home

Author Topic: How do you paint zombie flesh? Share your zombie pics?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
How do you paint zombie flesh? Share your zombie pics?
« on: June 20, 2017, 07:06:42 AM »
Hi guys,
I have about 100 zombies, 20 dire wolves, a couple of corpse carts and some other things with rotting skin.
The rest of my Vampire Count army is pretty much done.
I want to know an easy way to paint their flesh. Base coat and wash is all i feel like doing... i have some of the old inks too, if it helps.
Thinking mainly the red fleshy colour, rather than a grey or blue...
Do any of you guys have any advice?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:55:38 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Brad

• Members
Re: How do you paint zombie flesh?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:29 PM »
Try a pale greenish-creamy sort of base colour with a purple ink wash?  I vaguely recall doing that to some BB zombies once.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:38:49 PM »
I've just bought the Core Zombie paint set by Army Painter.
They suggest spray thin base coat of Barbarian Flesh and paint up from there. Colours in box are Wasted Jeans . Mouldy clothes [mushy pea green]. Crusted Sore [scab red]. Dirt Spatter [earth]. Zombie Skin [desert sand]. Glistening Blood [bright red]. Dead Black [guess]. Brainmatter Beige [Old citadel Rotten flesh]. Filthy Suit [uniform grey] and finally Zombie Shader [dark brown wash].

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
I want to know an easy way to paint their flesh. Base coat and wash is all i feel like doing... i have some of the old inks too, if it helps.
Thinking mainly the red fleshy colour, rather than a grey or blue...

ordinary tanned skin + gore red wash? Maybe several layers of different washes, including purple, black and brown? Maybe even green?

To add little depth, maybe start with brown, then drybrush (or wetbrush) with tanned skin, and then apply the washes?

If you want a striking look, focus on the eyes, teeth and fingernails. Pale yellow, I'd say. A layer both before and after the washes.

Just ideas. Haven't tried this out yet. Have some hundred Zombies waiting. But they are old GW from the 90's or WK/TAG Landsknechts and Halflings, so obviously need some more attention with their puffed clothing and bits of armour.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:54:19 AM »
I didnit consider using multiple washes. Not a bad idea. Does anyone have examples of zombies they have painted, and how?

Flicking some brown ink / paint could be a cool idea for mud / dirt for freshly raised zombies. Hmmm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:56:25 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
Re: How do you paint zombie flesh? Share your zombie pics?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
I didnit consider using multiple washes. Not a bad idea. Does anyone have examples of zombies they have painted, and how?

Flicking some brown ink / paint could be a cool idea for mud / dirt for freshly raised zombies. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
I myself have gone in two very different directions for zombies over the last few years. Still can't decide which I like best ...

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
 Bloody hell Rick! Looks great and that Shrek... 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.