home

Author Topic: FFH's Spoilery trek into Lovecraftian Horror  (Read 8654 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: FFH's Spoilery trek into Lovecraftian Horror
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »
I sat in on a game or two in my college years, it was quite the hoot.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »
I played a lot many years ago my favorite horror setting. 1920's Call Of Cthulhu  is the best
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »
I am trying to get through some Lovecraft (From Beyond) before Halloween but its been difficult to do at work, but I did find some cool fan art from most of the stories I have already covered:

Don’t know how I missed these earlier. My library life would be complete if this was an actual series 😺
How I loved the original ones. Had to throw out my entire collection last year. Had every copy except in the Congo. Started the collection when I was 11. Also tossed my almost complete Asterix collection
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2019, 10:16:22 PM »
Eeek!  Tossing out comics?  That's sacrilegious! :icon_eek:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2019, 10:35:43 PM »
Eeek!  Tossing out comics?  That's sacrilegious! :icon_eek:

Yep. Not a good time. Top of a 30 yard dump box at 2:30 am in the pouring rain. I cringe at what I had to junk. Most of my book collection as well. Some survivors are going to border guy and Fidelis but some will come back in the new spot.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2019, 10:42:49 PM »
I should hope so.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
GUys! Guys! Guys! Nic Cage did a "Color out of Space Movie"!!!! It came out early September this year!  :icon_eek:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Out_of_Space_(film)
There are no trailers and it has Nic Cage so its got to be "good"   :-P

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
Ah okay, looks like it was released just at film festivals in 2019 but now a trailer dropped for Color Out of Space to release in theaters in 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYAXMwCpk0
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2019, 06:05:15 PM »
Hmmm ... doesn't really entice me to go see it.

Haven't read the book, yet maybe it would have been better in appropriate period attire for era it was written?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »
I would absolutely love an AHS style Lovecratian show where its set in 1920s and each season is a different Lovecraft tale. Like one season could be Herbert West: Reanimator, then the next season would be Shadow Over Innsmouth (I would rip the plot straight from the Call of Cthulhu Xbox game though with the detective story), then maybe an episodic season "Tales of Miskatonic U" where we can cover Dunwich Horror, Whisperer In Darkness, Call of Cthulhu,  Mountains of Madness, any anything else that has Miskatonic University characters. Different actors every season with different tales. Then again Whispers in Darkness could probably be its own season.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2021, 05:59:05 PM »
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »
From Beyond:

As mentioned previously, I've tried to read this one numerous times but kept getting distracted or just couldn't get into it/keep focused. Which is surprising, considering its a very short story (like 3-5 pages). I've been on a Lovecraft kick lately, even jotting some stuff down last night in regards to my retelling of "A Shadow over Innsmouth," and binging on some Lovecraft YouTube videos. I decided to open my tome of H.P Lovecraft and beat my head against this story to finally come through and finish it. I had to re-read the first page and a half several times and I have come to the realization that it just seems kind of dense. Maybe it is because each time I tried to pick this story up it had been awhile since I read Lovecraft, whom is notorious for denser purple prose, and my brain was just not synced up with his writing style. Like an atrophied muscle, I had to really work it out and get it back up to speed to get through it. After the first page and a half being re-read 4-5 times I fell back into the groove and the rest of the story seemed easier or at the very least more interesting.

The story begins with The Narrator (I will call him Wendel), as Lovecraft is true to form and has an unnamed narrator again. Its like an art for him. Wendel brings up his scientific friend Crawford Tillinghast, that kicked him out of his house when Wendel last visited him 10 weeks prior. They had an argument over whether Tillinghast should pursue his proposed experiment to prove that there are things that exist outside our perception. Wendel remonstrates several times which lead to his ejection from Tillinghast's home. After 10 weeks, Wendel receives a note to visit Tillinghast. When he visits, Tillinghast is not looking so good. He has wasted away looking almost skeletal, like a man that has been avoiding food and sleep for about as long as Wendel and Tillinghast were departed. All of Tillinghast's servants had left 3 days prior, which was a shock to Wendel because he was good friends with one of the servants and found it odd that the friend didn't stop by to let him know what happened. Tillinghast brings Wendel to the attic where he had built a machine that allows someone to see/feel/hear/perceive the world around them and see into the "ultra-violet." This machine showcases them in purple. After witnessing some extra-dimensional jellyfish, Tillinghast reveals that the servants all disappeared because they alerted the creatures of this dimension to their presence and were taken by some predators, in fact there's a predator right behind Wendel! Tillinghast invited Wendel over to kill him since Wendel didn't support Tillinghast in his endeavor. Wendel, who carries a gun ever since being mugged, shot the machine which brought them out of the bridge of realities. Tillinghast gets so angry he has a stroke and dies. The police arrested Wendel but after doing a through investigation he is released since he didn't murder Tillinghast. The doctor tells Wendel that the machine caused Tillinghast to hypnotize Wendel and that everything is fine. Wendel would be willing to believe the doctor, if it wasn't for the fact the bodies of the missing servants were never found.

Again, it was a bit hard to get into, but the second half was rather fun and I could see this being a 30 minute episode of an anthology series in my hypothetical AHS style show.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2021, 01:41:01 AM »
So, for those that remember this post from the Gaming thread:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38381.msg1079355#msg1079355
Where I visited Castle Hill in Massachusetts? Well today I found out that it is right next to the Lovecraft township of Innsmouth! I really should do a "Lovecraft Tour" some day.

― Jake the Dog