home

Author Topic: greatswords worth it or not  (Read 1863 times)

Offline blazing13

• Members
greatswords worth it or not
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »
not sure whether to use greatswords or not they just seem too expensive for what they do
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:03:57 AM by blazing13 »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: greatswords worth it or not
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:38:01 AM »
what!?! actual discussion about the game we all love(d)?  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

I think you are right from pure effectiveness point of view. Now, stubborn jives nicely with 'Hold the line' from a captain for a night unbreakable unit but, the damage output is underwhelming especially since you could put these points into more demigryphs. I still take greatswords from time to time. It doesn't get more Empire than those guys.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:17:49 AM »
Agree the Greatswords underperform somewhat.

I think they're a min or max unit. Take a big horde (a points sink), or take several minimum size units.

Try smaller units with detachments. Try putting the GS into narrow formations, like 3 wide. The idea is to tarpit the enemy with a small disposable Stubborn unit for a turn or two, so you have time to maneuver elsewhere.

If you're playing T9A, minimum units of Imperial Guard with Sword&Shield are passable stoppers - again with detachments and other units for flanking duty. But they need a character to become Stubborn (the Bodyguard rule), and that makes them again very expensive for the job.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »
Which game system are you talking? In 7th edition, i was a huge fan. 2 units of 15 were formidable as a stubborn tarpit, and could hit back decently well. If they made it onto a flank, you would be doing pretty well.

In 8th edition they were less good - buffed halberdiers were seen as more effective.

T9A i hear sword and board version are the best defensive block we can get.

AoS - I have no idea.

There are plenty of arguments about how juxtaposed their roles are because of their special rule and armour against their weapon choicr. I prefer the flexibility they allow - to be an offensive unit, or a defensive unit. But thats because I like MSU (multiple small units) rather than an expensive block.

They are great models though, regardless of the edition.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
Greatswords have suffered from the extra rank attacks that came in 8th edition. Poor armour and toughness makes stubborn less useful (because they die as easily as goblins), and always striking last compounds that disadvantage (because more of them will be dead before striking back). That is, unless they're facing a truly mediocre unit -- in which case, who's the tar pit then?

T9A i hear sword and board version are the best defensive block we can get.
Greatswords without greatswords aren't greatswords!
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:50:54 AM »
I found them a great unit for receiving chariot charges.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.