word vanilla in such manor in any future uses of the English language.

@Konrad.
Knights in T9A are vastly different than in 7ed/6ed. You have to compare them to 8th ed or nothing at all.

The current knights have many options. First is consideration is unit size. Then you have to decide if you are sticking with great weapon, or lance/shield.

Regarding the musician: if you got a big unit, a musician is nice to have as board space can get in the way of wheeling. If you just have a unit of 5 then probably no musician needed.
Banners are pretty good to have as they add +1 combat res all the time.
Champions are decent for challenges obviously, great for that extra attack, especially in knight units with low numbers of attacks.
Only consideration with champs and banners is that the champion is killed last. So if you are taking a small unit it sucks to have your banner guy die and you lose the +1 combat res.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 04:04:51 AM »
@ peacemaker - nilla knights (vanilla even) were a common term used during 6th and 7th (and maybe even 8th) to refer to what GP was referencing.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,16212.0.html

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 06:37:42 AM »
@ peacemaker - nilla knights (vanilla even) were a common term used during 6th and 7th (and maybe even 8th) to refer to what GP was referencing.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,16212.0.html

Ah.
Im talking for English in general.
Im also biased since i like the taste of vanilla.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 02:27:34 AM »
Thanks to my wife i quite like a good vanilla milkshake.