home

Author Topic: Naming units and characters  (Read 10913 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Naming units and characters
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
I strongly agree with Victor regarding bad German (or bad Latin for that matter). But I would not be too punctillious. A warhammer pundit will always enjoy a finespun wordplay - as long as it is in good taste and moderation.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
The issue for me are usally the last names, as it is difficult to mess up the first name. Some examples:

o) Marius Leitdorf = fine with me
o) Aldebrand Ludenhof = (Erich) Ludendorff comes to my mind, which is not so great, as I don't really want to be reminded of real (historical) persons. Otherwise an ok attempt, as I like the first name (sounds noble and old).
o) Boris Todbringer = that's not a proper family name, but a byname at best. Boris Propername, "Der Todbringer" (The Bringer of Death)
o) Pieter Verstohlen (A spy from a BL novel) = No ... just no. (verstohlen translates to something like surreptitious, perfidious.)

A warhammer pundit will always enjoy a finespun wordplay - as long as it is in good taste and moderation.

But how often is that the case?  :icon_confused:

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »
Warlord Games has this thing where they make special miniatures that you can only get by buying a certain book from their webstore, in which case you get the special miniature for free as part of the order. For their flintlock-and-bayonet game Black Powder, that was Big Wullie, a Napoleonic Wars Highland grenadier, a massive beardy Scot. When they later released the 18th century supplement Last Argument of Kings, the accompanying miniature was Wee Wullie, a (much smaller) Scot from the Black Watch.

Then, one day, Pike & Shotte the pike and shot game happened, and sometime after that came The Devil's Playground, the Thirty Years War supplement. Apparently the Warlord guys didn't just want to settle for the slightly naughty penile innuendo inherent in the Wullies, so the accompanying special miniature was this... thing:

The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
The issue for me are usally the last names, as it is difficult to mess up the first name.

This is tradition though and one that stretches way back to the late 80's, the name of the wizard in Trollslayer is Zauberlich after all. On the nose puns can be a bit much but as Warlord brought up the Lizardmen book is perhaps worse.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
What's the thing with the Lizardmen book? Stupid nonsense mesoamerican?
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
Grymloq, Tiktaq'to (sic!) and other, pun-tastic names are all the rage among the Lizardmen. :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
Unfortunately the source that i use does not appear to be on the internet anymore "Gerry and Julie's landsknecht site",
a reenactors site ,so Hank from Seattle became Hendrich von Kinckelbach.info is based from :- The triumph of Maximillian, The world of Durer, The book of trades, Three Behaim Boys amongst other historical references.
Another sourcef or surnames is to get a large map of eastern Germany ( West Germany is too well known) using some of the smaller place names.

GENTLEMAN OF WAR

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »
Here is the new link to the Malleus name generator I mentioned earlier: http://malleus.dk/forge/warhammer-fantasy/name-generator/
You can also choose Kislev, Border Princes, Tilea and the Wasteland (amongst others).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »
o) Aldebrand Ludenhof = (Erich) Ludendorff comes to my mind, which is not so great, as I don't really want to be reminded of real (historical)

Perhaps it does want to refer to Ludendorff, but ,as it happens, there is also a historical Ludenhof (now Luua) in present day Estonia. The place was established as a manor named Pakuvere by the Schwertbrüderorden (the Livonian Brothers of the Sword , an ecclesiastical military order, founded in 1202). In 1519, the manor came into possession of the von Luden family, and was renamed Ludenhof.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 09:13:29 PM »
This is tradition though and one that stretches way back to the late 80's, the name of the wizard in Trollslayer is Zauberlich after all. On the nose puns can be a bit much but as Warlord brought up the Lizardmen book is perhaps worse.

That's my take as well. Mangled German names have always been part of the Empire in warhammer and it just fits so well with the mangling of real world history. Personally I enjoy the creative spelling more than the puns themselves. The 3rd edition warhammer armies book is a prime example.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)