home

Author Topic: Malifaux  (Read 1750 times)

Offline MrDWhitey

Malifaux
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
So, has anyone played this? One of our club members demo'd it today and it looked very cool. I sold some Chaos warriors for Ģ30 and promptly gave the man the money to purchase me some starting stuff as the figures are just nice.

The way actions are resolved is very nice too! No dice!

Also, Teddy is frightening.

I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

Re: Malifaux
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:09:26 AM »
I have only seen the miniatures on a web page but some of them look very nice. As soon as you have managed a couple of games report how it goes and if it is any fun!!!

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:43:12 AM »
Haven't played it, but apparantly it's a big hit in the LGS.

Saw the minis, they look quite good.

It was described to me as Horrorsteampunk with a twist... Oliver twist.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline MrDWhitey

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
Had my first game of this tonight, and I must say it was very enjoyable. Everything works off "opposed rolls", for example, my attack is 5, his defense is 4, I draw a 13 card and he draws a 7 card, I win and hit. But he could (if he had it in his "cheat deck", a special 6 card deck drawn at the start) use the red joker (counts as a 14) to beat it and avoid the hit.

Anyway, very fun game with my Death Marshals and Judge gunning for a magical mynx and her minions of ice. The Death Marshals slowly lost hp but didn't seem to die (and when they did, Slow to Die meant they got a free action, typically a gunshot at their killer) whilst I slowly wittled away his minions.

At the end the magician was holed up in a ruin, casting freezing spells around her to stop my groups master and pillars of ice around her to stop line of sight, forgetting one important thing.

Her back was to a window.

My Judge and the surviving Death Marshal (2 died slowly) went up to the window and opened fire at point blank, gunning the hapless mage down over two turns (he didn't bother moving as he couldn't get away far enough, and he just didn't manage to kill the Judge and Marshal, and they both had a free action if he had killed them, the Judge's Blades and Bullets/Bullets and Blades being silly, two attacks for one).

I felt the Card System worked fine, and the cheating was quite cool too. Really really enjoyed it, though I found the Magician to be nasty as hell if left alone, anyone whose played Warmachine knows how annoying Arcnodes can be, and her entire group count as arcnodes.

Didn't get to use the awesome Death Marshal move where they trap someone inside a magical coffin.  :-(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:10:41 PM by MrDWhitey »

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »
How are the Gremlins gamewise? Wonderful models.

Offline MrDWhitey

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »
No idea, the only things I know about are Death Marshals and Witchling Stalkers.  :-D

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
So Witchling Stalkers are the Witch Hunters box, do you need anything additional to the unit boxes? Is there a seperate rulebook to buy?

Ok I moved my lazy butt on their homepage....basic rulebook 35 $ hmm that is not too bad unless it is 35 € over here too. I think the models are incredible creative and there are soo many great ideas in those starters.

Offline MrDWhitey

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »
As far as I can tell you can mix and match within your faction, whilst Witchling stalkers are part of the Witch Hunters subfaction, and Death Marshals are part of the Death Marshals, they're both members of the Guild.

Starters are around 30ish euros and have 5 models or so in each, and they're generally all you need to play. Like Warmachine, it's a cheapish game to get in to, but unlike Warmachine (at the moment anyway) it seems that you don't expand too much, and thus in the long term it's cheaper.

Of course I'm going to offset this by buying multiple factions... getting Decembers Curse, as I liked the way the Ice Witch Rasputina hung back and threw magical death at my Death Marshals... though it did not avail her in the end.  :biggriin: (Death Marshals seem to be very very tough basic crew members! Hard to Wound* and Slow to Die are nice).

*Damage is done by flipping a card, the cards have "Weak" "Moderate" "Severe" on them, and you look at your weapon to see the values (Death Marshals pistols are 2, 3, 5), and typical creatures have 5-6 wounds. Hard to Wound means they flip two cards and choose the lowest.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:25:07 PM by MrDWhitey »

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »
Do you already know anything about the balancing (which I didnīt really like in Warmachine).

Offline MrDWhitey

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
Absolutely nothing is known by me balance wise, I've played one game and it was a fun enjoyable game.

My brief looks at the Wyrd community forums did not show any complaints of balance issues.

Offline oak_prince

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »
Forgive the necromancy.

Anyone here playing?

The 2nd edition rules look promising and I'm definitely looking forward to plastic resculpts of the original gangs(esp Rasputina).
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »
Forgive the necromancy.

Anyone here playing?

The 2nd edition rules look promising and I'm definitely looking forward to plastic resculpts of the original gangs(esp Rasputina).
Well I'm looking for a initiation game, maybe sometime at our club. I have a Gremlin warband, the mini's look fantastic.
I haven't heared of the 2ed, but the idea of using cards instead of dice is refreshing.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.