home

Author Topic: Reikland Painting Project  (Read 6806 times)

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
Re: Reikland Painting Project
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »
I am really happy with how this whole thing is turning out! Now to go back and finish what I need for my 500pts game! Haha

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 04:19:59 PM »
My list in case anyone is interested/wants to give points/critiques  :-P

++ Standard (Empire - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.2.) [500pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

- Army Size: Army (0-2999 points)

+ Heroes +

Battle Wizard [100pts]: Wizard Level 2
. . Categories: Heroes

+ Core +

Swordsmen [170pts]: Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, 10x Swordsmen
. . Categories: Core
. . Archers: 5x Archers
. . Archers: 5x Archers

+ Special +

Pistoliers [110pts]: 5x Pistoliers, Warhorse
. . Categories: Special
. . Champion: Brace of Pistols
. . Musician

+ Rare +

Helblaster Volley Gun [120pts]: 3x Crew, Helblaster Volley Gun
. . Categories: Rare

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »
The whole having to be careful with points in each category is something I love! Way cooler (and harder :-P ) to build lists with. I wasn aware of having to have at least 25% of your army be core, so suddenly had to change up my planned army!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 07:40:41 PM »
Assuming that this is based on the (painted?) models you have, there is not much leeway to the list, really. The only improvement is perhaps to merge the Archers into one unit, and use it as a Wizard bunker. As Skirmishers, they have -1 To Hit for enemy shooting, and improved mobility. Having them as Detachments has no benefits in this list. A unit of 5 could be useful as redirectors, but not to redirect a threat from a mere 10 Swordsmen.  I would also drop the Swordsmen Champion in exchange for an Archer Musician. Indeed, you might drop the Musician and Standard Bearer, and use the Swordsmen as Detachments. The points saved could be used to give the Outrider a repeater pistol. Alternatively, you could also drop the Outrider, either for Dispel Scroll, or the Ruby Ring of Ruin on your Wizard. In small games, the Lore of Fire works best, and the RRR has good synergy with a Fire Wizard. 
On a general note: in the 8th edition, Halberdiers are the superior choice over Swordsmen or Spearmen, but whatever you take of those, the unit should be at least 20-25 strong.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 08:01:40 PM »
Ok gotcha, I luckily had a spare horn from the pistolier kit, so one of the archers has that now! My rulebook didn arrive yet, what is the benefit of a musician, and why would the be important in an archer unit for example? If I recall right a champion is 1 extra attack in melee and the banner let's me reroll morale, but also adds 1 to my combat score (I think based on watching fantasy games online), but what doe sthe musician do?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »
Helps rally.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 08:34:44 PM »
A unit's standard bearer just adds +1 to combat resolution. To re-roll moral tests, you need to have a BSB (an upgraded Captain).
A musician gives you +1 to Rally if you are fleeing, will turn a drawn combat into victory (if the enemy does not have a musician himself), and gives you the possibility of a swift reform. For 10 points, that is a bargain.
In general, you do not want missile units in CC (unbless they are redirectors), in particular if they serve as Wizard bunker. If the Archers are charged, the normal reaction will be to flee. The musician will help them to rally. In addition, the swift reform will allow the Archers to react better to the battlefield situation, and they still will be able to shoot. 
You do not take the champion for the extra attack; you take him as a sacrifical lamb in a challenge. In the case of Pistoliers, the main reason to take the Outrider is tp get the repeater pistol.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »
Oh wow yea the musicians sound awesome! Yea defo see the worth in taking them. Well better get to painting those archers now! Got them all built now, so hope I can do it fairly quickly

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »
The main problem with your current Army list is that you lack a decent anker, i.e. a unit that has enough stamina to take a charge and survive at least a couple of rounds. Although Halberdiers are the superior choice in the 8th edition, Swordsmen are good enough, but should be at least 20-25 strong.

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 09:40:09 PM »
I unno, might help that all of us are just starting with the game, so nobody really has any big units etc. Only know one other list so far, but biggest unit in that is a block of 10 saurus, so hoping I can just weaken them enough as they approach

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »
10 Saurus warriors will easily wipe the floor with 10 Swordsmen - with anything you have in your list really. So, you got the right idea. As Noght always used to say: shoot the fighty stuff, and fight the shooty stuff.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27:18 PM »
Well said. :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »
Given your lack of decent CC units, you must keep an eye on possible chargers. Given the mobility of the Archers, you should try to move out of possible charge ranges/arcs. if that is not possible, you should try to apply the "double flee" tactic. For this the tactic to work, you need to ensure that the Archers and the Swordsmen unit(s) are in the right position.
The "double flee" tactic works thus: the superior enemy unit X declares a charge against your Archers. The Archers declare a Flee reaction, and flee through the Swordsmen unit. Because of that, X will not be able to contact the Archers, and the charge would fail. If, on the other hand, X chooses to redirect its charge against the Swordsmen, the latter now flee through the Archers, which in turn block access to the current target, again resulting in a failed charge.

Of course, you need them to rally again as soon as possible, hence the need for a musician, in particular as you do not have a BSB or high Ld General.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:28:12 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
That honestly is a really good tactic! Like I would not have thought about evading combat like that!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 07:21:02 AM »
Love the painting & the energy here! :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 07:47:20 AM »
That honestly is a really good tactic! Like I would not have thought about evading combat like that!

Keep in mind that in a Flee reaction, the fleeing unit is turned about its centre, facing directly away from the centre of the charging enemy unit, and then moves straight ahead. So, you need to ensure that the second unit is positioned correctly. There is also the possibility that another enemy unit might be able to declare a charge against one of the fleeing units, which would have to flee again, and thus could move out of the way of the first charger.

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »
Waiting for stuff I ordered from Europe to arrive, so not too much progress atm (especially since I am out of Rakarth Flesh and no point buying one here if I have three pots on the way lol), but started on some greatswords, but also this awesome af fire wizard dude! He's metal which kinda sucks weight wise (I stopped playing 40k Sisters of Battle cause of the weight issue lmao), but it looks so incredibly cool!

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
Also got some warrior priests on their way, them being painted by a friend of mine for me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 10:49:15 PM »
There are some figures that are just too cool not to own.  Get 'em, paint 'em, and make sure they are carried to the table top, even if they are metal.

:icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2019, 07:40:42 PM »
I never liked this wizard. I got four in the Steveb collection, it is actually pretty cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »
It is an odd sculpt (to me) but you've managed to make him look really nice.

Also - congrats on completing the hurricanum. That model looks like a lot of hassle to paint!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
UGH the hurricanum was a PAIN to do. Like once I actualy got started it was fine, but getting started was hell! Worst thing tho is that I have a luminark and war altar that still need building and painting lol