home

Author Topic: Huge game take aways  (Read 1798 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Huge game take aways
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
So we played a pretty big game last night.  1500 Chaos Marines and 1500 Orks (me) versus 1500 Tyranids and 1500 Marines.

My list:

1 Big mek with big choppa and KFF

25 Ork shoota boyz - nob with power klaw
12 Slugga boyz - nob with power klaw

4 Grot Tanks with 5 rokkits and 5 shootas

1 Morkanaut - KFF
1 Kill Tank - Bursta kannon, twin big shoota, skorcha

1 Dakkajet
1 Burnabomma - burna rokkits

The game as an absolute bloodbath. 

My remaining models:

1 Kill tank with 17 wounds remaining
2 Grot tanks
1 Burna Bomma
1 Mek with KFF

The rest of the models still on the table?

My partner:

9 Chaos Marines
3 chaos marines
1 Helldrake

Enemy marine player:

2 Devastators
6 Marines
1 Razorback
1 Chaplain (warlord)

Enemy Tyranid:

Nothing

So what worked and what didn't?

Kill Tank and Moranaut made for a brutal combination.  Two T8 high wound models was VERY hard to handle.  The enemy had to leave one entirely alone so they could try to stop the other.  It took three turns of continuous fire to bring down the morkanaut.  A total of 18 lascannon shots, 38 assault cannon shots, and countless devourer and deathspitter shots rained down on him.  He finally fell at the beginning of turn 4.  But he provided cover for the Kill Tank since it was able to act with impunity. 

The Kill Tank was the player of the game.  I ran it with a skorcha and twin big shoota plus the Bursta kannon.  THe Kannon was awesome.  Averaged 7-8 shots per turn and it brutalized vehicles every time it shot.   The damage it caused with charges was also impressive and was a great way to give it cover from return fire or to finish units (I killed the Marine warlord by running him over after shooting the marine unit with shooting that was wrapping him).

The Burna bomma was great.  It was able to kill 6 marines in one crater and 5 devastators in another crater next turn.  Mortal wounds are terrific in that way.  Its shooting was only so so though, with the plane picking off a few models here and there and really just chipping away at tougher things like the flying tyrant and vehicles.  That 5+ to hit with his super shootas and only having 6 shots isn't great.  I would suggest getting the burna rokkits though.  Its more shots and does add to its anti-troop capacity.  I have come around to thinking the burna bomma is the best choice for bomma.  You aren't going to bomb vehicles as a rule, not enough impact.  You will almost always use it on infantry, in which case the damage will be the same between both types of bombs.

Grot tanks were okay, but I found myself wishing they were killa kans.  They were faster than kans, and they had a spare rokkit because of the kaptain, but it wasn't enough to mitigate the dangers they faced as they were charged twice.  I had to charge a unit of ravagers at one point and it was a struggle.  If I had had kans, it would have wiped them out.  Similarly, they were twice charged by a tyrant.  If he had charged kans, it wouldn't have been nearly as hard.  He likely wouldn't have charged them at all. They are quite a lot cheaper than kans though.

Dakkajet did fine.  Nothing special, but it did pour out plenty of fire and chipped away at plenty of models.  Worked weill!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Huge game take aways
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
I'm getting the horrible feeling deafdreads and killer kans are not on the lists anymore? Please say it ain't so.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
I was just trying out some models I hadn't used yet in 8th.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
I like a lot of the new vehicle stuff, and its fun to see the burnna bomber doing good. I have to decide if I want to switch my tanks around or just keep it as is out of laziness. My Russ for the most part rock vanquishers, which just aren't a super strong choice now.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
Vanquishers are poor with the -1 to hit with most weapons and only one shot on turret gun

How did the boys do Philly?
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »
First turn the big boy unit had a trygon and thirty devourer termagaunt burst from the ground 9" away.  90 devourer shoes and 12 electro plasma shots later there were only 5 left.  Had to use two command points to prevent the unit from melting!

The game was an absolute blood bath.

First turn out predator exploded and did the following:

2 wounds to the death leaped, 1 to a Chaos sorcerer, 2 to a grot tank, 1 to the morkanaut, and 3 wounds to our defiler.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about the size of pizza/chinese/kebabs/whatever you order when gaming.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 07:59:58 AM »
most importantly Phil, did you guys had fun playing this edition?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Yes, I think 8th is a MASSIVE improvement over 7th.  It is smoother, you look at the rules about 90% less.  Just  better overall experience.