home

Author Topic: WK's Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 37728 times)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Horde Imp added (update 26/7)
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
Evil Horde - Imp

Imp is Hordak's spy, spying on both Horde and Rebellion members, making him disliked by all. His abilities include flight and shape shifting. He can shape shift into numerous different forms, seemingly without limitations. Most times he will retain his natural blue colouring, but has shown on occasion that he can assume different colouring when in another form. In addition, he also seems to possess the ability to take on the characteristics of whatever form he takes, as illustrated when he transformed into a working flamethrower, nearly burning down the Whispering Woods, or when he transforms into a laser blaster and can fire laser bolts while in this shape.

The model is a great sculpt done by Fancagne Didier. My main issue with it being that it's so tiny, around 12mm, that it was becoming hard to paint. As such, it's not my best paintjob, but it looks good enough to the naked eye when it's not blown up like in these pictures.

The Imp and his master:

The painted members of the Horde so far:

A comparison between Imp and Orko, that other flying sidekick:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2020, 04:11:12 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2020, 04:10:49 AM »
I found it funny that most of the great rebellion members looked like extras from a Robin Hood movie yet lived on a sci fi world

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2020, 06:50:25 AM »
That blue imp reminded me of and old Disney movie. I'm not sure which one though!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2020, 08:25:34 AM »
That blue imp reminded me of and old Disney movie. I'm not sure which one though!

He does have that look about him.

I found it funny that most of the great rebellion members looked like extras from a Robin Hood movie yet lived on a sci fi world

It's the same with the He-Man cartoon. You have Conan the Barbarian style heroes and villains, mixing with Star Wars level characters and science. It's an odd mix of tech and magic, where primitive elements survive next to advanced technology.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Brightmoon Guards added (update 1/8)
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
Great Rebellion - Bright Moon Guards with Staffweapon

https://motu-wargames.blogspot.com/2020/08/great-rebellion-bright-moon-guards-with.html

While everyone remembers the orange and green Eternos Guard, Bright Moon Palace had its own elite guards, aptly named the Bright Moon Guard. Armed with sphere tipped energy weapons, they are ready to hold their own against the Evil Horde.

Having given a lot of thought to the representation of diversity in MotU off late, I decided to paint one of the guards in a darker skintone. This was my first try at the Foundry African flesh triad and while I initially had my reservations, the final result does look good. I did make a small mistake that I'll likely correct when I paint some reinforcements for them is that the rim underneath the sphere should be the colour of the staff. Oh well, it doesn't bother me too much (is what I tell myself).

The Bright Moon Guards as shown on the original She-Ra cartoon:

A couple of Bright Moon guards bravely try to hold off Hordak and his Horde Troopers until the heroes arrive:

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2020, 03:57:35 PM »
It’s strange how a different skin colour changes how a figure looks – It took me a while before I convinced myself that they were wearing the same uniform.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2020, 06:16:49 AM »
Shuki Levi wrote the music number which appears at the start of the He-man/She-ra 5 parter/'movie'

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Neptul added (update 2/8)
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
Overlord Forces - Neptul

https://motu-wargames.blogspot.com/2020/08/overlord-forces-neptul.html

One of the coolest villains to come out of the Blackstar cartoon, and one of the few toy characters that made it into the cartoon, is, in my opinion, Neptul. Aside from having has his own host of merfolk to command, he looks like the offspring of Cthulhu and Merman. I just knew I had to add him to the lineup. I figure in the expanded universe, he could be a sort of right hand man to Merman, adding his people to the different underwater tribes at Merman's beck and call.

Neptul and his warriors, as they appeared in the cartoon

Did I mention I hate panting orange? I really do and so many of these characters and troops seem to have it. I tried a different approach on this one and I sort of like how it came out. Still. Orange.

Overlord and Neptul together. Looks a bit like they're singing a duet.

Neptul facing Blackstar

Well met He-Man. Merman sends his regards.

All the Blackstar figures for now...

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2020, 11:03:16 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:58 AM »
I used to have a Transformers video which featured mermaid people [mer-men]. I recall their king was called Nur-gill [and yes, he was fat and green]

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »
Duuude make a 40k army with these guys lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Sorceress added (update 7/8)
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »
Heroic Warriors - The Sorceress

The Sorceress, mystical guardian of the secrets of Castle Grayskull and one of my favourite character designs coming out of the Filmation cartoon. With a vast knowledge of magic and history, she is among the wisest beings on Eternia. He-Man often seeks her counsel. The Sorceress demonstrates saintly qualities such as humility and often appears to other characters who are in need of guidance. While powerful in her own rights, her powers are tied to Castle Grayskull and weaken when she leaves its walls. When she does need to travel, though, she generally assumes the form of the falcon  Zoar. Her real name is Teela-Na and she is secretly the mother of Teela.

The model is another Quest Miniature and one of the last of that range to have been sculpted by Boris Woloszyn. The base is my usual flagstone sculpting over a blank lipped base.

Keeping watch on top of the walls of Grayskull

With her evil Anti-Eternia counterpart

With her minicomic counterpart (left) and secret daughter (right)

Protecting Grayskull from the forces of evil

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »
very nice !! I see that Wal-mart has come out with a MOTU collection, they are much nicer sculps than the originals but they stay true to the original paint style and look.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2020, 11:48:05 PM »
Its funny that some things that were meant to be short lived toy commercials became so ingrained in pop culture they never really died

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Moss-Man added (update 8/8)
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »
Heroic Warriors - Moss-Man
Moss-Man is a man, made of moss. He lives in the Evergreen Forest in harmony among the animals and plants. His power is to camouflage into foliage and other green areas, as well as control all plant life. He's not exactly a favourite, but kind of has to be there.

The model is made by Quest Miniatures and was one of the first models that wasn't done by Boris Woloszyn. While not bad per se, the model turned out a bit small and lacking much detail. In the Filmation cartoon, Moss-Man was rather bulky, so I decided to experiment a bit with it and try to add some bulk by emulating the main feature of the toy figure: flock. It's not quite the result I was going for, and I wouldn't have done this if the figure had held a bit more interest, but he'll do. I think. Whatever, it's a walking moss patch.

Hanging out with his pal He-Man.

About to unleash nature's fury on some of Skeletor's goons

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »
YES!!! hahaha love it

that was my Military nick name  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2020, 12:19:52 AM »
I used to subscribe to Toyfare magazine
ANYWAY; in one nonsensical letter, someone had complained about how his apartment smelt like Mossman

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - More Bright Moon Guards added (update 9/8)
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »
Thanks. No pine scent was added to this one.  :-D

Thanks for the encouragement, gentlemen. I like him a bit more with some distance.
No pine scent I'm afraid. ;)

Great Rebellion - Bright Moon Guards with Laserguns

My second set of Bright Moon guards, this time armed with some firepower. I strongly considered painting these in the same blue uniform as the earlier ones, but my compulsion to stick to canon representation won out and I painted them in the orange and red uniform from the She-Ra cartoon, despite my misgivings about yet another troop type sporting mostly orange clothes. The orange and red doesn't offer much contrast with the skintone either, contrary to the light blue, so I did end up regretting my decision.

The two divisions of the Bright Moon guard, side by side:

Taking on some Horde Troopers:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2020, 05:24:11 PM »
dude you totally need to do a 40k army with these figures haha
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2020, 09:26:27 PM »
Odd seeing Eternians with pants

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2020, 03:11:20 PM »
Strictly speaking you haven't, as the Brightmoon guards are Etherians.  :engel:

Offline kublai

• Members
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »
Amazing stuff :-D

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Scareglow added (update 14/11)
« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2020, 05:46:35 PM »
Evil Warriors - Scareglow, evil ghost of Skeletor

https://motu-wargames.blogspot.com/2020/11/evil-warriors-scareglow-evil-ghost-of.html

Scareglow is a skeletal ghost warrior who serves Skeletor. He seems to have a solid but translucent body with his bones emitting a strong glow in the dark, which can intimidate even the bravest opponents. He wears a long purple cape and carries a halberd.

The model is slightly re-imagined to show a Scareglow as he might have looked in the Filmation style, which matches the bulk of my collection.

Now this looks ominous...

One of the things that made the original Scareglow model stand out, besides looking badass, is that his body was made from glow in the dark plastic. While such a feature has no practical use for a miniatures collection, it still needed to be attempted. I purchased my first glow in the dark paints and used them on his body and halberd. It was interesting to discover the glow in the dark paint is transparant and goes over a regular paintjob. It only really works on a clear base colour, so I had to abandon my plans for glowing red eyes (as I wanted them to look red in normal light too). It worked okay on the light green halberd. The reason the glow looks a bit uneven in places is because the model is shaded and highlighted and the glow is less strong on the shaded parts. Still, as a gimmick done for fun, the result is satisfactory. I should also keep in mind it hasn't had a chance yet to soak up a few hours of sunlight for a stronger glow.

Skeletor summoned Scareglow from across space and time...

Careful, he looks dangerous...

I don't know where you came from, but you will find Eternia is no easy conquest!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: WK's Masters of the Universe - Scareglow added (update 14/11)
« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
That glow effect is really effective actually, whose paint did you use?