home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 65921 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
I don't know why GW initially included 12 warriors and 8 minors. I guess the guys making the models felt the rank size was still going to be 4 models, but 7th used 5. So I did take away 2 warriors and added 2 minors to round them out better, but yeah I agree the Dwarves might need another rank of warriors.

I never thought of that, but it makes a LOAD of sense.
Yeah - I think if you get the warriors up to 15 it will help.

Regarding the High Elf starter - yeah I don’t believe it is a legal list in a few ways. Not enough core and Griffon requiring Lord choice.

Yeah when I first got into the hobby, I didn’t notice mould lines. Now I seem to spend a lot of time removing it from everything. It does take a long time assembling - I collected a LOT towards the end, and spent a couple of nights a week assembling for a year and still have tons unassembled. Its kinda immobilising. But wouldn’t get rid of it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2020, 11:11:14 AM »
Was the Elves and Skaven in Island of Blood even legal lists at the time?? I know in 40k about that time they were letting you play pretty much whatever you wanted, but the Elves seem to lack the 2 core minimum (I don't know - I dont have the 8th edition army book)

The Elf models did not form a 'legal list'. Also, the forces in the box weren't not balanced at all, something which the local GW personnel actually pointed to me at the time. The Elven force was much much more efficient, and would cost more points in the proper game. So a very good starter for an Elven force, barely scratching the surface for a Skaven force. But I guess it shows that at GW people still felt the models and toying were the most important part of the hobby, and playing the game came after that.

BTW I did get some tutorials games in using Skull Pass. -- -- I don't know why GW initially included 12 warriors and 8 minors. I guess the guys making the models felt the rank size was still going to be 4 models, but 7th used 5.

Skull Pass was published in 2007, and I'm totally sure the figures were skulpted within the two previous years, so 2005 the earliest. WHF had moved to 5-wide units already in the early 6th ed, IIIRC no later than 2003.

I would again guess that GW people felt models and toying were important in a starter box, and playing 'properly' was something that would come later. It would also drive sales, if the Dwarf players would need at least one more box to pump up their unit sizes. You wouldn't know about the proper or efficient unit sizes before you bought the army book anyway.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #452 on: May 14, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
Not surprising they'd do that.  In fact even in the 6th edition starter set with Empire and Orcs, the Empire spear block was 16 figures plus 3 command.  With 18 figures, ya had to buy something if you wanted a 20 figure unit, 4x5 for 6th edition or 5x4 for a 7th edition block.

If ya decided to go do 8th edition (not my cup of tea), then ya'd really need more figures. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #453 on: May 02, 2021, 06:43:43 PM »
Hi everyone, been a long time and thought I would update what's been going on in my hobby the last year.

First of all, the pandemic might be one of the best things that ever happened to me. I know its certainly been terrible for a lot of people, but I got to work from home, focus on my personal life and take care of a lot of things around the house in ways that normally was impossible. Would have taken me a few years to accomplish what I have the last year on a more normal schedule, so glad I was fortunate to take advantage of it.

So one of the things I did was focus on my hobby stuff. Last we left off, I was sorting through what I wanted/needed from my Warhammer armies. I have to be honest, I haven't done a whole lot for WFB, but what I did to inspired me to do the kind of the same with 40k and its been a fun ride.

One of the things I did with WFB that I had done with 40k was buy too much stuff. I was blown away by much of what I saw, and figured get it while it was available. And surprisingly, I was lucky to get it all just in time. I am stunned at the prices on ebay or even GW as I am sure many of you are. Also, in a year where I had a ton of time, I still couldn't find time to paint. I love building, but painting is something that takes all the planets to line up a certain way. I essentially set aside a lot of time to build properly, give a coat of primer, then set the models aside to hang out in purgatory until I get inspired to paint.

One of the realizations I made was how much I like the starter sets. I almost got rid of the 7th and 8th sets (but keeping the models) when I decided to focus on 6th as my core rules, and are so glad I didn't. I really view all the starters as gems now, and they are really where my collection revolves around now, as opposed to the Battalion sets as they once had. I even hunted down 1st and 2nd edition to see what they are about.

I also found little things over the year I didn't know about. Like the Island of Blood novel and the metal Prince on foot. I found him by accident. Some of you might remember I had made a Prince on foot to go with the one on the Griffon, but I really liked the idea of having one that REALLY matched. I also made a copy of the shield and used it for the version on horse.

Anyway, I am using the book to inspire me on what I do with the set (same with the Skull Pass novel for 7th), and this actually had a dramatic effect on my 40k interest. I have been in and out of 40k since Rogue Trader, some editions I was really into, others I completely skipped. I had accumulated way too many models, in addition to the Battleforce sets.

So how do I re-organize? Clean out some space? Decide what to keep and not? Well, I was really influenced by this post off of Tale of Painters:

https://taleofpainters.com/2014/05/showcase-completed-2nd-edition-boxed-set/

where Garfy had painted up an old school 2nd edition set as it would have looked back in the day. And since I had played a great deal of 2nd edition myself back in the day, I thought this was amazing. I too, had acquired another 2nd ed starter some time ago, but hadn't done much with it buy a bunch of additional models.

So it really got me thinking. I took a long look at the starter, and even after setting aside the expansions Dark Millenium and Storm of Vengeance, as well as all the codexes, there is a lot to this starter. It came with a scenario pack, which I wish all starters would, and the mission cards. I realized I probably could do just what Garfy had done, adding a few other models, like the Space Marine captain they released a few years ago based on the one on the cover of the box, and I would be set. I would have enough to enjoy the personal nostalgia of working on the models of this era, and if I ever played the game, I wouldn't be bogged down with a bunch of rules spread out over a bunch of books. Just keep things basic, like the original set did.

And it was like being hit by lightning. I sold off a lot of stuff, even a pretty big metal Squat army. Just focusing on what came in the box and is mentioned in the scenario pack. I do have a 2nd ed era Eldar force I am keeping though. I even hunted down a MIB Rogue Trader Battlewagon since its mentioned in the scenario pack too. I have always wanted one of them and never really had a reason to get it. Added a metal Ork Dreadnought from that era to replace the card one that came in box, as well as added the plastic Dreadnought from Black Reach since its also mentioned in the scenario pack.

Anyway, the last year I not only hunted down the remaining starters I either had and got rid of, or never got in the first place, like 8th edition, or the original Imperial Marines and Space Ork sets for Rogue Trader. I actually bought the smaller sets first if they existed, like First Strike, not knowing if I was going to like the newer stuff. I was really surprised how much I liked them. The 8th edition starter is one of the best starters GW has ever made, but I also really like First Strike. Its a fun little game, nice rulebook, and add some datasheets of some characters and you have a great little game.

I also hunted down Battle for Macragge (which I did have back in the day but got rid of), Assault on Black Reach (which I never got), and picked up Indomitus. I want to say how blown away I was by Black Reach. I had never seen the models in person till last year, and was blown away by the Orks. The starter comes up super lite on learning how to play or scenarios, but I really liked the models. I do think what GW is doing as far as splitting up the sets across beginner and veterans is the way to go, even if I end up buying both.

The idea was I was going to do the same thing I had done for WFB: focus on getting the most out of the starters. So I bought whatever additional items that came out in support of the sets, like 'The Battle Rages On' for 4th edition - which is a GREAT expansion book for the starter, as well as Citadel's fortified position that is used in that book that was released around that time. I also grabbed things like the Objective Sets that were released for 8th and 9th, the Open war cards, etc. Even when it came to terrain, I used the getting started or white dwarfs of the day for inspiration. So for example, in my 3rd edition set, I have several of the original Gothic buildings that came out back then, but for 5th and 6th, I built smallish buildings using the Imperial Sector set. Of course I would have saved a lot of money using the same terrain for each, but I really wanted to capture the look and feel of the time period for each of these sets. I even kept the card building trays from 8th Know No Fear and 9th Command Edition to use. (1) it holds things in the box, and (2) gives me a larger piece of terrain. I know many would look down at me using both cardboard and plastic terrain features, but again, I am trying to capture the spirit of the game and they were included so why not.

Also what influenced me were the new carboard tiles to play on, especially from Kill Team. Years ago I would have scoffed at these. I had a Primaris Quadrant waiting to be painted and there was no way I would think of playing on cardboard before that. But then I noticed the Kill Team ones, the variety, and realized how many looked fine if you put the same ones side by side, like the Wall of Martyrs, or even many of the city ones. And rather than playing on a dedicated gaming table, I can just play on my kitchen table. I don't even play large games anymore - more like the combat patrol or slightly larger, so I didn't even need the 6x4 custom table I made. So I recently sold off the Quadrant set on ebay for a surprising $500. In return I bought the Moon Base Klasius set, added Ryza buildings from Kill Team Fronteris, and I love it.

So now when you open one of my starters, it looks something like these:

Each contains all of the models that came in the starters (or mini starters in case of 8th), as well as some terrain from the time period. I just put 2 or 3 of the cardboard tiles together, add the terrain in the box, and maybe some other stuff I have. The important thing is that everything can be stored in the starter, so even the buildings are either assembled small enough to fit in the box, or if I am really lucky, don't require glue like 9th, and I can just take them apart for storage. And since I don't have any vehicles larger than a Rhino, I don't need huge buildings. Its def a packed fit with little room to spare, but I make it work.

This has changed everything about how I collect games now. Everything is based around the contents of the starter. I'll buy any tokens, novels, whatever that helps me get the most out of the starter. And the beautiful thing is that GW mixes up who comes in the starters, so I have variety. I prob would never have bought the new Necron models before this, so I am happy they came in the starter, as its just enough to satisfy my curiosity, yet keep me from spending a ton of money on an army I prob would normally not be interested in playing.

I also think that the rules are the best when dealing what is in the starter - meaning that as the edition goes on longer, the more imbalance occurs, and before long everyone is complaining about what a mess the system is. Or how someone might be disappointed that their 2000 point Dark Eldar army is useless now. I avoid all of that. And to be honest, by the time I actually finish painting everything, playing enough of the game to get bored of the scenario packs or Open War cards, I have another edition with other armies to play with. Its actually a fun trip down memory lane.

None of my close friends are gamers, but I have been able to get in a couple of games in with 2 of them and I can probably get them to play once every 3 months or so. So I really don't need a lot anyway. A couple of Kill Team tiles, a starter set, and thats usually it. Keep it short and sweet.

I know I am leaving a lot out of the hobby, and have no business playing against a real 40k fan who has Knights and flyers, but in my little world, I have a manageable collection that doesn't take up space, and I can get rid of a lot of the extras I no longer have any need for. And that is something that GW excels in - getting you to buy shit you really don't need or will ever use.

And by the time I finish whats in these starters, 10th edition will be out.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #454 on: May 02, 2021, 09:14:11 PM »
Seems like a good way to do it, congrats!  And welcome back! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #455 on: May 02, 2021, 09:15:50 PM »
Welcome back!
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #456 on: May 02, 2021, 11:48:52 PM »
Sounds like a new plan! Welcome back 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #457 on: May 03, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »
Welcome back. I don't think i could refine my collection to any less than i have now (at 3,600 models) because we play at 3,200 points and i play as fluffy of lists as i can, so i don't have units that just collect dust. Good for you to be able to do that though

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #458 on: May 03, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
Thanks all.

Welcome back. I don't think i could refine my collection to any less than i have now (at 3,600 models) because we play at 3,200 points and i play as fluffy of lists as i can, so i don't have units that just collect dust. Good for you to be able to do that though

Man those size games are long gone for me. How long does it take to play out a game that size?

I’m really trying hard to find a happy medium where I can have some fun with the hobby, yet not accumulate so much stuff.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #459 on: May 03, 2021, 10:09:44 PM »
When I was playing WFB, 6th & 7th, I mostly played 500 points with Warband rules), and 1,000, 1250, or 1500 points, quick, easy and breezy.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #460 on: May 03, 2021, 11:49:41 PM »
I recently bought all the White Dwarfs that were released the same time as each edition of 40K was released to check out the coverage, and I think it was for 5th edition, I couldn’t nailed the exact issue so I bought a few and in those were the Warband rules. I managed to get all of the articles. Very excited about that. I knew about Skirmish but I think Warband is better. Will def try that out at some point.

Where did the Back Table go? Did you guys move it?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #461 on: May 04, 2021, 12:22:42 AM »
Grutch told us to drink somewhere else  lol. Lot of trash on that thread for sure
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #463 on: May 04, 2021, 12:58:37 AM »
Did someone piss him off?

Is it gone for good or coming back another time?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #464 on: May 04, 2021, 01:33:03 AM »
There are some things in life that are best let go.

- - -

So ... how much gaming have you been getting in during the public health issue KTG :icon_question:

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #465 on: May 04, 2021, 06:36:10 AM »
Thanks all.

Man those size games are long gone for me. How long does it take to play out a game that size?

I’m really trying hard to find a happy medium where I can have some fun with the hobby, yet not accumulate so much stuff.

Takes about three hours to play a game that size. Not terrible. We occasionally play 7,400 a side as well, takes about six hours and we will have four people playing. I like the big stuff on the table, so under 2k doesn't really interest me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #466 on: May 04, 2021, 01:25:38 PM »
how much gaming have you been getting in during the public health issue KTG :icon_question:

I got in a little. We played Epic Space Marine (v2) a couple of months ago, rather, two of my friends played against each other and I taught the rules. I have to be honest Epic was my first love and has really been the default game of mine for most of my gaming life, but not having played it in awhile, I was embarrassed that I had to keep looking up rules, and there aren't a lot! Some games have a ton of rules and I just don't think I can do those now. But I am not sure the game has aged well. I thought it was always amazing, but now feel some of the mechanics are a real drag.

Which worries me about even trying WFB. I was reading the 6th rulebook appendix and came across Clipping. I still struggle trying to determine how units line up to fight when coming from angles, and none of the diagrams really help. Some times I see units line up completely, others I see they are mostly lined up. Nothing is ever consistent in the examples as far as I am concerned.

I think the only way forward would be to play against a veteran warhammer player, but I don't know any.

So I have been sticking with what I know. I have the feeling that WFB is going to become a model hobby versus a gaming hobby.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #467 on: May 04, 2021, 02:19:43 PM »
Perhaps some of it comes down to what a person wants to do, and then creating a path to have that happen.

Rules that are currently being released across the hobby seem to be more towards the less complex side of things.  The idea is to have game mechanics allow for a quick style of gaming, finishing games in 2 to 3 hours, maybe 4 at the most.

When I look at something like the ever expanding codexes of 40K, there's just no way to keep up with it unless a person focuses only on it.  My interests to to be more varied, so with something like 40K the aim is to keep my interest to several codexes to have it be manageable.

I look at games more as story developing/telling devices, an opportunity to use what I've been working on with the modeling/painting aspect of the hobby, and as a way to be social with people along the way.  As an example, picking a set of rules like Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant keeps things relatively manageable.

My sense is your idea of keeping figures to the starter sets is another way to keep things manageable.  The issue then becomes what rules to use, yet even with things like Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant, they too have things that could be better, and that means adapting the rules to make it suitable to your view of flowing could be good.

Things like WFB and 40K are in a way like a language, and the idea is to have something that can be used across borders so to speak.  However, what also seems important is to have a way to find enjoyment in your own local area, and that brings us back to what is it we want to do.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #468 on: May 07, 2021, 07:53:00 PM »
Ok today is the big day. I finally bought the last thing on my wishlist, and don't need to buy another thing for a long long time. I imagine the next purchase I get will either be 40k 10th edition, or the new Old World Fantasy starter if there is one.

I tracked down an old Citadel Gaming Mat. I've used a few different mats in my days, and my default gaming table is 4x4 and actually folds up, so the mat that I mounted on it has a crease in the middle. I had thought of replacing it, but then got sidetracked with all the Kill Team boards I liked, which were for 40k, only to realize I had nothing in that form for fantasy.

I looked online at a few manufacturers that make mats in all different forms, but I couldn't find a grassy one that I liked. I just really wanted a plain grassy one without a lot of details. At any rate, I didn't want to buy one from Russia for example only to get it and not like it, so I kept looking and discovered GW released a mat back in 2010 that was highly rated. So I grabbed one. It wasn't cheap, but what else is these days.

I am not intending to permanently mounting it to a board, and it is kind of too big (6x4) for what I prefer (4x4), so I guess I will just lay it over whatever surface I am playing on. Here's a mock up using the Skull Pass set, since their art is featured on the cover of the box.

Anyway, I do approve of it. I was able to quickly iron out some creases. If I had bought these back in the day when they were cheaper, I would have def stocked up and permanently mounted one on a table.

You'll notice some hills. Yes I bought those recently too. Old GW hills. I had some old ones, the ones that came flocked, but kind of liked these more, so sold off the others and got these. These were already painted and a couple already flocked, but I was able to remove the flock and just gave a light primer over the previous paint job, which looked more like a wash. Kinda big, but I like them.

So, between the mat, the river and lake sets I got some time ago, a stone bridge I think is from Bolt Action, a Manor (which I have still yet to even assemble), the Garden of Morr, and 5 sets of the old Citadel wood I grabbed before they were discontinued, I think I can safely say I have all I need for a proper WFB battle.

So this is it. I got all the starters I wanted, the battalion sets and other supporting units, generals, wizards, and battle standards for all, I am finally done.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #469 on: May 07, 2021, 08:21:01 PM »
Also, I wanted to add that I looked into using Warcry boards for fantasy, but they were too noisy for what I wanted. And I even gave them some consideration for Mordheim, but they just seem a little over the top for that. I do love the grassy look of a flocked fabric mat, but I would have been fine with fold up cardboard tiles too. There is no going back for me on those for 40k.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #470 on: May 08, 2021, 03:24:34 AM »

Will prob never try them out, but I like collecting old stuff like this.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #471 on: May 08, 2021, 03:54:39 AM »
Excellent!

Recall when I was in college seeing the white one in a hobby store in Maine.  I'd taken a local public shuttle mini bus into Bangor from Orono, as I periodically did.  I recall looking at it for a good bit before purchasing a few Citadel figures, two "barbarian" figures that I still have, and they are on hex bases.  I never got the rules, it seemed more like a roleplaying game at the time, and I was already playing and GMing AD&D 2nd edition, and after having previously done basic D&D and 1st Edition AD&D.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #472 on: May 08, 2021, 04:13:56 AM »
Yeah it seems 1ed is really generic. 2nd has some back story on races, but I guess its not till 3rd that the Warhammer world starts getting really fleshed out and I don't have that book yet. Its on the list of things to do.

I totally intend to play a game of Rogue Trader with my Imperial Beakies and Space Orks,  I imagine I'll try to do the same with WFB 3rd. I hear good things about it.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #473 on: May 10, 2021, 08:31:28 AM »
Ok today is the big day. I finally bought the last thing on my wishlist, and don't need to buy another thing for a long long time. I imagine the next purchase I get will either be 40k 10th edition, or the new Old World Fantasy starter if there is one.

I tracked down an old Citadel Gaming Mat. I've used a few different mats in my days, and my default gaming table is 4x4 and actually folds up, so the mat that I mounted on it has a crease in the middle. I had thought of replacing it, but then got sidetracked with all the Kill Team boards I liked, which were for 40k, only to realize I had nothing in that form for fantasy.

I looked online at a few manufacturers that make mats in all different forms, but I couldn't find a grassy one that I liked. I just really wanted a plain grassy one without a lot of details. At any rate, I didn't want to buy one from Russia for example only to get it and not like it, so I kept looking and discovered GW released a mat back in 2010 that was highly rated. So I grabbed one. It wasn't cheap, but what else is these days.

I am not intending to permanently mounting it to a board, and it is kind of too big (6x4) for what I prefer (4x4), so I guess I will just lay it over whatever surface I am playing on. Here's a mock up using the Skull Pass set, since their art is featured on the cover of the box.

Anyway, I do approve of it. I was able to quickly iron out some creases. If I had bought these back in the day when they were cheaper, I would have def stocked up and permanently mounted one on a table.

You'll notice some hills. Yes I bought those recently too. Old GW hills. I had some old ones, the ones that came flocked, but kind of liked these more, so sold off the others and got these. These were already painted and a couple already flocked, but I was able to remove the flock and just gave a light primer over the previous paint job, which looked more like a wash. Kinda big, but I like them.

So, between the mat, the river and lake sets I got some time ago, a stone bridge I think is from Bolt Action, a Manor (which I have still yet to even assemble), the Garden of Morr, and 5 sets of the old Citadel wood I grabbed before they were discontinued, I think I can safely say I have all I need for a proper WFB battle.

So this is it. I got all the starters I wanted, the battalion sets and other supporting units, generals, wizards, and battle standards for all, I am finally done.

Once you fight a full sized battle, 4x4 doesn't allow for much movement beyond running straight across the field, you'll want those extra 2' lol.

Nice to hit that "done" feeling. Maybe in a few years when everything is painted up, you'll get the itch to make them full sized armies, but for now, enjoy it. I had that with my other hobby for almost a year before selling them to move away. This hobby i am close, but not quite there yet. Maybe another bunch of empire and pirate zombies and i'll finally accept completion

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #474 on: May 12, 2021, 07:04:11 AM »
Once you fight a full sized battle, 4x4 doesn't allow for much movement beyond running straight across the field, you'll want those extra 2' lol.

Second this.

Warhammer was originally designed for 8'*4' tables, and full games (2-2.5k points) are definitely more interesting when you have to create a main force with flanking units & have room for maoeuvre.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.