home

Author Topic: Orcyboy's hobby blog  (Read 31992 times)

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: Orcyboy's hobby blog
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »
 Last 10 Orcs finished.

Ten new recruits have wondered down the valley to join the infamous Mork's Mutilatorz gang.

Finished these guys last week and finally got them photo'd up. A little rushed but they still came out pretty good. The fella with the mohawk helmet is one of my favorites.

So that makes for a nice fat unit of thirty Orcs and no duplicates! Looks like the Mutilatorz gang is all set for a season of raiding a pillaging the local farmsteads.

OK, on to the next project. I think my goblins need some attention now.

Bye for now-

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 12:51:56 AM »
Awesome! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 02:24:40 AM »
Awesome! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

What he said plus incredible!👆
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 03:07:43 AM »
 Goblin slingers
Well things got a bit bust around here and these guys took a bit longer to get finished then I had expected, but better late then never.

While rummaging through my considerable number of un-painted gobbos a few months ago I found I had 8 slingers in the mix and that got me thinking. Add a command and we're at 11 and I just need 9 more to make a proper unit. After a few conversions and a couple oddballs tossed in I've got myself a proper unit of 20 Gobbo slingers.

As far as I can tell there were only three slingers released in the main Goblin line or at least thats all I can find in the 1988 catalog. The one in the middle and the right must be fairly common as I have multiples of them. I also have to admit I've always had a soft spot for the one in the middle ever since I spotted him in the Heroes for Wargames book years ago.

A few of the oddballs. The fella on the left is a 40k grot I'll probably replace if I come across something more suitable. The gob in the middle is a pre-slotta goblin with sling and fits in fine.  The grinning fella on the right, well I suspect he has a sling he just got a little confused when the boss told him to put his rocks in it (or maybe he knows exactly what he's doing idk).

A few minor conversions. I must have a dozen of the Marauder MM30 goblin with club (middle) and converted a handful for this project.

The boss is one of my favorites from the Kevin Adams line of gobbos. A simple sculpt but the mutton chops and mustache lends him a natural air of authority (the spiked club helps too).

I also managed to paint up a Goblin shaman from the old Heartbreaker line I believe.

That's it for now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:41:41 AM by orcyboy »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 04:26:16 AM »
Very cool.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 07:28:21 AM »
I like that rock & roll salute flag :eusa_clap:

Offline poboom

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »
Looking good! Love the classic models with a more modern paintjob! :)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
I like the unit of slingers! :eusa_clap: :icon_biggrin:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 05:44:42 AM »
Hello again,

Finished up this here regiment of Heartbreaker goblins and despite the numbers and lack of diversity I quite enjoyed them.  I believe these are all Kevin Adams sculpts and for the most part quite nice if a bit heavily armored for goblins.

Normally when painting large units containing mostly the same miniatures I try and vary the color of skin tones, armor and clothes etc but for these guys I just painted them pretty much all in uniform and glad I did.  I actually found it relaxing plugging away at these guys without having to put much forethought into each of them. The bases were a slog to paint though.

42 nasty well armed and armored goblins.

The bulk of the regiment is made up these two fellas. Very difficult to rank up, unfortunately I had to split the unit pretty much down the middle to get them to rank up.

All of these guys are of course metal, with the exception of the one below on the left. I got him with Impact Miniatures recent kickstarter re-producing most of the old Heartbreaker models in resin or rather some kind of plastic/resin.  He's not actually an exact copy of the original as he has armored boots and a flame etched onto his blade.

I do have about a dozen gobbos made up of these guys to help break up some of that tedious uniformity.

The command. A little bit of a skull fetish..

So onto the next project.
I think I'll be working on sorting out my wolf riders. I believe I now have enough metal wolves to get things moving along. The only thing I hate more than the old plastic wolves is the old plastic boars. But anyhow I should now have enough metal wolves to swap out my 90's wolf riders with proper mounts.

Bye for now!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 07:14:24 AM »
Love what you've done with gobbos. That's a beautiful (and nasty, and probably inefficient) unit!  :laugh:

Looking forward to see more of your work with the greenskins. Good oldschool style minis & painting.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
Awesome old school goblins. :::cheers:::  Do you know if it is possible to still get the heartbreaker goblins anywhere?  They remind me of the black tree design goblins I need to paint someday.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 05:54:37 PM »
I love seeing all the old Kev Adams gobbos and old school orcs.   :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

I do wish I would have bought the orc drunks and villagers when they were the new thing...  Then I hated the sulpts, now I think they are great.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the gobos on wolves! :icon_biggrin:

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »
Awesome old school goblins. :::cheers:::  Do you know if it is possible to still get the heartbreaker goblins anywhere?  They remind me of the black tree design goblins I need to paint someday.

Yeah, they're still around. Impact Miniatures sells them in sets caste in resin and Ral Partha Europe still has them available in metal.  They fit in fine with the Harliquin/Black Tree Design Goblins. Though I swear Black Tree Design had a much larger selection of Goblins 8-10 years ago but their catalog has shrunk over the years.

http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=heartbreaker
http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/heartbreaker-miniatures-28mm-c-115/

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 07:04:44 PM »
I love seeing all the old Kev Adams gobbos and old school orcs.   :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

I do wish I would have bought the orc drunks and villagers when they were the new thing...  Then I hated the sulpts, now I think they are great.

I didn't like the villagers back in the day either.  I just started acquiring them inadvertently in Orc lots off ebay and then they grew on me.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
These oldschool models are gnarly. With your superb paintjob, they're truly outstanding. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »
I finished up my Goblin rocket team or rather "skyrocket" as its refereed to in 3rd edition. Nice little model, easy to paint up which provided a quick little interlude while I sort out and clean up all my wolf riders.

I'm a little at odds with a couple of the goblins, while I like the miniatures in general Im not too keen on the binoculars and goggles a little too WoW for me.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
Really lovely work! Those old goblins had so much character!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 12:35:47 PM »
Nah, the mini binocs and goggles are gobliny!  I like it when O&G has a bit of humor to them.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »
Mate I only paint metal from now on , it's the only way , love this work
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »
Finally got these guys done. 18 Goblin wolf riders.

These guys for now will be the core of my Goblin cavalry. Kitted out with light armor, spears and shields they are the closest thing my Goblins have to heavy cavalry.

I still have a couple more units of wolf riders to complete but for now they'll have to wait until after Orctober.

The charge of the Doom Dogs!

Now to rummage up something more Orcy for Orctober.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:01:05 AM by orcyboy »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2018, 06:34:39 AM »
Boy they look good!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members