home

Author Topic: The future of Fantasy, what is it ?  (Read 6353 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The future of Fantasy, what is it ?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 01:40:46 AM »
Thing is, if all mounted Bretonnian army isn't a feasible / competitive army, then its not balanced.

:engel:

Where do you think its heading Zyg?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 06:24:14 AM »
Thing is, if all mounted Bretonnian army isn't a feasible / competitive army, then its not balanced.

:engel:

Well, the bretbois are one thing. There's also great enthusiasm about a medieval style infantry+cavalry army, which the T9A KoE does very well.

But the bretbois are/were not the only ones to complain. And 'my army is weak' or 'I don't recognize my favorite troops in T9A' are not the only sources of complaints. Actually, the most fearsome thing is that people will simply stop complaining, stop giving their ideas, and just wait and see what comes out. Already there are thousands of T9A forum members who were active at an earlier point, but have now practically stopped visiting the forums. Some of them quite active at the time. This is normal for forums, and it's hard to say if it's an alarming trend or not, regarding the longevity of the whole project.

Where do you think its heading Zyg?

Uh, I don't know, really. Personally, I think there are two important things emerging atm.

1) The new army books should be balanced around the core strengths and core weaknesses of the armies. I read this as hc balancing. The rules team and army book teams have been quite good at it, so I have faith that this leads into an even better balanced game, with visibly different playstyles for all the different armies. But it will also change the armies, and we've seen how adverse to change the crowd is. The new 9th Scroll sheds some light on how the rules teams will approach this.

2) It's been almost two years now, with huge initial interest, great progress with the 0.1-1.1 editions, the 'big IP change' in the project direction in late 2016, total change of time schedules in 2016/17 (some might say vaporware), and now the decision to freeze the 1.3.4 until August-September. So it's been uphills and downhills all the time, and the number of members on the forum has grown from mere hundreds to over 11.000.

But this all seems to level now. My hunch is that it is only now that we are beginning to see the level and nature of the real, long-time community support. And it's of course thinner than in the early days, when things were new, proceeding at a mad speed, and the dividing line between the designers and the community was very fluid. The project is becoming more professional, the product more a product than a community brainstorm.

So, my only relevant prognosis is that we will see. T9A is living very interesting times at the very moment. Maybe after the 2.0 and the ETC (can't remember which is promised to come first), we'll all be in the clear as to what T9A wants to be, and will be.

But clearly, T9A remains to be the hot thing in the fantasy battles genre this year too.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 07:04:10 AM »
Maybe after the 2.0 and the ETC (can't remember which is promised to come first), we'll all be in the clear as to what T9A wants to be, and will be.
ETC in August.
1.9 beta for test by community should be published around that time, too, but no hard date was indicated.
The intent is to publish 2.0, as well as the 2 overhauled army books, demons and warriors, before Christmas. Again, intent, no hard date.
Following will be DE and Infernal Dwarfs.
In parallel, the background compendium should be published in similar (blurry) time frame.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
To me: all fantasy (and other model-based games) is dead.

I lack all motivation even to look at my blooody models, never mind paint them or use them.

The small skirmish games only interested me as preludes to larger battles in a campaign setting.
Nobody in my vicinity plays anymore.
I tried 3 attempts at doing a campaign and all three failed before a first battle.

Just can no longer be arsed.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
Did you go to Eurobash?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
Fight it, Shavixmir! Be an evangelical fantasy wargamer. Aim high, paint loads, cajole gamers to join you. Once you got them, never let go (this is what I did). Even if it takes you three weeks or more to get one of them on the phone to discuss their next moves, go for it anyway out of sheer stubborness. Even if you know you spend far too much precious time on it, for very little gaming at the end, go for it. Erm. Am I still selling the idea or have I put you off?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Leave the failure be.

He is just mirroring the decline in both Scottish and Dutch football, and their defeatist attitude where no-one's interested and nobody can be bothered .........................   

:closed-eyes:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 12:40:03 AM »
Fight it, Shavixmir! Be an evangelical fantasy wargamer. Aim high, paint loads, cajole gamers to join you. Once you got them, never let go (this is what I did). Even if it takes you three weeks or more to get one of them on the phone to discuss their next moves, go for it anyway out of sheer stubborness. Even if you know you spend far too much precious time on it, for very little gaming at the end, go for it. Erm. Am I still selling the idea or have I put you off?

Your results are great though.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 02:45:46 AM »
I'm with Padre ... and Winston, "Never, ever, ever, ever, ever give up."
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »

Quoting a musket toting Yorkshireman and an English Prime Minister to a rabid Scotsman may not be the brightest idea  :engel:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
Fantasy is dead to me too. Haven't seen a system with a story I want to be a part of, or gamers I want to associate with (Warmachine problems).

Haven't played a game in years, but still collect and paint sci-fi minis (Infinity).

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
Bah, fantasy is good and kicking! Tommorow I have a WFRP game and will ask my players to join me in a 6th edition lustria campaign. We have High Elves, Bretonnia, The Empire and Chaos. It will be fun. Or maybe we could play the Albion one. WFRP 4th edition is coming and TW: Warhammer makes more people interested in Warhammer and fantasy in general. It's not all doom and gloom.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
Quoting a musket toting Yorkshireman and an English Prime Minister to a rabid Scotsman may not be the brightest idea  :engel:
:icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2017, 02:44:22 AM »
I don't think fantasy is dead in all honesty. GW has brought back several things after being off the shelf for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if the currently discontinued stuff came back in a year or two

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »
I don't think fantasy is dead in all honesty. GW has brought back several things after being off the shelf for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if the currently discontinued stuff came back in a year or two

It would certainly be a very welcome sight indeed! :blush: Free Company boxes...
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 03:53:00 AM »
@Xathrod86
Hell yeah. The militia/free company box was the best damn kit GW ever made. If GW only produced Cadian and the Free company kits I'd be happy [not that there's anything wrong with all the other kits they make]

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »
@Xathrod86
Hell yeah. The militia/free company box was the best damn kit GW ever made. If GW only produced Cadian and the Free company kits I'd be happy [not that there's anything wrong with all the other kits they make]

Yeah, you could make stuff for any game - 40K, WFB, Mordheim, Necromunda... this box was a godsend. :blush:

Gneisenau