home

Author Topic: Gathering Storm - Fall of Cadia  (Read 18055 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: Gathering Storm - Fall of Cadia
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
There are two options:

1) Ynnead ate Slaanesh and absorbed him/her.

2) Ynnead tried to eat Slaanesh, but something went wrong.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
Who is Ynnead?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 01:47:48 PM »
Eldar god of the dead, created by the Eldar to destroy Slaanesh.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 12:59:58 AM »
Ah, not up on Eldar fluff, thank you!

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
My thoughts on Fall of Cadia

Shout out to Creed though.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
Shout out to Creed though.

Give that man a hand!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »

Doesn't change them, just adds to them with more formations, like how to make a combo Sister/Black Templar list, some new relics, and what looks to be a kind of "Storm of Magic" but with psychic powers.

Thanks, but does it print all the existing stuff as well?

I am angling here to see if rather than buy the Imperial Agents codex, I can buy the Gathering one instead.

Though from what I hear of current GW policies they seem to spread options over loads of books, so you have to buy them all. FR1DAY was complaining his current army is spread over 4 books.

Alas, I have neither book, so I can't give any details (but if I do pick them up, I will post here).

I agree with yours and others assessment of GW policies. I play Daemons, and wanted to get at the fluff and rules for them in the Wulfen book, but opted not to pay the $70 for a few pages.

OK, this one is mostly for Mids; I picked-up "Fall of Cadia" and, no, they do not re-print the contents of Imperial Agents in this book. The only Datasheets are for the three main characters (Archmagos, Celestine and the new Inquisitor), some new formations and missions, and a new "warp storm" table which can totally screw you over/help you win if you bring a psyker. It DOES give a list of six new relics/artifacts for both the Sisters and Ad-Mech armies, and six new tactical objectives for you Inquisitor types.

As far as fluff goes, I'm only up to chapter one, and basically Cadia and it's allies (Sisters, Space Wolves, Dangels and Black Templars) getting curbed-stomped by Abaddon and Co. Also, Be'lakor and some homies somehow create a warp rift right in the middle of the Phalanx, but, with the help of the Legion of the Damned, the Imperial Fists win the day, even though the starfort gets busted up enough to need to return to the shipyards on Mars for repairs. On the way to Mars, they receive Creed's call for help from Cadia, and decide, even though they are badly damaged and have only a skeleton crew, to skip the red planet and head straight to Cadia. Elsewhere, the Archmagos keeps digging for some lost relic on some far away planet because voices in his head tell him some truly important shit is to be found there, despite fighting a losing battle against an Ork Big-Mek and his Waaagh!.

The writing so far is in the EXACT same style as Fantasy End Times, so depending on whether or not you enjoyed that (I did, but understand I like overly dramatic, desperate shit), will determine how much you like the story here. Also, I was VERY well versed in Fantasy fluff, but have only been playing 40K for about a year-and-a-half, and don't know half of 40K fluff like I know Fantasy.

I'll post more when I read it.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
The writing so far is in the EXACT same style as Fantasy End Times

My thoughts exactly, and that's why I'm completely not interested in that whole Gathering Storm buisness. I'm having a bad case of deja vu...

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
If they screw 40K with crappy fluff ... uh boy. :icon_rolleyes:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »
If they screw 40K with crappy fluff ... uh boy. :icon_rolleyes:

It already is pretty poor atm, so I would not hold my breath. :icon_frown:

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
I'm not sure what you're referring to when calling it pretty poor.

At the same time, advancing the timeline might not be a bad idea, let's just hope it isn't done as badly as WFB to W:AoS.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
I think the 40k fluff is pretty remarkable.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »
It's written poorly, with huge gaps in fluff logic (Black Templars and an Inquisitor taking help from the Eldar for example). Also it looks too much like a promotional pamphlet for their new minis, than an actual, engaging story, which would make people care for. At least in my opinion.

Gneisenau

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2017, 11:38:25 AM »
I didn't have an issue with the xeno collaboration.  What was the alternative, dying as Cadia exploded?
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
They've collaborated with them, after the planet blew up, if I recall correctly.

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
Is there a novel for this or is it from the army books?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Is there a novel for this or is it from the army books?

No novels, so far. Which is strange. Even the End Times recieved a bunch of (very poorly written) tie-in novels. Maybe we'll get something in the future?

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
It's written poorly, with huge gaps in fluff logic (Black Templars and an Inquisitor taking help from the Eldar for example). Also it looks too much like a promotional pamphlet for their new minis, than an actual, engaging story, which would make people care for. At least in my opinion.
So are you referring to the 40K fluff being poor before this story advancement, regarding this story advancement, or both?

And where is the new fluff coming from/located or whatever?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
So are you referring to the 40K fluff being poor before this story advancement, regarding this story advancement, or both?

Well I mean 40K's fluff, in general, has been going downhill for some time, in my opinion of course. It's written in either a manner that is too epic, or downright ludicrous. GW has shown that while they don't give a crap about Chaos in the actual game, in the fluff it's the big winner. Look at the End Times. Nothing that heroes could do, would help them. Archaon literally won because he won, because Chaos is awesome and edgy. Same with 40K. Abaddon leads the 13th Black Crusade and there is nothing that the defenders can do to stop him. The Emperor has been consistenly shown as a brain-dead moron, who bit more than he could chew and now he's paying the price. The Imperium never could've won, in fact no other faction, aside from Chaos of course, could have won.

Prominent BL authors, like Aaron Dembski-Bowden reinforce that claim, by outright stating that "lol Imperium be dead son". At the end of the "Master of Mankind", a very good book by the way, ADB states that the Imperium is coming to an end in a manner, that really leaves no illusions as to what he means.

So my question is: why should anyone, other than Chaos players, actually care for their game, unless they're simply playing it for fun or competitvely and second question is: why is GW so damn schizophrenic. They're stating that Chaos will win, but the current Chaos meta is horrible. Also their current business and PR model, while admittedly much better, than the one from few years back, literally leaves many factions in the dust. Tyranids and Orks are borderline unplayable. The Guard is viable only, if you either take mass tanks or ally yourself with the Inquisition. The Dark Eldar are medicore to the extreme. Meanwhile we get endless updates for Space Marines, turning them into a riddicolously OP army (grav weapon spam, never fun) or CSM, but their updates blow big time. The Traitor Legions book only really made Alpha Legion playable, but factions like the Word Bearers and Death Guard got the shaft.

Overall the current 40K, both in meta and fluff is just too overblown and over the top. I really hope that the 8th edition will trim the excessive rules system and make it more friendly, for every faction, not just the posterboys or the Eldar. It's no fun playing against an army that you cannot and will not defeat, no matter how hard you try. Not to mention that the current player base is full of douchebags and assholes, who gloat, are generally unfunny to play with or against and overall suck ass. Like really, when I've started 40K back in 2008, players were mostly ok. Now it's like a season for asshats and that's something that I can't stand.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:19:46 AM by Xathrodox86 »

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

\

To answer the part about where the new fluff is coming from. Gdubs released a big special book called The Fall of Cadia, that's pretty equivalent to the End Times books. Like how End Times: Nagash or whatever was the first book, Fall of Cadia is a fluff book moving the timeline forward that also has some formations and battles and such.

First Book is called Fall of Cadia and out already.
Second book is called Fracture of Biel-Tan and is either out this weekend or was last weekend.
Don't know what the third book is but whatever it is the ultramarines Primarch is back in it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »
 :icon_redface:

Oh, right, sorry about my confusion regarding where the new fluff was coming from, got it, and thank you!

:::cheers:::

Well I mean 40K's fluff, in general, has been going downhill for some time, in my opinion of course. It's written in either a manner that is too epic, or downright ludicrous. GW has shown that while they don't give a crap about Chaos in the actual game, in the fluff it's the big winner. Look at the End Times. Nothing that heroes could do, would help them. Archaon literally won because he won, because Chaos is awesome and edgy. Same with 40K. Abaddon leads the 13th Black Crusade and there is nothing that the defenders can do to stop him. The Emperor has been consistenly shown as a brain-dead moron, who bit more than he could chew and now he's paying the price. The Imperium never could've won, in fact no other faction, aside from Chaos of course, could have won.
Ah, well I've been ok with the 40K fluff prior to the current story advancement.

As far as the changes, I haven't read it, yet what I've seen here seems to be advancing the story line, so far, and not an outright "world" or universal change like with W:AoS.

As for the issue of Chaos in the fluff vs. Chaos in the game, doesn't mean they won't release new rules and codexes to advance the game in that direction as well.

Overall the current 40K, both in meta and fluff is just too overblown and over the top. I really hope that the 8th edition will trim the excessive rules system and make it more friendly, for every faction, not just the posterboys or the Eldar. It's no fun playing against an army that you cannot and will not defeat, no matter how hard you try. Not to mention that the current player base is full of douchebags and assholes, who gloat, are generally unfunny to play with or against and overall suck ass. Like reall, when I've started 40K back in 2008, players were mostly ok. Now it's like a season for asshats and that's something that I can't stand.
Are you defining "meta" as being the game itself under the current rules?

As for the "player base", it is always going to have folks that are going to be challenging.  However, where there is a will, there's a way to choose who we play with, except for perhaps tournament play.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:51:55 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »
Yeah, I mean the current rules set, together with all the additional material, like formations, data sheets and so on.

Chaos recieved and update lately, the aforementioned Traitor Legions book and it's generally ok, but like I've said - compared to the Angels of Death supplement for SM, it sucks. Like, ok, there are few cool things here and there, but overall it's lacking. For example CSM can't use each other's tactics i.e. Night Lords can't use Black Legion tactics and so on. Meanwhile the AoD allowed White Scars to use Iron Hands formations and so on, and so on.

As for the player base - again, I agree. The thing is that in 40K's case it's harder and harder to find someone, who's not a complete tool. Powergamers have the time of their lives in the current meta, and are not really ashamed about bringing a trio of Wraithkinghts or Riptides to the table. You can rarely see a SM army without a shitton of Grav weapons and a formation that lets you charge after a deepstrike and get relentless for your heavy weapons. These are only some of the examples of why 40K is going down the drain (in my opinion) and why I've actually decided to stick more to WFB/WFRP. People playing Fantasy are generally cooler, more down-to-earth and more laid back.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:49:17 PM by Xathrodox86 »

Gneisenau

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »
So, as the story continues, Celestine and Co save the day for Creed and the boyz, and Abbadon gets pissed that his Daemon Prince homie couldn't get the job done so figures "Well, if you want something done right . . ." and hits palentside with the Black Legion in tow. Colour Sergeant Jarran Kell goes out like a boss saving Creeds life. Creed is saved again by Celestine by knifing Abby in the back, who gets scared and runs away, but the Cadian Gate is destroyed. Creed stays behind to cover the evac as the Phalanx leads a rag-tag fleet of humanity to safety (Battlestar Galactica, anyone?). Creed is then the sole survivor on Cadia and is whisked away by an unknown force (Trazyn?)

As for the player base - again, I agree. The thing is that in 40K's case it's harder and harder to find someone, who's not a complete tool. Powergamers have the time of their lives in the current meta, and are not really ashamed about bringing a trio of Wraithkinghts or Riptides to the table. You can rarely see a SM army without a shitton of Grav weapons and a formation that let you charge after a deepstrike and get relentless for your heavy weapons.

Sorry to hear that, brother. We have the same douchebags here in Texas, but I have a close gaming group of about 1/2 dozen guys who play fluffy but competitive lists and we always have a good time. Too bad Warsaw isn't closer to Dallas, we could roll dice. :)
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
@TexasYankee I would love to take your offer and I'm happy to hear that you have a tight, cool group to play with. I generally also have a team like that, but the dreaded WAAC syndrome has begun to take roots there. Now only two of the guys are "normal", when it comes to playing games. :/

Gneisenau

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
So, as the story continues, Celestine and Co save the day for Creed and the boyz, and Abbadon gets pissed that his Daemon Prince homie couldn't get the job done so figures "Well, if you want something done right . . ." and hits palentside with the Black Legion in tow. Colour Sergeant Jarran Kell goes out like a boss saving Creeds life. Creed is saved again by Celestine by knifing Abby in the back, who gets scared and runs away, but the Cadian Gate is destroyed. Creed stays behind to cover the evac as the Phalanx leads a rag-tag fleet of humanity to safety (Battlestar Galactica, anyone?). Creed is then the sole survivor on Cadia and is whisked away by an unknown force (Trazyn?)

The sad thing is that you genuinely can't tell whether this is a joke or not.