home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 805962 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11150 on: June 06, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »
So, did someone try out Total War: Thrones of Britannia?

It looks to me, from a brief look, like it doesn't have anything spectacularly new, but very well thought-out improvements to the core game mechanics. Such as actual army food supply and resulting attrition, internal politics that seem actually feudal for once, and a division between walled major and unwalled minor settlements. A combination that should simultaneously make capturing fortified settlements harder, while providing other ways of effectively punishing your enemies for hiding behind their walls.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11151 on: June 06, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
It doesn't look good guys. After the failure of Buttfuckfield 4, I've decided to dive into Mordheim, full-time.

This game sucks. It's unbalanced, the combat is offensively simple and the camera is your worst enemy. Oh and the A.I. is ALWAYS stronger.

Why the hell did I bought it, together with every, single DLC?

Can’t wait to read this review on your blog 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #11152 on: June 06, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
It doesn't look good guys. After the failure of Buttfuckfield 4, I've decided to dive into Mordheim, full-time.

This game sucks. It's unbalanced, the combat is offensively simple and the camera is your worst enemy. Oh and the A.I. is ALWAYS stronger.

Can’t wait to read this review on your blog 😸

It's going to contain a lot of swear words. Just FYI. :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11153 on: June 06, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
So, did someone try out Total War: Thrones of Britannia?

It looks to me, from a brief look, like it doesn't have anything spectacularly new, but very well thought-out improvements to the core game mechanics. Such as actual army food supply and resulting attrition, internal politics that seem actually feudal for once, and a division between walled major and unwalled minor settlements. A combination that should simultaneously make capturing fortified settlements harder, while providing other ways of effectively punishing your enemies for hiding behind their walls.

I like it quite a lot, put in a reasonable amount of time at Dyflin so far. Feels like a good blend of TW and many of the additions mods in the M2TW era added. My old college roommate was less interested so far as TW: Warhammer has spoiled on roster variety for battles but I quite like the boring right out of WAB Shieldwall type rosters you get in Thrones.

My own qualms are mainly:

CAI- If you build a good economy and have a rather strong army few foes will be interested in ever tangling with you. Even the random Norse armies that land to carve out new Kingdoms will ask for friendship. I mean this probably shifts if you have a crappy family and when your King dies a weak heir takes over but with proper grooming you should be fine.

Poor Expansion- While there are missions to give you the pseudo expansion goals they are a bit limited. Dyflin insists on you taking over the other Norse ports of Ireland which are a bit of a campaign move away rather than giving you more stress with your immediate neighbors.

Late Game issues- Many of the management things that you really need to do early game fall away later when army size and economy make them unimportant. The game itself limits you to only 10 governed provinces which further bottlenecks the worry of not always having the most loyal of vassals.

In general though I would recommend it.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11154 on: June 06, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »

Hmm not my experience at all. There is a point where if you have had some poor luck early the missions they give, you are against way better warbands but then you need to scout for better mission options. You need to pick missions which you have a reasonable chance of getting the objective for and accepting that early you will churn through Henchmen, serious injuries to Characters often make it that you need to restart.

I will agree the camera can get really dodgey at times and can cause the AI to hang up at random points.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11155 on: June 06, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
Well, perhaps. The problem is that I've picked the average missions, whenever I could (now I can only pick brutal and hard, despite sending scouts). On those average missions the A.I. was always stronger, had always better results in combat (Von Carstein henchman dealing my Witch Hunter captain 49 damage, when I've dealt an average of 19-21 in return) and... there's no tactics. None. It's just "rush B cyka". Missile weapons are useless, the gang bang strategy is the only valid one... Not to mention that the A.I. cheats horribly. On missions where we're supposed to be scattered all over the map, my guys are indeed all alone, while my enemy is usually bundled together in small groups. Fuck. That.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:58:06 PM by Xathrodox86 »
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11156 on: June 06, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
On missions where we're supposed to be scattered all over the map, my guys are indeed all alone, while my enemy is usually bundled together in small groups. Fuck. That.

Yeah never take a mission like that unless you have no other choice. Hard or Brutal missions where you can at least turtle up you warband or keep them together are far better options.

Notes on weapons missile weapons can be useless early with poor BS troops but help a lot after skill increases. Most of my time has been spent with Human Mercs and my Captain and Youngblood almost always carry duelings pistols to open games and then switch to secondaries later. Good alternate sets of weapons in important. Rushing is often the AI tactic but one always has to play local superiority and try and hold enemy warbands at good bottlenecks with high parry or dodge units.

Honestly Skaven are the worst to face with their high initiative and good dodge. Early game they suck to face when they can overwhelm a flank on you. Later when you have more solid dudes and can get them to fail their poor all alone checks you have a good chance.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11157 on: June 06, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
So far I've fought with 2 x Witch Hunter warbands (defeated them all), one Reiklander (wrecked them) and one Von Carstein (they've wrecked me). I'll play today some more, maybe try to choose some brutal missions to see how well I'll manage. Thanks for the tips S.O.F! :::cheers:::

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11158 on: June 06, 2018, 01:55:56 PM »
I've decided to part with my old copies of Knights of the old republic 1 and 2. I no longer need them. Ten years ago, they were the only things I seemed to care about. I always used to play the stories through a different chain of events to see if I could hear all of the companion characters humorous remarks.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #11159 on: June 06, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
I've tried Battlefield 4 on my new and shiny PC.

The ammount of bugs, glitches and bad gameplay decisions, coupled with a bug which made me unable to finish the game, made mi uninstall this piece of shit in a record time.

Off to TW:W!

Are you talking about the single player campaign? Forget that - it's awful and bugged indeed. Multiplayer is where the game shines.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11160 on: June 07, 2018, 03:05:16 AM »
Anyone tried Inquisitor Martyr yet?  It looks okay, but I'm not convinced it's worth US$45 (which is nearly sixty of my local dollarydoos).  Maybe if there's a sale...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11161 on: June 07, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
@Victor: Yeah, single player. When it comes to multi I'm addicted to Vermintide, Insurgency and Left 4 Dead 2.

@Brad: It's Diablo in 40K. Looks good but I'd wait for it to get cheaper.

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11162 on: June 07, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »
I'm really pumped for Martyr but I'm waiting for a sale. I just don't buy games on full price anymore, not when I've got dozens of good games in my steam library that deserve more time.

@Xath, I love Insurgency. It's got a real nice quick pace, your always moving, but there are some great firefight tactics. Some of my favorite moments with the games involve me and the last survivor of my team moving tactically, corner to corner, back to back.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11163 on: June 08, 2018, 06:36:20 AM »
I just don't buy games on full price anymore, not when I've got dozens of good games in my steam library that deserve more time.

Same.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11164 on: June 12, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »
I'm really pumped for Martyr but I'm waiting for a sale. I just don't buy games on full price anymore, not when I've got dozens of good games in my steam library that deserve more time.

@Xath, I love Insurgency. It's got a real nice quick pace, your always moving, but there are some great firefight tactics. Some of my favorite moments with the games involve me and the last survivor of my team moving tactically, corner to corner, back to back.

Yeah, Insurgency, especially if you play it with a buddy, is an extremely fun experience. Maybe we could play together one day Gankom. I would like that. :happy:

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11165 on: June 12, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
Sounds great to me Xath! I actually have you on my steam list already and see you on sometimes. Next time I do, I'll send a message. Timezones might be 'fun' but I bet we'll figure it out.

Insurgency is absolutely great with friends. Even without mic's, just knowing someone on the team and having an idea what their skill level is can give you a good grip on the battlefield.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #11166 on: June 13, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »
There are times that I hate not having access to current games.  The Jurrasic Park Evolution game looks like everything I ever wanted as a child.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11167 on: June 13, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
I fee the same about Warhammer Total War.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #11168 on: June 13, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »
I fee the same about Warhammer Total War.

I've had that moment, too...
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11169 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
Jurassic World Evolution is another one on my list of games that looks awesome but will have to wait for a sale.

There us to be a Jurassic park game, and I can't remember the name for the life of me, that was essentially Age of Empires in Jurassic Park. You were fighting other humans, Dino NPC's were everywhere attacking everyone, and you could capture eggs to raise attack dino's yourself.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11170 on: June 13, 2018, 04:54:05 PM »
my pc can juuuuust about run TWarhammer, but not 2. waiting to upgrade!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11171 on: June 13, 2018, 05:19:11 PM »
I'm approaching the finale I think, so it's time to give some more thoughts on Divinity: Original Sin 2 after having played it a bunch.

It's amazing. Easily one of the best RPGs in recent years, perhaps ever. I know, I said a lot of gushing things about PoE2 as well (and it IS good!), but this is an entirely different animal. It allows an amazing degree of freedom when approaching problems. Basically, if you're thinking "wouldn't it be cool if I could do X to solve this?" the answer is pretty often "well, you can!"

The combat system especially is one of the best I've ever seen, certainly in terms of tactical depth. Graphics are lovely IMO (I know that some people call it dated, I don't get it), and the performance is impressive. Once one of the huge hub areas is loaded, there probably won't be any more loading screens for a long time. Every single line of dialogue is voiced. Music is good. Plot is nothing special, but it's well delivered. I mean, it's high fantasy as fuck, but I don't mind some cliches as long as they're handled competently (which they definitely are). It really does force some choices out of you, you won't be able to see everything in one playthrough - much moreso than in many other RPGs. Some stuff hard locks out other stuff, and quite early too. But that's okay. The game lets you play how you wanna play.

Oh, and you can co-op with your friends. Did I mention you can co-op with your friends? Because you totally can. And you're all Special Mc Specialpants in your party, so no need to determine hero/sidekick.

It does have some bad - the inventory system could use a rework, I missed a "force move" button at some point because I wanted to walk somewhere in combat and there was something to pick up there and the cursor kept defaulting to the hand icon... uhhh... well...
There really isn't a  lot of bad. There's a fucking reason this thing is rated so highly. FUCKING GEDDIT YOU NERDS. Thank me later.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11172 on: June 14, 2018, 12:59:01 PM »
Sounds great to me Xath! I actually have you on my steam list already and see you on sometimes. Next time I do, I'll send a message. Timezones might be 'fun' but I bet we'll figure it out.

Insurgency is absolutely great with friends. Even without mic's, just knowing someone on the team and having an idea what their skill level is can give you a good grip on the battlefield.

I'll give You a call. Mics or no mics, this is going to be fun. :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11173 on: June 14, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
Hearts of Iron 4 has a Fallout Mod that looks sick AF! It is called "Old World Blues" and it takes place in 2275 (around the time FO3 takes place) and is exclusively in the west coast area.  If I can somehow find some free time I will need to check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9rgGECMWg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1303741106
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #11174 on: June 18, 2018, 10:16:40 PM »
So, I've been playing total war: Warhammer 2, as the high elves. Starts out well enough, bit of an issue with Sartosan pirates showing up every now and then at first, but eventually I absorb all the elven factions except Yvresse (which controls the east of Ulthuan) and Avelorn (which controls the west of Ulthuan). Leaving me in control of the south, and the central ring. And Caledor, because they got uppity. After sealing a non-aggression pact with Khemri to my south, this basically means that whatever invader comes in from the east or west is basically either Avelorn's problem, or Yvresse's. So far, so good.

Next, because sitting on an objective while performing rituals is boring, I decide to take out the competition; Naggaroth, Hexoatl and clan Pestilens. I journey north-west with five or six armies and begin conquering all of Malky's lands, after a rather tiresome spell of rooting out clan Rictus. Which is where the problem started.

Because the skaven keep ambushing me. Which is a problem, because I have three armies of 16-18 units each working together. Clan Rictus has one army, of 20 units. But because the rats get to perform an ambush (ie take one of my armies and fight it without reinforcements), they kill off my armies one by one. Took me some time but I managed to beat them. Sadly the southern expedition of two armies sent to take out clan Pestilens (they had three settlements, and were at war with five factions, it seemed like an easy win) was killed off in short order. And of course, all the allies I made in the south (Tor Elasor, Lybaras) don't lift a finger trying to fight clan Pestilens, because clan Pestilens is hidden in the ruins. Of which there are three. The same amount of settlements clan Pestilens has remaining. Do the bloody math.

Anyway, abandoning the fight in the south, I focus on Naggaroth, which is now rat-free. Sure enough the Druchii are hardly a problem, And before you know it they have only three settlements remaining, which I have parked five of my armies next to. Then Morathi spawns with a truckload of units. Next turn Hellebron and Malekith do the same. These guys literally only have three settlements remaining (and not big ones, either), and somehow they're pumping out more units than me. And killing my armies while they're at it.

Ok then, what about Hexoatl? I've got three armies on them, while Teclis is fighting them from the south. I'm about to attack their capital and disrupt their ritual to boot, and what happens? Lord Mazdamundi saunters into the city, plonks down and hey, suddenly my 60 units are incapable of defeating his forty, because some of mine are wounded and most of his are terror-causing dinosaurs. He leaves the city, I besiege it again, but before I'm done building a battering ram he's back, defending the city. I wait for him to leave and attack him, he flees, then next turn he ambushes and kills one of my armies. Sigh.

Oh, and meanwhile all three factions are performing their rituals- the dark elves are doing their penultimate ritual, lizardmen and rats are about ready to do their last ritual. I'm still on the second because I felt sitting around doing nothing was boring.

Sort of getting tired of it...
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!