home

Author Topic: Warcry ...  (Read 8728 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Warcry ...
« on: August 29, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
Looks like a fantasy skirmish game.

Saw the components of the starter set and they look like detailed figures.  Seems like a handful of extra warbands can be purchased, although they all seem to look like chaos forces.

Anyone play this yet?  And if yes, how's it going?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Warcry ...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 12:57:02 PM »
So no one has any experience with this yet? I've heard it might be a Mordheim like game, although only Chaos Warbands at the moment.  Scenery in the starter set looks good, and I like one of the Warbands that doesn't come in the starter set, can't recall the name.  I'll look it up.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 04:43:08 PM »
For what its worth there are other warbands available, but not a complete set for all the factions. There's going to be (eventually) like a dozen different chaos tribes and Stormcasts, daughters of khaine, Deepkin, Nighthaunt, Fleshcourt ghouls, undead, Orcs, Gobo's and savage orcs. Likely more in the future as well.

I'm not sure I'd call it like Mordheim. More like Path to Glory or Necromunda. More gang warfare then exploration fighting, if that makes sense. The scenery looks amazing, and the models are super high quality, but I just have no interest in chaos models. A big part of this is expanding the background on the normal tribes and cults who follow chaos, instead of the rather generic ones, and that's great! I still don't want to play them.

As for the rules, a couple of my buddies have tried it and said its really good. I don't really no the difference between this and shadespire/underworlds, but it does seem really tactical. There's a lot of fights over getting the high ground, a lot of how you position models and which you use to do stuff. So it does look good, and I'll likely give it a try at some point.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »
Agree about Chaos. Models fantastic, theme no. The only good chaos is dead chaos. Preferably shot, burnt, pissed on and trampled by hundreds of noble horses.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:11:01 PM »
The models for them really are fantastic, but sadly none of them really hook me. It's super impressive, and I have some fun ideas for various conversations, but frankly they're all ideas that are like "Hey it could be fun to make them like x...but I have a billion other ideas to work on first."

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »
It's a bit like 40k's Killteam, played 2 games past Saturday with the core set. You got several stacks of cards to determine the scenario much like the cards for AoS Open play.
Models have fixed stats and warbands have a set of abilities you can use if you have double, triple or a quad from a set of 6 dice rolled at the start of a turn. While the amount of singles determine initiative.

It has warband specific for this but also other factions have "booster packs" with the cards for it. Even Stormcast with vanguard models.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Well here's a link to the Warcry stuff on GW'd site ... https://ageofsigmar.com/warcry/

Looks like currently 6 Chaos factions, 3 Order factions, 3 Death, and 3 Destruction.

Oh, and Becca Scott.  Not sure setting up a battle is what I have in mind for the coffee table. :icon_wink:

Back to being serious ... the game looks simple enough from the video.

Might get the starter set because of the terrain.  I like the Splintered Fang figures, and contemplating buying them.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »
Honestly I'm really considering the starter set for the terrain. That stuff looks like it would be great for Frostgrave, Kill Team or any other skirmish game.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 07:24:16 AM »
There has not been any updates to "Gorechosen" right?
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 09:10:38 AM »
There has not been any updates to "Gorechosen" right?

wrong topic ;)

But I recall that there were some extra cards for models to use in the base game.. not sure if they can be found somewhere still
Nothing to implicate Gorechosen into Warcray though
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 02:38:26 PM »
Yeah, but thanks for the answer.
Those who got warcry, hows your experience so far?
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »
Had a near shot at buying Warcry for $100 in the flea market area at Fall-In! 2019.  Unfortunately another guy picked it up before I put my hands on it, and right out from underneath my personal space as I was looking at it.  Felt like i was in a department store where ladies invade each other's personal space to get to the sale items before anyone else does.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for another opportunity at some point, or maybe just buy it at retail cost.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 05:34:30 AM »
Tried it.

It's a good game as an introduction to Wargaming, but the game is dictated by cards, and to the experienced gamer may be a bit too restrictive.
That said, I'm pitting a copy in the club for our youngsters.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 12:17:43 PM »
That's good to know, appreciate the review. :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
A copy of the initial Warcry starter set has been purchased and received!  :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

I haven't had a free moment to open the box, and will wait for when I can sit down, relax, and indulge myself for a full exploration of its contents.

I'd been meaning to pick up a copy after missing out on the one I mentioned further back on the thread.  I noticed GW started selling a Warcry "starter collection" without miniatures for $149 (doesn't seem to have all the same scenery either).  And GW has increased the cost of the full starter set to $280 which really seemed nuts to me.  My "local" hobby store was still selling it for $170 which is 39% less than GW's current price, so it seemed like a no brainer to get a copy now before GW discontinues the full starter set with figures (who's going to buy it at $280?).

They are also selling three new scenery sets ...

(A.) The "Defiled Ruins", which is the same new set of scenery in the new "starter collection", and has the same nice looking terrain board.
(B.) The "Shattered Storm Vault", which seems like a ruined temple area which I like a lot, and a seemingly lack luster terrain board to me.
(C.) The "Souldrain Forest" which has six cool looking trees that I like a lot, plus ten rough/ruin pieces, and a decent looking terrain board.

The last of the three is $100, while the other two are at $90. They could be good for so many various fantasy gaming situations beyond Warcry.  At some point I might pick the Storm Vault or Forest sets.  But I digress.

Also, bought a set of the Splintered Fang warband.  These are some cool figures that I just had to have as an alternate warband for the game, plus they  might get used as a Greek like inspired warband from one of the Border Princes some day.  The latter if I ever get around to that as a priority in the hobby, but who knows.

And I got a bunch of new paints!  Cahcoo!  It was like Christmas getting these alone. :icon_mrgreen:

Artoban ... your copy of the starter set will be on its way to you when I find a box that is suitable for shipping it.  Looking again today, and will come up with one eventually.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:33:07 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »
Noticed today that the Chimera figure has sold out on line.  As have the Nighthaunt cards.  Hmmm ... and not that I wanted either.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »
The original Warbands were ... the two in the starter set called Iron Golem and Untamed Beasts, Splintered Fang, Corvus Cabal, Cypher Lords, and The Unmade.  These are all suppose to be Chaos groups.  Plus there was the Chaotic Beasts set.

Since then they have added the following figure sets ... Spire Tyrants (more Chaos), Gloomspite Gits (Goblins on Squigs), Nighthaunts (Undead), and the Stormcastcrud Eternals.

Apparently there are lots of card sets for other fantasy groups as well that the figures can be used from the various W:AoS lines that they sell.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:06:14 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
Yup they've slowly been expanding it. Fyreslayer for example got rules in a white dwarf a month or two ago. A lot of the stuff sold out right now they've said is only temporarily out of stuck because of the pandemic, and then they'll be bringing it back. This is the complete list of factions with rules, but the rules are a bit spread out. Some have just cards, some are in rulebooks and expansions, and at least one is just in a white dwarf.

Iron Golems
Untamed Beasts
Splintered Fang
Corvus Cabal
The Unmade
Cypher Lords
Spire Tyrants
Scions of Flame
Khainite Shadowstalkers
Stormcast Eternals of various flavours.
Daughters of Khaine
Idoneth Deepkin
Kharadron Overlords
Fyreslayers
Sylvaneth
Seraphon
Legions of Nagash
Nighthaunt
Flesh-Eater Courts
Ossiarch Bonereapers
Ironjawz
Bonesplitterz
Gloomspite Gitz
Ogor Mawtribes
Slaves to Darkness
Beasts of Chaos
Skaven
Disciples of Tzeentch Daemons
Disciples of Tzeentch Arcanites
Maggotkin of Nurgle Daemons
Maggotkin of Nurgle Rotbringers
Blades of Khorne Daemons
Blades of Khorne Bloodbound
Hedonites of Slaanesh

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »
Where'd that list come from? It is quite long!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:19:22 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 10:03:50 PM »
Wow! Was the goblin wolf riders in there somewhere?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 10:20:17 PM »
Looks like just the Gobo Sqig riders ... Gloom Spite Gitz.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »
Looks like just the Gobo Sqig riders ... Gloom Spite Gitz.

Remember somewhere there were new wolf rider models on posted. They were crazy good models and they would certainly fit in this system. I just can’t recall where I saw them
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:16 PM »

The new wolf riders were for Shadespire/underworld. I know, its confusing, but its technically a different game.

And for GP, I popped over to a website that had compiled a master list of all the armies with rules. Like I said, its confusing itself because the rules are so spread out. Some cards were on sale in Britain, but not here yet because of the pandemic. Quite a few are in the campaign expansion books, the tomes of whatever, and some were in white dwarfs. Apparently they've said they'll be a book sometime this summer that centralizes everything and puts all the faction rules in one place, but who knows.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »

The new wolf riders were for Shadespire/underworld. I know, its confusing, but its technically a different game.

And for GP, I popped over to a website that had compiled a master list of all the armies with rules. Like I said, its confusing itself because the rules are so spread out. Some cards were on sale in Britain, but not here yet because of the pandemic. Quite a few are in the campaign expansion books, the tomes of whatever, and some were in white dwarfs. Apparently they've said they'll be a book sometime this summer that centralizes everything and puts all the faction rules in one place, but who knows.

Thanks Gankom!  Is that game still going ?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 11:20:32 PM »
It is! They seem to be breaking it up into 'seasons'. So first we had Shadespire, then Night Vault, and now this current season is Beastgrave. If you've seen pictures of the new wild elf guys and centaur, or some beastmen, those are the current starter set.

Each season has a slightly different map based on a theme, and generally slightly different rules. From what I understand you can mix and match them as you want, so they're all compatible.