home

Author Topic: The mortar  (Read 15333 times)

Offline Khunag

• Members
  • The J is like an H Ricky, Hal-a-peen-o
Re: The mortar
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
I would take mortar to every battle if i had this one:

:engel:
http://trollsforge.com/

Quote from: rufus sparkfire
No matter where you go, there's always a Polish guy waiting to tell you all about winged hussars.  :icon_razz:

Offline Raulmichile

• Members
  • ĦĦĦAjua!!!
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 06:09:21 PM »

Now that is a mortar!    :::cheers:::
"No 1000 year war veteran demon boom-blasting god-eating lord of the neverdying alwayscheesing can resist a 120 point cannon ball to the gut."

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »
Sword of Fate, Mace of Hellsturm, beast cowers, pit of shades... we have gone through this before.

None of which are as efficient or effective as the Great Cannon.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2009, 06:02:51 AM »

So what ? You get to say "Pie plate of doom" hundreds of times during a game. That compensates plenty for not having cannons. Not every game is about the marbles, you know...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
Philly will not bother to engage unless his marbles is at stake!  :icon_mrgreen:

The Empire army is more or less built around the power of the great cannon. However, I feel a bit tempted to try out a steam tank in the future to keep some artillery power, get a nice mobile battering ram, and free some special slots.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »
gamezone does make a nice mortar. Their cannon is nice also. steveb

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:07:49 PM by steveb »

Offline Khunag

• Members
  • The J is like an H Ricky, Hal-a-peen-o
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
gamezone does make a nice mortar. Their cannon is nice also. steveb

And it really looks like a GREAT cannon  :icon_razz:
http://trollsforge.com/

Quote from: rufus sparkfire
No matter where you go, there's always a Polish guy waiting to tell you all about winged hussars.  :icon_razz:

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »
I just magnetised a mortar so I can convert it into a cannon. Should I call it a Moron ?

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
I just magnetised a mortar so I can convert it into a cannon. Should I call it a Moron ?
here is an idea for lord soth; since you have an extra barrel laying around while one is in use. Make a base with thick foam. cut a pit into it. then place the barrel, mortar or cannon vertical on the side of the pit facing the enemy, you now have a historical use of spare barrels as a weapon.  this was done at fort sumter at the begining of the ACW, they had extra barrels and no carriages so they dug holes lowered the barrels into them  so that they were facing Charleston and used them like mortars to lob shells into the town.  Way way back, when cannons were first being used, someone used wooden cannons in a similar manner, they buried them on the battlefield so that they couldn't be seen (sideways to the direction of the approach=a flank shot) with just the muzzle uncovered and when the enemy crossed the field of fire they fired directly into their flank with grape. very effectively broke the charge.  I hope you are able to use this bit of fluff that floated to the top of my conciousness today.  steveb

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
Interesting stuff, Steveb! Especially the last one in case I make a farmer based army.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Wyrdlight

• Members
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »
Morters are just low str big template rock lobba's right?

Well stone throwers are pretty dam accurate i can guess ranges to within a half inche most times and with a a big template your often gonna hit SOMTHING.  And its cheap i think an empire army should be 50% state troops and milita i dont like armies that spam 2 heltroms and 3 cannon ect its massivly unfluffy and would not ever happen less you are playing a seige game and are defending Nuln.

They hit alot, are cheap and can mow down vast numbers of low T troops... i see no reason not to take one in a standard army.   Indirect fire would be nice but not essential.

Offline Bunkka-pop

• Members
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »
Indirect fire would be kickass, just think about placing a mortar IN a forest and bombarding enemy from there? No more flyer warmachine hunter problems = D
"Argh!  Heretic scum!  I hate you with a fiery passion that only Sigmar himself could understand!  To prove it, I shall smite the bejesus out of this guy over here!"

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »
My mortar has done quite nicely against "horde" armies, and my opponents try as hard to eliminate it as the cannon, which means I only lose 75 points when they get it instead of 100, and I got 25 more points to use somewhere else.  At the 1,000 point level, I've been  finding it works out ok.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2009, 06:06:15 PM »
Indirect fire would be kickass, just think about placing a mortar IN a forest and bombarding enemy from there? No more flyer warmachine hunter problems = D
I'm liking this idea.  Got to give it a try if the opportunity presents itself. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
And I'm working on more, so I can field the 6 pie-plate army of DOOOOOM
6? Why not take 5, plus one unit of GS, a BSB and 3 engies? That really kicks ass!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2009, 05:20:06 PM »
i see no reason not to take one in a standard army.   

Cannons
Pistoliers
Outriders
Great Swords
IC knights.

there are 5 reasons not to take them
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
And I'm working on more, so I can field the 6 pie-plate army of DOOOOOM
6? Why not take 5, plus one unit of GS, a BSB and 3 engies? That really kicks ass!

Because then it wouldn't be....

the 6 pie-plate army of DOOOOOM

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »
Well, you can also ignore the GS :roll:
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
What Steveb described above whith the barrelstave cannons was one of the first uses of gunpowder weapons on a european battlefield. Done by the lithuanians against the Teutonic Order.  This was a VERY early battle for gunpowder, occuring sometime just before the battle of Tannenburg (1410)
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »
I would definitely agree with suggestions of making the mortar a 2 for 1 special choice.  I believe that then makes it competitive with one unit of Outriders or Pistoliers and might make people think about using them instead of Helstorms.  It doesn't need Strength 4 because that makes it very close in design to the Helstorm.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
so.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:38 PM »
Cannons
Pistoliers
Outriders
Great Swords
IC knights.

Cannons: serve a different purpose than mortars.  Cannon cracks one big nut, while the mortar is for pest control.

Pistoliers Ourtiders: are mobile and shooty, but do not fare well against shooty enemies.  The mortar, in contrast, is static, but is can suck up a great deal of incoming fire as most shooting willhit the machine and not the crew.  At T6 the mortar can suck up a lot of shooting.

Greatswords:  Expensive, compared to the mortar, and again, both serve very different purposes.  The GS are a tarpit unit with a decent combat capacity, while the mortar is used to deal with threats from a distance.  You can use the mortar to whittle that unit of swordmasters down before they hit your lines at full strength.  Using the greatswords against those swordmasters will *not* be as effective. 

IC knights: Again expensive, and again, completely different purposes.  You've got to invest heavily in them to make it worthwhile, often building your army around this particular unit.  But IC's will still get thier asses kicked against a lot of the nasties out there, and they can't kill enemies at a distance like the mortar.

And don't forget that the mortar is actually a pretty effective sniping weapon in a pinch.  Str 6 D3 wounds can knock out monsters, chariots, war machines and the like.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:09:21 PM by Pistol Pete »
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.