home

Author Topic: Hobbying in a Storage Unit ...  (Read 11499 times)

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Re: Hobbying in a Storage Unit ...
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
In a store above the ground there lived a hobbyist. Not a nasty, dirty, wet store, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy store with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbyist-store, and that means comfort...

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
Two car loads taken to the storage unit.  It was quite the afternoon project, and probably two more car loads of stuff at least.  It has already been an eye opening experience.

The first car load had me thinking, "This is only one car load, uh boy."  When I got the second car load to the unit, sitting on the loading cart, and began emptying it onto the storage unit, my sense was, "Look how much freaking stuff I have, and so far it's only maybe half of what I got."

I have begun sorting into five piles ... Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Historicals, Terrain, and ... a catagory I had forgotten about earlier ... Books+Games+Magazines+MiniatureRules.  Much more to do.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:59:22 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 07:04:34 AM »
. a category I had forgotten about earlier ... Books+Games+Magazines+MiniatureRules. 

Ah yes - the books.
So many - I buy rulebooks just to read and look at the pretty pictures. I will never get to play the rules set, indeed I have sets on version 3 where I have never played version 1 or 2.
 :closed-eyes:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
In a store above the ground there lived a hobbyist. Not a nasty, dirty, wet store, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy store with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbyist-store, and that means comfort...

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

At least BAWTRM knows the classics...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 12:00:11 PM »
There are sometimes things best ignored, even if we understand what was trying to be done. :icon_wink:

- - -

. a category I had forgotten about earlier ... Books+Games+Magazines+MiniatureRules.

Ah yes - the books.
So many - I buy rulebooks just to read and look at the pretty pictures. I will never get to play the rules set, indeed I have sets on version 3 where I have never played version 1 or 2.
 :closed-eyes:
It bothers me that I haven't been able to play so many of the rules I have.  Evidently I'm not the only one that runs into this, although I don't collect rule sets.  I buy them because I am interested in them, yet don't get around to even painting the miniatures to play the miniature games.

Update ... I packed my car last night with a 3rd load to go to the storage unit.  My three 4'x2' game boards took up a lot of space in the vehicle just because they are bulky. It was another reminder of how silly this hobby is sometimes because I have plans for more game boards and still haven't gotten around to doing them yet either ... lol.  And the space these things takes up in a car guarantees there will be at least 5 loads total.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »
Yay, GP! Time for action!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »
And the magazines! Sheesh.  I only have one subscription, but I pick up others from time to time at stores, conventions, flea markets at conventions.  These things often have cool articles on history, scenarios, terrain making, painting, etc.  Got get these organized too, and I dream of setting up a catalogue on what is in the magazines I have.  Not sure it'll ever happen, but if I can find a way to keep this idea simple and informative, might still give it a go.

However, for the moment, got to get back to step one on this project and see how all this organizing stuff develops ...   

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
12’ x 17’ is an amazing space. You could have a work table, 3 6x4 tables, 1 sci fi, 1 fantasy and 1 historical. Shelves for a library of sorts and also for terrain. Plus shelves for the armies and boxes of stuff. That’s an amazing space. 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »
I was curious, and measured the space.  Wanted to know what I really had so I could make some plans for using it effectively, especially for an idea for a shelving unit or two that I am likely going to implement.  Interestingly it was actually 10' x 15', but I was tired and might measure it again to confirm that I didn't get it wrong.

@ Artoban ...  I like your idea!  Probably won't get a work table and 3 other tables, but who knows how this might develop.  Work table is a must for terrain projects at a minimum, and maybe laying out specific painting projects.  I'm probably going to have a painting location at my place with most current painting being done at home where food, music, t.v., and bathroom is available.

Planning to move some existing furniture from my older and smaller storage unit into this one for use there.  I've got a table for working and a table for gaming, a huge hutch that I could use for storage of completed figures.  Plan to put in some shelving units for ongoing, unstarted, and unfinished projects, both figures and terrain.

I also have my grandmother's sewing machine and table for projects like Padre's costumes, but this idea is much more long term and further down the road, me needing some lessons, probably initially from my mother.  She's the one that said make sure I do this before she can't.

Anyway, took a fourth car load over to the storage unit today.  Probably at least a fifth still to go.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2019, 12:51:42 AM »
 You are definitely correct. Even with the first measurements I was wrong. Could handle a workbench and 2 tables but your 10 x 15  could  only handle a work area and 1 table plus shelves, hutches. Still will be an awesome comfortable room. I tried to pack too much in my basement room and regretted the close confines. I am taking measurements of my area and will build to suit comfortably. I’m planning on shelving in the form of 15” deep x 8’ by at least 4 shelve high. Those brackets that screw on the wall with the metal shelf supports that clip in. Should provide about 32 lineal ft of storage. Going to use aspenite 1/2 “ painted with melamine paint for shelves, workbench and 2 tables + experimental dice boards. 4 sheets will do the job at about $10 a sheet plus paint. Budget, budget, budget as usual 😸
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:56 AM »
I also have my grandmother's sewing machine and table for projects like Padre's costumes, but this idea is much more long term and further down the road, me needing some lessons, probably initially from my mother.  She's the one that said make sure I do this before she can't.

I believe sewing is one of the most important, basic skills anyone can know. I would love to learn the finer points of sewing ( I don't, currently). I hope you take advantage of those lessons!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2019, 10:19:35 AM »
I here ya 023.  And when my mother said what she said I did a double take.  She is getting up there in age, and learning what she knows, it is like any other parental skill, if they have 'em, it is probably worth learning from them.

It is amazing how much our view point changes as we get older.  Had someone said I would be interested in sewing, I probably wouldn't have contemplated it being yes.  But with the inheriting of my grandmothers items, no one else wanted them, and I saw it as an opportunity to widen my skills, maybe even dabble in making fashionable items for a lady friend and myself, particularly costumes for some of the historical interests I have.  (The lady friend is gone, although a new one seems to be on the way, and she is into fashion, so we'll see.)

You are definitely correct. Even with the first measurements I was wrong. Could handle a workbench and 2 tables but your 10 x 15  could  only handle a work area and 1 table plus shelves, hutches. Still will be an awesome comfortable room. I tried to pack too much in my basement room and regretted the close confines. I am taking measurements of my area and will build to suit comfortably. I’m planning on shelving in the form of 15” deep x 8’ by at least 4 shelve high. Those brackets that screw on the wall with the metal shelf supports that clip in. Should provide about 32 lineal ft of storage. Going to use aspenite 1/2 “ painted with melamine paint for shelves, workbench and 2 tables + experimental dice boards. 4 sheets will do the job at about $10 a sheet plus paint. Budget, budget, budget as usual 😸
Looks like I'm not the only one been doing some planning. Your space does look good, do you know its size? I look on your thread to see if it's mentioned there. :icon_cool:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2019, 10:21:28 AM »
Last weekend was my third in a row doing something with the space.  I got all the furniture out of the old unit and into the new.

My grandmother's dining room hutch that no one wanted is going to be used for storage of something, I'm thinking perhaps terrain, although not sure yet.  I also inherited a tall curio cabinet with glass on all sides that I can see into and will save for finished stuff.  Not much of that yet ... lol.  I have a antique vintage Victorian era sofa which will take up some space for sitting, might help the place look a little classy.  I have a table that I'm going to turn into a gaming spot.  I also have my grandmother's sewing machine table and her work table, and a small round office meeting style table, too.

I need to invest in some sort of shelving, and soon.  This will be for storing all the unstarted and unfinished miniatures.

By the way going to scale back the old storage unit into a smaller space which means I will have hardly had the old and new unit for at most a few weeks.  The smaller unit will only have boxes of unrelated to hobby stuff, and eventually going to go through that as well to eliminate the need for the smaller unit.  Then it is on to organizing the large hobby space unit, after I get done moving the non-hobby stuff from the old unit to a new one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 10:25:28 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
Update time ...

4th weekend ... transfered old storage unit into a smaller new storage unit for less money. Nothing new on the hobby storage unit.
5th weekend ... moved some furniture into the smaller unit to make space for hobbying in the big unit.
6th weekend ... bought two 3' x 18" shelving units (they didn't have more yet), constructed them, started putting sci-fi and fantasy on to one, sci fi at the top on two shelves (it's in space!), fantasy on the bottom three shelves, and need to inventory next.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »
Update time ...

4th weekend ... transfered old storage unit into a smaller new storage unit for less money. Nothing new on the hobby storage unit.
5th weekend ... moved some furniture into the smaller unit to make space for hobbying in the big unit.
6th weekend ... bought two 3' x 18" shelving units (they didn't have more yet), constructed them, started putting sci-fi and fantasy on to one, sci fi at the top on two shelves (it's in space!), fantasy on the bottom three shelves, and need to inventory next.

I’d better get my butt in gear and catch up. Some serious painting coming up 😺
Excellent GP. Progress is good
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
I'm looking forward to creating my hobby inventory.  It'll be quite the chore, and could take a while, yet want to be able to know quickly what I have and what I don't to make good choices. If possible ... lol.

Noticed I got 2 and a half boxes of greatswords, 1 and a half of pistoliers/outriders (need to buy at least a couple more kits of these before they disappear),  2 and a half boxes of huntsmen, and probably 2 boxes, maybe more of militia (need to open up the two already started boxes and see what more I might have.  Got a couple boxes of spearmen with handgunners, 6th edition Empire battalion box, 1 knights box, 1 infantry/detachment box, one set of 7th edition infantry, 6th edition infantry, 6th edition crossbows, maybe a few other items ... general box, volley gun, wizard weapon machine, 7/8th edition war altar, probably forgetting something not having started the real inventory yet.  And that's just Empire, not that I have the same quantity of other factions, definitely not.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to creating my hobby inventory.  It'll be quite the chore, and could take a while, yet want to be able to know quickly what I have and what I don't to make good choices. If possible ... lol.

Good luck - I have toyed with this idea, but it would probably take longer than I have left to live.  :engel:

Also I'd probably get a week or so into it, and get distracted by some new minis I need to buy.  :biggriin:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
Yes, I can see how this can be quite the project.  Just sorting through the five categories to store things with more organization than previous is going to be an effort.  The category of fantasy and sci-fi alone, thankfully isn't as much, nor as varied, as my historical collection, and so I'm starting with that one first.  Once I get to the historical figures, going to try to inventory it by era and faction, but we'll see ... lol.  Terrain won't be as much of an issue.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 07:45:28 PM »
Purchased a 3rd shelf unit, and got it built along side the first two.

There are fantasy and sc-fi boxes on one from last week's effort.  The next two are going to be for the following historical catagories ...

- - - On one unit there will be Ancients, Dark Ages, Middle Ages, Renaissance, 18th Century.

- - - On the other there will be Napoleonic, Rest of 19th Century, Early 20th Century, WW2, Latter 20th Century.

Going to begin sorting to the historical shelves next, and as more fantasy and sci-fi show up, those will go to the front of their shelf on the floor, for future sorting on to their shelf unit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:55:55 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 09:20:02 PM »
Oh my ... the figures I am finding as I sort ...

The Westfalia Halfmen.

28 pairs of the older plastic Bret archers.

Some gorgeous older 25mm medieval figures.

One small box of Ral Partha Late Medieval artillery.

The North Star 1672 artillery and cavalry.

Longstreet Rules and cards by Sam Mustafa.

The MoFo Moderns for use with an Imagi-nations project.

- - -

Much more sorting to do, but alas,  it is time to go home, make dinner, go dancing. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »
The Westfalia Halfmen.

Shame on you, you male chauvinist pig. It is the Westafalia Halfpersons...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2019, 09:36:41 PM »
The Westfalia Halfmen.
Shame on you, you male chauvinist pig. It is the Westafalia Halfpersons...
They have been called as they are sold, and anyway ... I only have halfmen, no halfwomen. :icon_mrgreen:

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2019, 09:58:39 PM »
Says you. They may all self-identify as Halfwomen...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
Says you. They may all self-identify as Halfwomen...
Maybe in your fantasy world, but not mine. :icon_wink:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »
Good luck - I have toyed with this idea, but it would probably take longer than I have left to live.  :engel:

Also I'd probably get a week or so into it, and get distracted by some new minis I need to buy.  :biggriin:
Yes, I can see how this can be quite the project.  Just sorting through the five categories to store things with more organization than previous is going to be an effort.  The category of fantasy and sci-fi alone, thankfully isn't as much, nor as varied, as my historical collection, and so I'm starting with that one first.  Once I get to the historical figures, going to try to inventory it by era and faction, but we'll see ... lol.  Terrain won't be as much of an issue.
So spent a second afternoon sorting through the historicals.  Just getting through that wasn't easy.  At one point a took a break for a donut and gatorade, and just looking at the sci-fi fantasy shelf alone wasn't doing positive things for me to want to inventory it.  I ended up getting through most of the historical figures, and there's been some good sorting by era and faction, but inventorying it, not sure that'll happen soon if ever.  There's a table to construct, and other shelf to set up for terrain, determining where I'm going to put hobby supplies.  And oh my, the number of hobby projects, sheesh it's frankly a bit crazy.

It is nice to get all this stuff in one spot, and be able to set it up for future use, yet one really sees the completely nutty side of this hobby when it is sitting all in one room like this.  I suppose there could be worse things to spend time, effort and money on, but it really is a bit wacky in a way.  At this point, it really feels like I have enough to keep myself busy for a long time, and maybe the rest of my life, and it has even begun to have me thinking about what I might not really want to do, and thus sell some of it, which is the first time I've sensed such an idea.