home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of 40K 10th Edition!  (Read 2483 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Rumours and what's new to be expected of 40K 10th Edition!
« on: March 13, 2023, 08:23:58 AM »
Is 10th edition coming this year in June?  Looks like it.

Rumor has it that the rules will become similar to Age of Sigmar.

Suppose to be new models for Leagues of Votan, World Eaters, and Imperial Guard.

Toughness may be removed from game play, which would  be a huge change if that happens.

The Arks of Omen books appear to be heading in a different direction than 9th edition.

Starter set to be Tyranids and Space Marines … with new Terminator models.

A very brief teaser … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZZ_7f1Bkpo
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of 40K 10th Edition!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:01:56 PM »
Seeing rumors that are starting to add up to 10th Edition going towards a simplification of 40K.

Apparently most recent codexes of IG and Worldeaters seemed to have moved away from 9th, including a move away from overly detailed subfactions at a minimum.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 05:17:54 PM »
World eaters sure got simplified but I wouldn't say IG did. Its about par for course, there's a mountain of subfactions although its much more designed as the "Choose your own" as opposed to "named" subfactions. On the other side, the world eaters essentially got straight up none.

Interestingly enough, both 8 and 9th were also declared as simplification of 40k, and to a large degree they were. They got rid of tons of the vehicle rules (Like facing, armor on sides/rear/ etc) and also streamlined huge phases of the game. It actually really did speed everything up.

What DIDN'T help, and is clearly what they want to fix now, is the bloat that happened in army books as opposed to core rules. The strategems are a really cool feature, but the sheer number of them exploded beyond belief. The subfactions were similar. The first few books had a few cool ones, but then it kept going and going. Pretty normal gdubs blat.

That said, I'm deeply unhappy to see a new edition. Its been about 'time', and its more or less on the schedule it usually is. But I'm just so tired of having to relearn a rule set again every 3 years, and especially when they've JUST managed to put out all the books for the last set. Its not surprising, again, pretty classic gdubs, but does mean I'll probably be sitting out most of 10th at the local store.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 08:12:43 PM »
My last 40K full on effort was 5th edition.  I started with 9th, reading the rule book, wanting to start some Necrons, yet never really fully committed.

Yes, strategems and subfactions were full on, and it was sort of neat, yet just added to the number of rules.

I have no interest in Tyranids, so won't buy the rumored starter set for 10th.

Besides, Warhammer: The Old World is coming! :biggriin:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 04:05:54 AM »
10th Edition trailer dropped, with some model previews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98ImCbhjnI

They also confirm that the terminators are not necessarily Primaris, but instead are now drawn from both First Born AND Primaris.

and the scale of the new Termies

Plus a bunch of new Tyranids. They say its going to be the largest update of the bugs they've ever done, and the cinematic includes a number of other units that seem to be getting a big update. Screamer-Killer time!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 04:10:21 AM by Gankom »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 04:20:16 AM »
A lot of pretty big rule changes coming.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/23/a-mindblowing-new-edition-of-warhammer-40000-is-coming/

Edit:

These big changes to rules and armies mean that the current range of codexes are being retired. The rules in them don’t work with the new edition, but remember that the rules for all your units will be available free online at launch.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 08:27:34 AM »
Some other highlights from the pre-review ...

On starter box:
You’d better believe there’ll be new models – there’s a massive new launch set on the way – and we might be biased, but we think it’s the best Warhammer box ever.

On new rules:
There are some big changes to gameplay, which has been completely overhauled for this edition. We started with what the fans were telling us about the game you play.

You told us that while Warhammer 40,000 is a fun game, there are parts that are overcomplicated, and that the learning curve for new players is pretty steep. In particular, many felt there were too many stratagems and too much complexity in army selection. We’ve listened and the new edition has been simplified – but it’s not simple.

This is still the rich, deep wargame that you know and love – we’ve just doubled down on the best bits. So instead of a huge raft of faction stratagems, you’ll have access to a handful of the best ones. There’re also a few new universal stratagems which anyone can use, that allow you to be reactive in your opponent’s turn.

There are improvements like this everywhere – in turn structure, army selection, morale, terrain, missions, the ways in which characters interact with units, and more. The list goes on, and we’ll explain more about each of these changes in the coming weeks.

On data sheets:
Maybe the biggest change in the new edition is to datasheets.

The way core information on a datasheet is presented has changed, and with it we took the opportunity to re-stat every unit in Warhammer 40,000.

Every unit has new and reevaluated rules, so every army will feel new from day one of the new edition.

This huge update has also given us the opportunity to look again at lethality and durability across the entire game, and rebalance it at a stroke – something we could never do outside the launch of a new edition.

On the size of rules:
You also told us that you didn’t want to carry as many books with you to games.

On the first day of the new edition, the rules for every datasheet in 40k will be free to download, or available to buy as convenient and portable card decks. Even your faction and army rules now take up just a couple of pages.

The whole experience is more convenient, compact, and efficient than ever before, and it delivers amazing games with less desperate leafing between pages looking for that one special rule.

On army selection:
Army selection is equally straightforward: pick a faction, a warlord, and the units you like (just no more than three of any one type*), and stay within your points limit. That’s it!

You no longer have to fit your army into a force organization chart, or compromise on the army you really want. It’s a simple and liberating system, and opens the door to all kinds of fun, thematic or unusual armies.

These big changes to rules and armies mean that the current range of codexes are being retired. The rules in them don’t work with the new edition, but remember that the rules for all your units will be available free online at launch.

On codexs:
Don’t go throwing your codex in the recycling just yet. As well as months of gaming left with the current edition, your codexes remain a rich repository of lore and inspiration on your army, and one that won’t be immediately replaced.

Codexes will return in time to replace the free rules, but when they do the complexity of the game won’t increase, thanks to a one-in-one-out ethos for army and sub-faction rules. Effectively, you will only ever need your unit datasheets, the two pages of rules that govern your chosen army (available in your codex, on cards, or digitally), plus the core rules and whatever mission you’re playing.

On Arks of Omen and Crusade rules:
There’s one exception to note. The Arks of Omen books and Boarding Patrols will persist, so you can keep purging those space hulks into the new edition and beyond.

Likewise, for those Eternal Crusaders out there who have built up a mighty host through their narrative games and want to bring their Crusade army with them into the new edition, there are rules to let you do this too.

On new Combat Patrol way to play:
As well as continuing support for Crusade and matched play, the new edition will introduce a brand new way to play the game: Combat Patrol.

This version is designed to be easy to collect and easy to play. Combat Patrol pitches small preset and balanced forces against each other, with the armies made of Combat Patrol boxes!

This simplified version of Warhammer 40,000 that’s perfect for beginners, but also means that anyone starting a new force has a game they can begin to play very quickly, without having to build and paint 2,000 points of troops before a dice is even rolled. It’s also great for hobby butterflies, who hop from one project to the next and prefer to sample a little of each army’s nectar.

They said previously this was going to be "seismic".  Seems like they've put a bunch of effort into this, and  they mentioned more will be coming in an ongoing manner.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 08:30:10 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 08:37:51 AM »
Preview video ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39LxfGfRk4

By the way, apparently all data sheets will be free to down load.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 08:38:49 AM »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 01:07:56 PM »
I think everything I have seen on 10th is very cool. I have to laugh at how GW just kills off the old codexes after people have just bought them, but the changes are needed I think. If the trailer is any indication of what we will get in the starter (like Indomintus) then I will be pretty excited. The Tyranids look great.

I am also excited that this is the last edition of 40k I will ever buy regardless what happens. After owning 10 editions, I just want to sit on my pile of shame and work on everything I have collected. I think this edition is a great way to close things out.

I also hope they do a similar subscription service like Imperium 40,000, but to be honest not all sure what they could include for the marines that I don't already have, and I do not want doubles.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 07:49:42 PM »
IG and the new world eaters aren't being able to use their new codexes longer than half a year, ouch.

Anyway, this total reassessment and restructuring could be a good thing.  I like the philosophy of "simpler, not simple".  I also like the concept of being able to pick up a combat patrol box/minimal number of figures, and then give the game a go at the Combat Patrol level.

Here's a list of some questions that GW has answered, which seems to give a decent overview of stuff ...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/24/10th-edition-warhammer-40000-your-questions-answered/

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 08:49:52 PM »
I like how they moved BS to the weapon. This means a unit could have different BS for various weapons and I think that is going to be pretty cool.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 02:08:03 AM »
I haven't taken a close look at some of these changes yet.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 02:10:25 AM »
I heard that GW is going to get rid of the codexes in this edition, and the stat cards that will be available at the release will be what players will be able to download and play. The funny thing about this is, TTCombat was already doing this with Dropzone and Dropfleet. So when cards get updated they are available for everyone immediately.

I think GW isn’t doing this out of the kindness of their heart, there is a global paper shortage and I heard it’s hit the UK especially hard. I imagine codexes might be hitting a price point they feel players won’t buy, and since they are into selling plastic more, they are gambling making the game easier and cheaper to get into for new players will balance out the loss of sales from codexes.

What players will love is that cards will be updated and available for download so you don’t have to worry about dated codexes or FAQs. Assuming this is what they plan on doing.

Plus we are in the digital age. I do love my old books, but man do I spend a lot of time on my phone reading books and stuff online. Might as well make the content easier to get to players.

Not saying books won’t be released, but I don’t see what value Codexes will have if you put that background in the rulebook instead of 10,000 pictures of models.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 10:02:52 AM »
Had seen a rumor somewhere that they might go to 3 or 4 codexes only ... humans, chaos, zenos ... that sort of thing.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 04:21:14 PM »
New thread up to on what it means for the books. They confirm that all 9th edition codexes and cards are obsolete, there will be free data cards for all units online plus "inexpensive" packs of physical cards you can buy. Plus there will eventually be 10th edition codexes coming eventually.

So not getting rid of books entirely, sounds more like the index system they did at the start of 8th.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 05:01:39 PM »
Yep, they are essentially scrapping the old system to a large degree.

Here's a link to that article ...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/28/warhammer-40000-what-does-the-new-game-mean-for-your-codexes/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 12:43:00 PM »
I am really excited about this edition, and eagerly wait for the new starter. Not just because of the rule changes, but I really think the Ultramarine-Tyranid theme goes really well, and I just absolutely love the art of Tyranids invading lately. It all looks so epic.

Honestly the Tyranids are more terrifying than Chaos, and I don't really think that should be the case. I think Chaos Demons should be the most horrific things in the universe, but Chaos is constantly getting upstaged by the nids. I mean if I was in 40k, I would fear a Tyranid invasion, whereas with Chaos I would just be reaching for my bolter.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
Folks can play the new 10 edition at the Kansas City Open ...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/05/try-out-the-new-edition-of-warhammer-40000-at-the-upcoming-kansas-city-open/

... is anybody going :icon_question:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 04:29:39 PM »
Its a pretty massive change it seems. Getting rid of all aura's and stuff will sure shake up the meta.

The new edition of Warhammer 40,000 is bringing some pretty massive changes to the rules. One of the most eye-catching is the way that CHARACTERS now interact with their subordinates. The powerful Aura bonuses that they used to impart on all nearby troops are gone – in almost all cases. These effects were powerful, but the potential to stack them up made balancing the game tricky.

So now, rather than handing out re-rolls to anyone in earshot, your heroes now join a single squad and act as one cohesive unit. It’s an elegant system that helps keep over-buffed super-units at bay.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2023, 05:28:57 PM »
It seems they are coming through on what was being said at the beginning of these announcements ... big changes.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2023, 02:52:02 PM »
New starter box previewed, and its a chonky one.