home

Author Topic: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...  (Read 72361 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...Not
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2020, 10:52:02 PM »
Now it's getting really fiddly, trying to work out how to fill the carroccio with corpses, and limber the horses, and decorate the upper platform for Biagino!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
In doing all this hobbying, begun to see I need to alter the sat up of some items in the hobby room.  Too many little in effective patterns have been developing, and so hope to make some adjustments soon.  Also enjoying getting back to painting!  :icon_cool:

Last update for the weekend  ...

Friday, Day 15

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Padre, Artoban, GP, Gankom, Rowsdower, Midaski, Realjuan

5 Days Per Week ... Zygmund

3 Days Per Week ... SKS, and Novogord

(Those reporting in are bolded.)

And ...

Saturday, Day 16

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... GP, Artoban, Gankom, Padre, Midaski, Realjuan, Rowsdower

Sunday is rolling ...

Sunday, Day 17

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... GP, Midaski, Realjuan, Artoban, Padre, Rowsdower, Gankom

- - - - - -

Monday has arrived ...

Monday, Day 18

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Padre, GP, Midaski, Artoban, Gankom, Rowsdower, Realjuan

If I'm missing anything, let me know! :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:42:21 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2020, 01:14:06 AM »
Day 17 - the only thing that could count as hobby is looking at Mids amazing terrain and ordering some moulds for flagstones and fieldstone walls.
Also saved polymer clay supplies and greenstuff world to the favourites as suggested by Naitsabes. Started looking for rollers then got overwhelmed by all the other cool stuff. When I find more courage I’ll order the cobblestone roller and 8 oz of Clay.   
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2020, 02:14:54 AM »
Day 17 - ...
Surely ya meant Day 18. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2020, 03:14:52 AM »
Day 17 - ...
Surely ya meant Day 18. :icon_wink:

Yes indeed.  I was thinking Tuesday was the 18th.....  I better check my schedule as everything this week is planned on a dime. 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2020, 03:54:24 AM »
After inheriting my grandmother's sewing worktable, I have now moved from my storage room out the back kitchen door, and into my hobby room.  It has extended the hobby table to an 8 and a half foot length.  Although it is only 4 feet long this means the 5x7 can also hold a 4x8 playing area.

More work to do in the hobby room with some additional organizing.  However moved on to more painting of my horses for my Knights of the Aver River.  And then also glued 5 heads and an arm onto some French WW1 infantry figures that had crashed to the floor one day and these needed fixing.

That's how things usually are for me, I tend to move around form one project to the next.  It helps to keep me feeling liek I am gettign multiple things done, and seems to make things interesting.

Updating ...

Monday, Day 18

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Padre, Artoban, GP, Midaski, Gankom, Rowsdower, Realjuan

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:57:52 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2020, 05:44:13 AM »
Week 3:
Friday 15th:
Normally this is my painting evening, but I didn't paint much. Apparently it was "The Naked Gun" on TV and I watched it first, such a good movie from Leslie Nielsen
Then I proceeded in painting some undead.

Saturday 16th:
This evening I wanted to do something different. So I started cleaning moldlines and flash from some Chinese/Spanish Steel Legion. I will also have to fill some small casting mistakes in the Spanish figures.

Monday 18th:
I cleaned my painting desk and repaired a photo frame.
After this I continued cleaning those Steel Legion. I'm still far from finished, so much flash, moldlines,...
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »
Ah, you're moving along steadily, congrats!  I will update both posts above.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:58:07 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
Nearly finishes the chariot and bray shaman today.
Very little to do to finish the army

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »
Updating ...

Monday, Day 18

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Padre, Artoban, GP, Gankom, Midaski, Rowsdower, Realjuan

New day arrives ...

Tuesday, Day 19

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Gankom, Padre, Artoban, GP, Midaski, Realjuan

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:43:23 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »
Day 19 - Textured six bases & basecoated four oil barrels.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2020, 05:35:26 PM »
Updated above for ya. :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
Doing an excellent job tracking GP!

I've joined a campaign on Discord that's 'redoing' the End Times as a player driven campaign. It's been running since late last year, so the initial Chaos invasion is over. Crippled Chaos but got driven back before it hit the Empire. Erengrad has been annexed by the Empire and now a joint Imperial/Bret Crusade is slamming into the shores of Norsca. I'm joining in as Karak-Hirn and likely starting with securing the borders of the hold, killing a psychic spider beast creature and then venturing out to help the other Dwarf Holds fight off Skaven.

So for me, Day 17 was reading through a mountain of campaign updates and taking notes.

Day 18 was plotting out my own starting fluff.

Day 19 is starting updates of my own! I'll have a game later this week to start off the hunt for the spiders lair, so today I drew up some army lists and started unburying the models needed.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2020, 10:44:31 PM »
Updated the last post with 17 in it for ya  ::heretic::, and then the one above for 18 & 19. :icon_cool:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2020, 11:36:55 PM »
Day 19. - started some colours on my other set of miners. Not too much activity though.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2020, 12:00:30 AM »
I painted red on Papal spearmen, their tunics and shields.  Was having issues focusing, both visually and mentally ... fatigue and age.  So turned it in for the night.

Learned previously that when my painting isn't going good, it isn't good to continue.

Updating again ...

Monday, Day 18

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Padre, Artoban, GP, Gankom, Midaski, Rowsdower, Realjuan

And ...

Tuesday, Day 19

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Gankom, Artoban, GP, Padre, Midaski, Realjuan

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:44:43 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2020, 06:15:40 AM »
Thanks  :::cheers:::
This quest has really encouraged me to paint a little more! The painting speed is still low and progress is slow, but now it is a little more continuously.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2020, 07:29:41 AM »
A few more bits and bobs done about hobby

Week 1
May 1st:
- Started making a reference sheet of the Salamanders for Benthe to cope with all the rules (in dutch with keeping the english names), did the overal rules and a first unit and let her review it.
- Painted some more Salamanders with Benthe, she did some bases in red as foundation for the lava and I put on a first layer of the lighter green on 1 Inceptor and glued another to its flying stand
- Painted the Noxious Blightbringer to an almost finished stage
May 3rd:
- Completing the reference sheet with all the Primaris models she has. As I wanted to do a sheet on strategems also I noticed that the Salamnders Data Cards set doesn't include startegems for the generic Space Marines and that the Data Cards box I have is an old version. To bad the store didn't have the new one yet.
May 5th:
-Played a game of 40k with Benthe, at 775 vs 776 points Salamanders vs Death Guard a maelstrom game from the main book with the new set up rules, but cards the old way. 4 battlerounds and we called it on a 8-8 tie!

Week 2
May 8th:
-Painted a few (6) Salamander bases in it's base color (red) and put the 2nd layer of lighter green on the 2nd Inceptor and after that glued him to the flying stand (1 more to go). And started some work on a Lieutenant.
-Finished up the Noxious Blightbringer, and washed the base of the Malignant Plaguecaster and fixed the gaps in his right pauldron. He will be next to start on from my Death Guard army, after him only the Lord of Contagion and the Plagueburst Crawler to go!
May 9th:
-Painted a bit on a second Lieutenant and a base on Adrax.
-Splashed the first colour on the Malignent Plaguecaster.
-As it was a nice day today and from tomorrow it might go colder and rainy again I decided I wanted to prime the last models of my T'au standing army and the Plagueburst Crawler, I needed to pva glue some sand and rocks on the bases of the T'au for that so I did that first today and this evening I sprayed the models.

May 10th:
-Read through a few (2) WD's I still needed to read/browse through, I managed this during mothersday!
May 11th:
-Due to circumstances didn't do much on my regular hobby evening, but did manage to slap on a layer of ulthuan grey on my Broadside

So week 3 has come and gone almost also, need to get my act togther and follow all th great work everyone is doing. But got a bit distracted by a side project as I want to get rid of my Stamp collection (inherrited and given mostly have not collected much of it my self), but to gt a decent price I want to know how much it's worth so I ended up putting it all in catawki's online catalog collection. But it is A LOT of stamps.
Anyway I did manage to do some work past monday atleast and will do some this evening and I'm free tomorrow to do my 3rd day this week, so should be fine!

Week 3
May 18th:
-Painted more on my Maglinant Plaguecaster and he is nearly finished, just a bit more metal doing the wash over that and a few details to pick out and the finish off the base.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2020, 10:45:07 AM »
"Textured"    Zyg came up with the accurate word for what I have been calling sticking filler on bases to hide an in-built metal or plastic base on a mini. :eusa_clap:
I shall remember - if only because it means I don't have to type that word 'spackle' again.  :biggriin:

Day 18    -  Monday May 18th

My paint restorer kit.  :biggriin:  Spent a couple of hours reclaiming pots.
However did run in to a problem with my very old Cote D'armes flip-top bottles where the plastic lids are disintegrating. The paint though is still fine.  :eusa_clap:

Need to find somewhere to get empty pots to transfer paint in to???  :icon_question:

Also sorted out some halfling torsos I need for a project - went through my entire halfling collection looking for suitable candidates and broken figures that might convert.

Day 19   -   Tuesday May 19th

Bit of a scenery day - made up a couple more 'fields/enclosures' with left over pieces mainly from the Fortified Manor sets, and then I started on some tents I have.

I am going to base them up in groups, and make campfire dioramas to go with them, but I ran into a layout conundrum.
My original intent (badumtish  :engel: ) was to set them up in a row like this:

and

A 25mm gap so that minis could move between the tents to enhance gameplay, BUT then I saw some real-life pics where they were set up like this:

https://i.imgur.com/Qvic2Ek.jpg[/img]

which I found strange, as in my dim and distant camping memories, tents would have guy ropes splayed out at various angles to keep them upright.

So our resident historians need to come forth and advise me.
I have some bits of mdf ready to be trimmed.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »
Re: tents.

Circumstances rule. As you see from this picture during my time garrisoning Skipton Castle ...

... the tents are close. They were almost as close in the other tented areas too. The maths goes like this (and yes, I am entirely aware how completely unnecessary this is!) ...

X tents in Y space. X is constant. The smaller Y is, the closer together the tents.

It all depends on the available space.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2020, 11:43:31 AM »
Thanks  :::cheers:::
This quest has really encouraged me to paint a little more! The painting speed is still low and progress is slow, but now it is a little more continuously.
As mentioned in the original post of this thread, this started 5 years ago when I heard about that professor's assignment to her students.  In having them pick something to do for 100 days in a row, she said it would change their life.  When I took on the challenge back then with my 100 Days of Painting, it really did change my life ... became a better painter, got way more figures done, and even though it was a struggle sometimes to get some in to the day, I ended up experiencing a good bit of peace and joy, more so than had I not done it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »
Ta da!

Last Monday Update, Day 18

3 Days Per Week ... SKS, Novogord

And ...

Tuesday, Day 19

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Gankom, Artoban, GP, Midaski, Padre, Realjuan

Starting ...

Wednesday, Day 20

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Gankom, Artoban, GP, Padre, Midaski, Realjuan

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:39:41 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »
Finished 4 gors today AND the Bray shaman
5 models left to do

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2020, 01:11:54 PM »
Updated above, and congrats! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
Yesterday (Tuesday) managed to make a fourth 'be-skulled' bar to go over a pair of horses' backs. No idea (despite research) what this might actually be called. I had the one already on the carroccio, and two earlier versions (from an earlier Black Coach model?) in my bits box. You can see the two pre-made versions at either side in the photo. The new one I tried to make a bit like both of those!

Today I am fiddling about starting to pile up corpses for the inside!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:47:27 PM by Padre »