home

Author Topic: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...  (Read 71178 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...
« Reply #850 on: July 29, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
Well I am back to doing some painting again.  Started off be retouching up the 17 spearmen.  There is not much more to do on these and hope to complete them this week.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #851 on: July 29, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »
Updating ...

Monday ... Day 90

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Realjuan, Gankom, GP, Artoban, Padre, Mids

5 Days Per Week ... Zygmund

3 Days Per Week ... SKS, Novogord

(Those reporting in are bolded.)

Yesterday ...

Tuesday ... Day 91

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Realjuan, Gankom, GP, Artoban, Padre, Mids

Today is starting ...

Wednesday ... Day 92

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Realjuan, Gankom, Artoban, Padre, GP, Mids

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:52:31 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #852 on: July 29, 2020, 01:28:24 PM »
Days 88,89,90,91 - forever lost to the dustbin of history - maybe something to do with the fifty hours since Saturday morning  my wife and I put in to paint a house for resale in the last 4 days. This was for long time friends whom I now doubt if they are friends for putting us thru that. Never again is my motto. Maybe I’ll be able to get some more paint on some minis tonight.
Sorry to hear ... life, as we all all know, can bring us some curve balls.  Climb back in the saddle and keep going.  :icon_cool:

Back to a routine: ...
Got those updated for ya in a post further back! :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #853 on: July 29, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »
Despite numerous setbacks today, i managed to squeeze in an hour. I mostly fiddled around with a flakpanzer i'm working on

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #854 on: July 29, 2020, 11:20:51 PM »
I have to agree those are really nice models. are the faces really similar? Almost looks like 1 guy in 4 poses .

This is one of my big gripes with the models. The 'champion', the dude with the long sword and dagger, is slightly different. Still bearded with long hair but less grizzled. The others all essentially have the same head. Same beard, long hair and lines. It really does seem like the same dude in 3 different poses. You really notice it to because the box comes with 13 models. 1 champ, and 4 of each of the other guys.

The models are also a good head taller then a normal Empire guy, closer in scale to space marines. My Empire army is a pretty eclectic collection so they don't look to out of place as greatswords holding the center, but its still a noticeable difference.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #855 on: July 30, 2020, 07:10:50 AM »
Week 13:
Saturday 25th & 26th:
I worked on my homemade warcry Belltower, goblin edition.
It is based on some hobbit terrain and lots of other bits. It is still not finished, but I'm happy the way it comes along :-)
I also used structure paint to get a rock like effect. Not completely satisfied but getting their!

Monday 27th & Wednesday 29th:
I started (and worked further) on the Nominios Occulum. Man their is a lot of little details on this bugger!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #856 on: July 30, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
Had a bit of a bolt to my relational life today, and it looks like I won't being seeing the lady friend any further.  Her behavior was way too disrespectful for my liking.  It was all I could do just to sit down to the hobby table, an all around pain in the brain.

Painted bolt gun onto the 5th of 6 horses' armor for my Knights of the Aver River.

- - -

Updating ...

Wednesday ... Day 92

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, GP, Realjuan, Gankom, Artoban, Padre, Mids

Thursday ... Day 93

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #857 on: July 30, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »
That sucks GP, sorry to hear it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #858 on: July 30, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »
Thanks Gankom.  It was quite a stunning development.  Out the blue she told me that she'd had dinner with another "admirer".  I told her, "I guess you've ruled me out."  She seemed to claim she hadn't, but then when I expressed confusion, she asked me why I was confused.  And when I responded that was an unfair question, yet such is life.  She asked me why it was an unfair question.  At that point I told her that I'd be ok. She seemed to express concern for herself, and then I wrote she'd be ok. She said hope so, and I said I hope so too.  And that was it.  No more communication from her since then.  I more than just a bit upset and annoyed, much more. It effected my ability to work and hobby yesterday, a total and complete sense of disappointment and irritation.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:56:54 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #859 on: July 30, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
Well GP there are more fish in the sea!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #860 on: July 30, 2020, 11:53:42 PM »
Day 93 - different kind of hobby but qualifies all the same. This was made in 1980 I think. It was also my favourite board war game of all time. Played this many times and every senario including the 10th jager brigade.  Inspired me to go to Berlin and go thru checkpoint Charlie. Bought it in 1980 and thru it out in a fit of moving depression a couple of years ago. Found it on eBay, original and unpunched.
Can’t believe it!
A Russian invasion of the city with the defenders being the French, US, British defense brigades and 36 companies of paramilitary German police units. It was a way of upping the defenders by using paramilitary units in the guise of police instead of bunderswehr units which was not allowed by treaty.

There is a great fictional diary short story of the initial invasion. I can post it if you like.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #861 on: July 31, 2020, 05:15:01 AM »
I spent most of yesterday evening, looking for a long-lost 20mm flak gun and found it. It was however damaged
After battling with an Italieri kit, i managed to make a new one.
Today i worked on some 'magic' tracks. Who knew Panzer 2 and Czech 38-T had the same tracks

• Members
« Reply #862 on: July 31, 2020, 06:57:39 AM »
Week 12
July 17th:
-Got my Kill Team Killzone Death World Forest in, so have assembled the first 3 parts (china cast so lots of moldlines and will need some greenstuff to hide joints)
-Got some more work done on my Foetid Bloat Drone
July 19th:
-Been building all day on the Death World Forest, but managed to finish building them!
July 20th:
-Got some more paint on my 10 fire warriors
July 21st:
-Build some more Frostgrave soldiers, got 12 total now
-Put some more paint on the Fire warriors
July 22nd:
-Even more paint on my Fire Warriors

Week 13
July 24th:
-Painted some more on the Foetid Bloat Drone
July 25th:
-After grabbing my 9th edition stuff early in the morning at the store I had some nice reading done in the books
July 26th:
-Made our (me and Benthe) crusade armies on paper and had loads of fun coming up with names for them
-Played our first little skirmish in 9th, with just 1 psyker and 1 troop choice unit, so we could get a hang of the new rules and to let Benthe get familiar with her Primaris Librarian
July 27th:
-Did a first draft of a 2k 9th ed list for my T'au
-Finished my 2nd Foetid Bloat Drone
-Did a little more work on the Intercessors
July 30th:
-More work done on the Intercessors

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #863 on: July 31, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »
Well GP there are more fish in the sea!
Very true.  And that is one of the pieces of knowledge that is appropriate for me to keep in mind, in other words be prepared to walk away, when I communicate with her next.  A good reminder, thank you.

I got a text last night asking how I was doing.  That was a surprise.  I haven't responded yet, and won't do so via text.  Instead, plan to escalate it to a phone call, and see if she's willing to talk in person, which is exactly what she could have been wiser to do.  I've rolled it all around for a good bit now, had multiple folks in my support network of family and friends review the series of texts, and all who have, each has made comments about the process she used to communicate whatever she was trying to say that failed.  So I will turn the table and practice what I didn't get in return.  While being ready to walk if the situation develops inappropriately.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #864 on: July 31, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
Sounds to me like she was hankering for a bit more progress in your relationship, and was trying to spark a bit of jealousy?

Or she was going for the "We can still be friends" situation

Either way it wasn't done very well.

We don't know how long you have been seeing her, how regularly, how deep the relationship has got, so commenting any further is hit and miss.

You should tread carefully, you have to take what you can get at your age, GP.     :biggriin:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #865 on: July 31, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »
Day 93 - different kind of hobby but qualifies all the same. This was made in 1980 I think. It was also my favourite board war game of all time. Played this many times and every senario including the 10th jager brigade.  Inspired me to go to Berlin and go thru checkpoint Charlie. Bought it in 1980 and thru it out in a fit of moving depression a couple of years ago. Found it on eBay, original and unpunched.
Can’t believe it!
A Russian invasion of the city with the defenders being the French, US, British defense brigades and 36 companies of paramilitary German police units. It was a way of upping the defenders by using paramilitary units in the guise of police instead of bunderswehr units which was not allowed by treaty.

There is a great fictional diary short story of the initial invasion. I can post it if you like.

[img width=375 height 281]https://artobansghost.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/img_0743-1.jpg[/img]

At that time, I had a subscription to their bi-monthly publication.  Can't recall if I had this issue or not.  Whatever remains of the various issues I had back then is questionable, probably at my parent's place, although now I am curious.  I have some of SPI's others that I've purchased via internet over the last dozen years or more.  I remember seeing Berlin 85 somewhere, but never playing it.  I am curious about it now after seeing this.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #866 on: July 31, 2020, 01:29:08 PM »
Sounds to me like she was hankering for a bit more progress in your relationship, and was trying to spark a bit of jealousy?
Could have been, and I have considered that.  But for me jealousy isn't the issue.  It is process.  I live in a world where I take women out to dancing events, and guys hit on the women I bring.  One time a guy even propositioned my lady on that day to go home with him instead of me, which she turned him down.  I don't get jealous, so if in this case she was seeking that, it is never about the other guy, it is about the relationship that I'm in with the lady.  And so if she was playing a game, which has come up multiple times with my support network, she needs to stop acting like a 15 year old and realize she's not dealing with a 15 year old either.

Or she was going for the "We can still be friends" situation
If that is the case and the method of telling me, it isn't going to garner what she is looking for.

Either way it wasn't done very well.

We don't know how long you have been seeing her, how regularly, how deep the relationship has got, so commenting any further is hit and miss.
All excellent comments, thank you for being understanding like that.

You should tread carefully, you have to take what you can get at your age, GP.     :biggriin:
:icon_lol:   :::cheers:::  For the moment her reaching out is not a bad move.  Obviously she wants to communicate.  No more texting on this now, and a phone call will be made to arrange a time to chat in person.  If that isn't to her liking, I move on, there are always other dancers waiting on the wings so to speak.  It is a high target environment for a guy, almost always more ladies than men, literally and figuratively.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:35:32 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #867 on: July 31, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »
Not really the hobby of this site but I have been since the end of May doing some remodeling work on my house, changing the a sort of big spare family room thing into a bar. How this then applies here is that I've gone with a wattle and daub look to the walls by adding dark stained timbers and such and to complete the theme some heraldic shields. Well two of those shields are Warhammer, being I did a Middenheim shield and an Ostland one as well. Painting heraldry at full scale is a bit different than in miniature but a bunch of things a similar. If I finally figure out what I want to use to host pictures these days I'll share some here.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #868 on: July 31, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »
Still brewing a good bit over that situation, yet folks can see that from what's already been tossed around on this thread above. :icon_lol:

Painted bolt gun onto the 6th of 6 horses' armor for my Knights of the Aver River.  Got out 6 knights, 5 are from the Knightly Orders kit, and one is an older metal figure.  The leader and three others have a metallic paint on them that doesn't match the bolt gun.  It is probably a thin coating of silver.  I vaguely recall using it to attempt to get a slightly shinier look to the armor for these guys, but it was so long ago, I hadn't figured out the concepts of building up and off of a black primer.  Up to that time I had mostly used gray and white for priming.  So not sure what I'm going to do with these yet, although glad I've been slowly moving in the direction of getting this unit completed during the 100 Days of Hobby.

- - -

Updating ...

Wednesday ... Day 92

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, GP, Realjuan, Gankom, Artoban, Padre, Mids

Yesterday ...

Thursday ... Day 93

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Artoban, GP, Realjuan, Gankom, Padre, Mids

Today ...

Friday ... Day 94

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:38:39 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #869 on: July 31, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »
I spent most of yesterday evening, looking for a long-lost 20mm flak gun and found it. It was however damaged
After battling with an Italieri kit, i managed to make a new one.
Today i worked on some 'magic' tracks. Who knew Panzer 2 and Czech 38-T had the same tracks
I love to see your updates like this, and so glad you're on this 100 Day journey with us, thank you! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #870 on: July 31, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »
Not really the hobby of this site but I have been since the end of May doing some remodeling work on my house, changing the a sort of big spare family room thing into a bar. How this then applies here is that I've gone with a wattle and daub look to the walls by adding dark stained timbers and such and to complete the theme some heraldic shields. Well two of those shields are Warhammer, being I did a Middenheim shield and an Ostland one as well. Painting heraldry at full scale is a bit different than in miniature but a bunch of things a similar. If I finally figure out what I want to use to host pictures these days I'll share some here.
This has my imagination conjuring dreams of doing something similar, thanks for sharing! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

And yes, those would be neat to see. :icon_mrgreen:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #871 on: July 31, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
This has my imagination conjuring dreams of doing something similar, thanks for sharing! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

I had planned a rough remodel when I looked to have a good tax return this year, then Covid struck, I had extra time and stimulus money so it has grown to the whole downstairs so a bathroom and a spare bedroom as well in a similar style. I hope to have the bar top done this weekend as well as the front and side. Walls and a new tile floor were done in June.

In addition to the Warhammer World shields I have two from ASoIaF (House Blackwood and House Mormont) and two from the Witcher (Kingdom of Brugge and Mahakam). The bar will have heraldric shields across the front as well since it is how I built the bar in my house back in college. Still had the Guinness shield from 15 years ago so touched it up a bit and have worked up a Pabst, Miller, and Hacker Pschorr one as well.

I also put in the room my grandparents old dinning room table for use in playing cards or more traditional entertainment/drinking games. I have toyed with the idea of making up a top for it to actually give me the option for a wargaming table that can be stored in back room most of the time, just depends how ambitious I get on the project over having to do the work on all the other core rooms as well.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• Members
« Reply #872 on: July 31, 2020, 10:56:51 PM »
Jeez so many weeks go past

Week 13
July 24th:
-Painted some more on the Foetid Bloat Drone
July 25th:
-After grabbing my 9th edition stuff early in the morning at the store I had some nice reading done in the books
July 26th:
-Made our (me and Benthe) crusade armies on paper and had loads of fun coming up with names for them
-Played our first little skirmish in 9th, with just 1 psyker and 1 troop choice unit, so we could get a hang of the new rules and to let Benthe get familiar with her Primaris Librarian
July 27th:
-Did a first draft of a 2k 9th ed list for my T'au
-Finished my 2nd Foetid Bloat Drone
-Did a little more work on the Intercessors
July 30th:
-More work done on the Intercessors

Week 14
July 31st:
-Hobbied together with Benthe most of this evening, she painted some bases of the Librarian and the 2nd squad of Intercessors while I was painting up the green layer color on the first squad of Intercessors

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #873 on: July 31, 2020, 11:35:51 PM »
Jeez so many weeks go past
It is has flown by this time.  More so for me then when I did the 100 Days of Painting in 2015.  I think this might be because the guys here are doing it too.  I'm very grateful already.

Week 14
July 31st:
-Hobbied together with Benthe most of this evening, she painted some bases of the Librarian and the 2nd squad of Intercessors while I was painting up the green layer color on the first squad of Intercessors
This is so cool. :::cheers:::

And updated above! :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:40:53 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #874 on: July 31, 2020, 11:37:37 PM »

I had planned a rough remodel when I looked to have a good tax return this year, then Covid struck, I had extra time and stimulus money so it has grown to the whole downstairs so a bathroom and a spare bedroom as well in a similar style. I hope to have the bar top done this weekend as well as the front and side. Walls and a new tile floor were done in June.

In addition to the Warhammer World shields I have two from ASoIaF (House Blackwood and House Mormont) and two from the Witcher (Kingdom of Brugge and Mahakam). The bar will have heraldric shields across the front as well since it is how I built the bar in my house back in college. Still had the Guinness shield from 15 years ago so touched it up a bit and have worked up a Pabst, Miller, and Hacker Pschorr one as well.

I also put in the room my grandparents old dinning room table for use in playing cards or more traditional entertainment/drinking games. I have toyed with the idea of making up a top for it to actually give me the option for a wargaming table that can be stored in back room most of the time, just depends how ambitious I get on the project over having to do the work on all the other core rooms as well.
Also, I really need to get off my duff and get back on my wordpress site, and see what I can do to get that further in motion, especially for posting pictures.