home

Author Topic: Hobbying in a Storage Unit ...  (Read 11501 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Hobbying in a Storage Unit ...
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »
Somebody would be happy.  Maybe more than one somebody.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »
Despite now not being in storage, sounds like the space really helped you sort things out.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2020, 02:34:42 PM »
Yes, definitely.  A local friend of mine said the same thing the other day.  It has been a big plus, and will help with my eventual hobby progress after the move is completed.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »
Yes, definitely.  A local friend of mine said the same thing the other day.  It has been a big plus, and will help with my eventual hobby progress after the move is completed.

You read it here first folks ... ... ... ...  :biggriin:

Who knows - maybe even there will be some mounted crossbowmen before the end of the year decade.    :engel:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2020, 01:17:28 PM »
Today is moving most furniture day!  Going to the storage unit to move the Victorian sofa and the gaming tables.  Then off to the old place to move all the stuff from there as well.  Can't wait to be in the new place and have it organized.  Expect to be in by end of next weekend, but then the organizing begins, and not sure how long that'll take, probably an ongoing process.

Go to find me a fold up table for the hobby room, at least 4'x6', but would love 5'x8'.  ONe of those items that can be stored up against a wall, and rolled out, table top lowered, for game play on top of it.  Anyone got any ideas :icon_question:

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2020, 07:11:06 AM »
Go to find me a fold up table for the hobby room, at least 4'x6', but would love 5'x8'.  ONe of those items that can be stored up against a wall, and rolled out, table top lowered, for game play on top of it.  Anyone got any ideas :icon_question:

If you can't find one big enough, you can always buy a few from that big company (Ikea) and place them together?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Ok, thanks for the idea!  Going to look it up when I have a free moment.  After some more moving this weekend.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »
Is it possible to make a fold down table, like a Murphy bed. I had thought about this on a few occasions. Even with the idea of having a 6x4 print of  “The Night Watch” by Rembrandt - one of my favourite paintings - to look like a painting when not in use.  A pretty elaborate plan than should probably remain an idea.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2020, 01:27:59 AM »
Took down two of the four shelving units and all the scenery, ancients, dark age, medieval, renaissance, and 18th century figures into boxes.  Hauled it off to my new places storage room.  I have till the 28th to get it all out of there, hopefully by the end of this upcoming weekend.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
I'm planning to get all the hobby things out no later than Saturday, before I go into self isolation.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
Yikes! Self isolation?
Hopefully that’s an excuse to hide away and paint, build, assemble a new hobby world and not suffer through a sickness. No one in their right mind will hold it against you if that’s the reason.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2020, 11:51:48 PM »
I live by myself, and have enough food for 3 or 4 weeks, probably longer.  And plenty of activities, including work, and unpacking from the moving, but yes, practicing my dance, and creating figures, scenery, painting, and reading and 'riting (but not 'rithmetic ... lol), etc.

I have family that is already self isolating themselves and their families, but we stay in touch via phone and texting.  And I have friends in the church community, dance community, and miniatures hobby community to stay in touch with along the way.  So hopefully I'll be ok.

My colleague that I rent office space with has two admins that help us, and there is no way to know who they're husband's are coming in to contact with, and thus infect their concerned wives, and then infect my colleague and I.  So ... I'm going to be conducting my business from home.

This public health issue is actually strengthening my business relationships with my clients.  The interactions I've been having with them over the phone now instead of in person have contained powerful moments of conversation and strengthening their lives and decision making ability despite their anxiety, fears sadness, and likely suffering at some point along the way.

This is going to be quite a change for me.  I'm more extroverted than my younger years, I'm involved in a lot of activities, and of course no more dating isn't going to be fun, although in a way I am relating to one woman who I've been staying in touch with every day as she deals with running her business via mail, and struggling with her octogenarian parents in this tough time.

But hey, this is what is happening in the current moments, and no sense in resisting it.  Better to stay aware, make healthy choices as best as possible, and stay connected and supported through the interactions possible via phone, text, internet.

I'm glad this site exists, can't thank Grutch and the admins enough for keeping it going, nor the participants who come here to share their lives and loves and disappointments and information and pictures and stories and friendship.

Thank you. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:57:33 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2020, 12:39:15 AM »
Thanks GP for that. Good outlook all around.

Quote GP:
I'm glad this site exists, can't thank Grutch and the admins enough for keeping it going, nor the participants who come here to share their lives and loves and disappointments and information and pictures and stories and friendship.

Agreed completely 😺!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2020, 03:13:21 AM »
Second set of shelves down and into new place.  Also boxed up all Naps, 19th century, Early 20th century, WW2, and Modern figures.  Plus all generic Sci-fi, 40K, WFB figures have also been boxed.

I have a bunch of magazines, books, and terrain making material that needs to be cleared out of the hobby unit.  Then it gets closed.

Need to put up the shelves here in my storage room that I have at my place, and then start getting the figures on to them next.  Also need to put up the work tables/game table as a temporary way to get moving on with the hobby.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
Getting close! Do you have till the end of the month?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2020, 11:44:06 AM »
Till the 28th.  Depending on work load, might finish today, but regardless, soon.  The organization at home will take longer.

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »
The organization at home will take longer.
Me too brother, me too...

Just read through this thread and saw that you were at Fall iN! I was too! Played in a couple Wings of Glory games, a ACW game, WW1 naval combat and Muskets and Tomahawks. My daughter and my dad accompanied me. First time to a con and gaming for my dad. My daughter has gone to smaller locals with me before (in is a local legend among the Triumph! crew due to a fantastic win in a Battle of Hastings game).

I had a bit of a haul of stuff, love the vendor hall and spend too much every year.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »
Yep, I've been to Historicon and Fall-In!, both on and off over time, although rarely go to Cold Wars because it so often has not been good timing for so many reasons.  Maybe we'll bump into each other at one of these some day.  However, they just snuck this year's Cold Wars in under all these epidemic shutdowns, Historicon seems to be questionable, and who knows about Fall-In! this year, just too far off and too much current uncertainty.

- - - - - -

In the meantime, I have now dug out my 20 Border Reivers in 28mm, washed them off, and going to clean flash and mold lines next.  Plus I'm spray priming my 8mm Perry Napoleonics that I received as a gift from another gamer friend for painting soon.  I've never even painted 15mm, so these 8mm dudes ought to be interesting.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2020, 12:12:26 PM »
Is the end in site? Reading over your collection, I am amazed at how much stuff we collect over time. I’m also in the process of bringing back the collection from my workshop to home. I keep thinking, I’ll dump these armies as I don’t use them anymore (here’s looking at you 40k) but a primal resistance builds up and I turn to other thoughts. I still have 3 boxes of books to deal with that survived the first purge. I swear only 1 box will return.
I have 3 ikea cabinets that are at the shop as well. 1 is going into the new ‘studio’ for art supplies. My office was relocated and my wife turned the room into a studio for her daughters art working. Didn’t tell her or push her to use the space and she just moved in and started using everything. Glorious.
The 2nd cabinet will go downstairs and that will take only the books it can hold. The rest go ....somewhere. 
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
Is the end in site?
Too close in time to the move for all the unpacking and organization to be over ... lol.

Reading over your collection, I am amazed at how much stuff we collect over time. I’m also in the process of bringing back the collection from my workshop to home. I keep thinking, I’ll dump these armies as I don’t use them anymore (here’s looking at you 40k) but a primal resistance builds up and I turn to other thoughts. I still have 3 boxes of books to deal with that survived the first purge. I swear only 1 box will return.
Hobbies like this one and many others appeal to the brain and generate positive chemicals, and so we get addicted to that.  I probably have way too many miniatures, and still buy.  It appeals to my fantasy of various interests in eras, I love military history, it has shaped the world, and imagining myself as part of those eras is a bit crazy, yet fun. And so I buy.  And it is tough to let go.  But as I age, I begin to see where I need to let go, and eventually will.  I'm seeing my father do it with his things as he approaches his death.

I have lots of books as well, and have begun the process of deciding which ones I will keep, sell, or toss.  Miniatures ... I mostly keep, might give some away to those nephews who exhibit enough interest to warrant giving them some, but time will tell.  After that I may begin selling, yet will see.  Never thought I would, and seen folks sell, and then regret it, so I don't sell miniatures currently.  Perhaps never.

I have 3 ikea cabinets that are at the shop as well. 1 is going into the new ‘studio’ for art supplies. My office was relocated and my wife turned the room into a studio for her daughters art working. Didn’t tell her or push her to use the space and she just moved in and started using everything. Glorious.
Hope I can find a lady that respect my space and property.

The 2nd cabinet will go downstairs and that will take only the books it can hold. The rest go ....somewhere.
I agree. :icon_mrgreen: