home

Author Topic: Fantasy Tribes Project: STONE GIANTS  (Read 260 times)

Offline Shadespyre

Fantasy Tribes Project: STONE GIANTS
« on: September 13, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
Back to the Giants...

I'm waiting for more Fire and Frost Giants in the next Reaper Bones KS delivery, so I thought I'd do Stone Giants next. I've only got a few of them compared to the others, and I have a little sketch I made ages ago as a concept.

Unfortunately, when I start putting the concept together at actual size, it starts to get a little bit big...

That's a 12 inch / 30 cm ruler for scale. I've never made anything this big and ambitious. I'm already a bit concerned that it's beyond me to make it look good, if I'm honest.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Autumn has arrived! : )
Re: Fantasy Tribes Project: STONE GIANTS
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:20:27 PM »
Take your time, don't rush, it'll come out well.  It has reminded me of some older 25mm giants that I have, although now with 28mm, perhaps best used as ogres.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:37:53 PM »
Hmmm, you raise a good point - I should check through my other, older giants to see if anyone needs to be included.

Online ZeroTwentythree

• i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »
Looks interesting so far. What are you going to use to build up the terrain?

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
Well, I started off using this cardboard as a way to think about positions in 3D space, but I might keep it and build around it. I scored some off-cuts of industrial insulation foam from the recent renovations at work, it's polyisocyanurate rather than polystyrene but it was free and it's light and strong so I think I will try to cut the slopes out of that, and backfill the space. It'll keep the weight down I hope.

There's not much of a plan, if I overplan I never start!

My main fear is it will end up with lots of empty, boring rock, so please make suggestions for things (miniatures) that I might include

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 08:57:24 AM »
My main fear is it will end up with lots of empty, boring rock, so please make suggestions for things (miniatures) that I might include
You can always decorate the bases with skeletons from eaten stuff.
Or you could decorate the wall with some simple painting, like from the stone age?
And maybe some gnoblars, little dragons,... crawling or running around?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 03:35:46 PM »
Bones are always a good bet.  Maybe if I think about it I could hide some tiny humanoids of some sort around the scene - I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
Will the scene be winter or a different season?  Such a choice, no matter what season, can also give flavor to a diorama.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 09:19:54 PM »
Not winter, because I'll be saving that for Frost Giants. So let's keep it fairly temperate. Obviously non-artic, non-winter mountains have snow on them, it might be a nice feature for the upper areas but I don't want to focus on it.

Does anyone know where I can get some nice mountain goats or similar miniatures? According to AD&D lore, Stone Giants keep goats...

Here's the next step, bulking it out with the foam, you can see where I intend to put some of the steps between levels.

I think the next step is to make the actual platforms that the minis will stand on - I want to use hex bases again, so I need to make sure there is room for those to fit in each position.

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
Thrilling huh? Here's more dull pictures of stuff :)

Platforms. I've drawn in nominal giant positions though there is still some wriggle room for now.

I didn't really have room for the bottom stairs as envisaged, so I'm moving them to the front and there will be a curved bit at the top. This also leaves the opportunity for a rock bridge or archway to add some interest to the scene.

I'm not 100% happy with the smaller, white giant and might still get a second rock throwing model to convert and place here instead

Finally, the top part is under-developed because I want to put a doorway into the mountain here. Not yet sure whether to cut out the back board or just build it forward from that plane so until I decide the top will be ignored...

I could definitely use more ideas for incidental minis to enhance the scene - keep shouting out ideas (and ideally specific miniatures) please!

Online ZeroTwentythree

• i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 02:25:53 AM »
I like the goat idea, especial if they are climbing around...

Maybe try Irregular. The sculpting on their figures can be hit & miss but I think that's where I got some of my (small) 28mm livestock from and they look good. They have a bunch of animals, some at larger scales that might look better with the giants & bears?
http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/LIV11_Middle_Eastern_Goats--product--5345.html

http://dark-platypus.com/product/spider-goat/  :engel:

How about some small scrub/shrub/weeds with a snake hiding around? Vulture? Bird nest?

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »
I would build the door / gate more to the front of model. So you don't have to cut holes in the model and create some peeking holes.
Would you go for a medieval look of a gate or just a rocky entrance?

I really like the idea of the bears. You can always put some trees or bushes on the side of the mountain to create the look 023 posted?
Or maybe some pile of rubble with broken wood, ... from a landslide?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »
Magic levi-goats, as pictured. Gotta happen! I was originally hoping to use all Reaper minis, but they let me down for once...

For the doorway, I'm thinking of a rune carved stone doorway and maybe a big stone door. With runes. I iamgine the door being a big slab of stone so that when closed, from a distance, it's basically invisible.

I found some Pendraken 28mm goats on ebay. All the same sculpt but 5 for 5 posted is a strong sales point.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:57:19 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 06:34:56 PM »
Just adding bits of foam and so on to cover up most of the cardboard. At some point I'll be slapping some sort of ground filler all over this, so probably best to protect the non-waterproof bits just in case!

Still not much of a plan, really just adding offcuts as I feel like. Will probably work on the entrance and top section a bit next.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 07:04:41 PM »
That is looking like some good progress there! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
More progress. This picture is a bit busy because of the bits clamped in place. I cut myselt an arched doorway in a block of foam, and then decided to cut out the board behind it before gluing it in place, because it would be much harder afterwards if I decided it was needed after all.

I also put in the stairs, which was a lot harder than I expected. I think they will be alright though. The top flight is much messier than I'd like, and the bottom set a bit too neat, but that can all be tweaked.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 08:59:00 PM »
Stairs will be irregular anyway if they are 'cut' out of the mountainside.

Seasonal vegetation can add some sporadic colour - maybe autumn browns and oranges, or spring greenery and flowers - just small bits in the vertical sides of the mountain.

The goats is a good idea, but be careful they don't detract from the giants - if the giants are in 'fighting' action, it is likely that the goats will have scarpered to safety???

Perhaps some birds? Smaller than the goats and reminiscent of scavengers on rhinos or elephants?

As you say - you might need something to break up lots of rock, but you don't want too much to take the focus off the giants.   
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
I'm for one goat on the side, other wise it could detract form the giants.  Multiple birds seems ok too, they are smaller.

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 11:25:55 PM »
Some good points, thanks.

Yes, there is going to be a lot of rock, but I mustn't ignore the plant life, it is going to be the main source of colour, especially with the giants being rock coloured, too. I'm thinking pockets of bright alpine flowers and also some creeping vines. I may need to shop for some new tufts.

Birds are an excellent call, I might be able to get a nest or two in. I think one goat might look odd, whereas two or three would suggest a flock. The fighty bit is really the bottom right hand corner, so I'm thinking maybe of putting them in the big space to the right of the doorway. I have no plans for that area yet. If they are even semi-domesticated goats then they would probably feel safest nearer the giants, anyway?

I've deliberately left a hollow space above the second staircase / below the door. This might be a nice nook to hide something in - a corpse, a forgotten treasure trove, who knows what?

The other large, undefined area is at the bottom. The rock bridge gives me space I didn't expect to have. I didn't really want this to feel like the bottom of the mountain, either, so I think I need to break up this flat area. Maybe raise the final two minis up a bit so I can have the ground fall again in front of and behind them?

I'm also wondering about introducing water to the scene? I think I needed to plan-in a full blown stream, but maybe I could get a spring in, a small pool, possibly even a little water fall?

Offline Rowsdower

• Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 07:38:35 AM »
Great job. I love seeing scenery made from scavenged detritus

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
So far it is all from scrap apart from the foamboard platforms and the glue. Even the coat of emulsion I just daubed on it was from old test pots.

I took these pics before doing that, this is where I'm at after a week and I'm a bit stuck tbh.

I think I need to decide more about what the "finish" will look like before I go a lot further. Once I cover that foam with more than paint it's going to be harder to make changes.

Oh, the extra bits and bobs are just there for a sense of scale and how extra minis might "interrupt" or "enhance" the scene.

Some next steps though:

- cork hexes on the platforms for the bases to fit into
- some sort of "door frame"
- "box in" the sides (which are cut out of a continuing mountainside, in my head at least)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 08:09:59 PM »
Love this terrain Project!  :-)

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline Shadespyre

« Reply #22 on: Today at 07:01:08 PM »
Thanks mate :)

A bit of progress - a coat of emulsion paint and now the cork surrounds for the hex bases. I think I've made these a little too tight so it'll be important to keep the edges clean (again)

I now have some goats and some vultures which I might use with the giants and bears, too.