home

Author Topic: How'd Folks Get Their Start in the Hobby?  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: How'd Folks Get Their Start in the Hobby?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »
I must have multiple personalities then!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
I think we all know that to be true!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 08:28:15 AM »
I was just about to answer but then I turned into this personality and decided not to. Hang on ... doh!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
Several things which culminated over time in the hobby:
- visit to Waterloo as a kid, where I picked up some 1/72 plastic napoleonics that had instructions on the back to paint them. Proceeded to accumulate several more boxes and paint a good lot of them
- received the Hero Quest box and realised I could paint these too.
- bought more similar boardgames with 25mm fantasy figures, including Village of Fear, Legend of Zagor and Battlemasters and painted those too.
- found a white dwarf in a French newspaper shop in '93, bought it, read it from cover to cover (it had a great Empire vs Orcs and goblins battle report) and started dreaming of collecting them but didn't, at the time, know where to find some.
- bought some more white dwarfs whenever I found them.
- located a game store in '96 and made the plunge.

(- many thousands of figures later wished I didn't embark on that addictive path...)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »
Skaven players confirmed filth.

I started back in 98, pretty sure a year or two before that I picked up the little booklet ad they had at the time. It was really just a catalog with some pictures of different models in the midst of a battle, or just lined up. Blew my little kid mind and was hooked instantly.

Still fondly remember those first kits. The paint set with 6 Bret archers and a regiment of dwarf warriors. Gods above I put them together horribly, but it was one of the most enjoyable afternoons spent with my family that I can remember.

Now I could built a house out of the boxes of models I've accumulated. Every army (except tomb kings because my friend collected them and I didn't want to steal his ideas). Then in 50 years or so I should have painted a quarter or so...

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
Skaven players confirmed filth.

Destroy Kill the Manthing, fast quick!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 07:19:27 PM »
I think people with that type of personality choose Skaven. That said, I think the armylist itself makes players like that too. So even those with innocent intentions become like that.

I am his Godfather too. Perhaps it had been better to drown him in the font, than to let him suffer such a fate...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 08:51:30 PM »
I think people with that type of personality choose Skaven. That said, I think the armylist itself makes players like that too. So even those with innocent intentions become like that.

I am his Godfather too. Perhaps it had been better to drown him in the font, than to let him suffer such a fate...

Ha! Ha! Ha! 👆
Damn that made me laugh.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 11:25:48 PM »
I remember playing my first game not long after being introduced.
I played an Empire vs Bretonian game with my friend....who cheated....horribly. It didn't bother me too much as I had fun. Not long after I tried to assemble some Empire swordsmen and halberdiers in a closed space with humbrol oil paints